The Full Wiki

More info on Lambton, Toronto

Lambton, Toronto: Wikis


Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

—  Neighbourhood  —
Lambton House Hotel on Old Dundas Street
Coordinates: 43°39′27″N 79°29′33″W / 43.6575°N 79.4925°W / 43.6575; -79.4925
Country  Canada
Province  Ontario
City Toronto Toronto
Community Etobicoke-York
Settled 1845
Changed Municipality 1998 Toronto from York
 - MP South of CPR:
Gerard Kennedy (Parkdale—High Park)
North of CPR:
Alan Tonks (York South-Weston)
 - MPP South of CPR:
Cheri DiNovo (Parkdale—High Park)
North of CPR:
Laura Albanese (York South-Weston)
 - Councillor South of CPR:
Bill Saundercook (Ward 13)
North of CPR:
Frank Di Giorgio (Ward 12)

Lambton is a neighbourhood in the City of Toronto, situated on the east bank of the Humber River north and south of Dundas Street West. It is bounded on the north by Black Creek, on the east by Jane Street and on the south by St. Mark's Road. The area west of Gooch Road is also known as "Warren Park", the name of the housing sub-division built in the 1950s. The portion south of Dundas Street is within the 'Lambton Baby Point' neighbourhood as defined by the City of Toronto.



The area's houses are primarily detached single-family dwellings. Apartment buildings exist along Dundas Street between the Humber and Gooch. A small number of storefronts are located along Dundas West west of Jane to Gooch Ave. A newly renovated library,Jane Dundas Branch,is located on the intersection of Jane and Dundas streets.


Lambton Mills

The area bounded by Royal York Road to the west, the rail line to the north, Scarlett Road to the east and Queen Anne's Road to the south was known as Village of Lambton Mills. It was settled in the 1840s. The name was linked to the mills (grist, saw mills, woolen mills) that operated along the Humber River from 1850 to 1915. Originally called Cooper's Mills (c. 1806) after William Cooper's Grist and Saw Mill, it was renamed in 1838 in honour of John Lambton, 1st Earl of Durham (High Commissioner and Governor General of British North America, who visited to the area.

Besides the mills, Lambton Mills had its own church, school, and post office. The only remnant of Lambton Mills is the Lambton House on Old Dundas Street West, open part-time as a museum.

Later development

The area east of Gooch was developed in the early 20th century as part of the expanding York Township, a suburb by then of Toronto proper. The area west of Gooch was developed after the 1950s, with the area only being fully developed by the 1970s. It had been market gardens.


Warren Park Junior Public School is a public elementary school on Varsity Road, near the intersection of Scarlett Road and Dundas Street. It was built in 1930. It was named after John Warren who served as a Trustee for the York Township Board of Education starting in 1926. The original school consisted of 4 rooms and the first principal was Mr. W. A. Wragg. In September 1971, two rooms in the old section of the school were taken over for the newly created Warren Park Outdoor Education Centre.


The area is served by the Jane bus from the Jane Street station on the Bloor-Danforth subway. The area is also served by the Lambton bus from Old Mill station.

See also

External links

Coordinates: 43°39′50″N 79°29′56″W / 43.664°N 79.499°W / 43.664; -79.499



Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address