The Full Wiki

More info on LAM Mozambique Airlines

LAM Mozambique Airlines: Wikis

Advertisements
  
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LAM – Linhas Aéreas de Moçambique SARL
Lam-logo.PNG
IATA
TM
ICAO
LAM
Callsign
MOZAMBIQUE
Founded 1936
Hubs Maputo International Airport
Focus cities Beira
Frequent flyer program Flamingo Club
Fleet size 8
Destinations 13
Headquarters Maputo, Mozambique
Key people José Ricardo Viegas (Chairman of the Board)
Website www.lam.co.mz/en

LAM – Mozambique Airlines (Portuguese: LAM – Linhas Aéreas de Moçambique) is the national airline of Mozambique based in Maputo. It operates scheduled services in southern Africa.[1]

Contents

History

The airline was established in August 1936 as DETA – Direcção de Exploração de Transportes Aéreos, as a division of the Department of Railways, Harbours and Airways of the Portuguese colonial government of Mozambique. It started operations on 22 December 1937.[1] Early in 1980, by Decree 8/80 of 19 November 1980, DETA was restructured and renamed LAM.[2]

In 1998 LAM was transformed into a Limited Company, adopting the denomination of LAM – Mozambique Airlines by Decree no. 69/98 of 23 December 1998.[2]

The State holds 80% of the shares of LAM and employees hold the remaining 20% of the shares. It has 795 employees (at March 2007). LAM wholly owns the airline Moçambique Expresso.[1]

A Limited Company incorporated by statute in Mozambique was formed in the last part of 1999. The Board of Directors is made up by the Chairman, Eng. José Viegas, Capitain João Abreu, LAM's Director of Operations, Dr. Jeremias Tchamo, the Financial Director of LAM, Mr. Armindo Matos the State of Mozambique's representative and Drº Afonso Sande the Workers Representative.[2]

Longhaul flights were initially operated with 707 or DC-8 equipment, then a DC-10 leased from UTA French Airlines during which time a Government IL-62M was sometimes used for additional capacity. The early 1990s were the peak of expansion with the DC-10 flying twice weekly to Lisbon (sometimes via Madrid) as well as one weekly flight routed Maputo-Paris CDG-Copenhagen-East Berlin, mainly to shuttle guest construction workers. For many years, the Lisbon flights would then operate a sector for TACV to Sal Island before returning to Maputo. After the DC-10 lease was terminated, Lisbon flights were operated with a South African Airways 747SP before a pair of 767-200's was secured. However, 767 services were short lived with management deciding to concentrate on regional routes and these aircraft spent most of their time leased to SAA ,still lam has african flight's

Destinations

Fleet

The LAM Mozambique Airlines fleet consists of the following aircraft (at 2 November 2009):[3]

Linhas Aéreas de Moçambique Fleet
Aircraft Total Passengers
(Business/Economy)
Notes
Boeing 737-200 4 114 (16/88)
Bombardier Q400 2 78 Operated by Moçambique Expresso
Embraer E-190 2 93 (9/84)
Lockheed L110-11 align=center

2

Total 10 Last updated: 13 january 2010

At 11 january 2010, the average age of the LAM Mozambique Airlines Boeing and Embraer fleet is 18.8 years.[4]

References

External links

Advertisements

Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message