The Full Wiki

Lambuth University: Wikis

Advertisements
  
  
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lambuth University
Lambuth University Logo (Trademark of Lambuth University)
Motto Whatsoever Things Are True
Established 1843
Type Private
President Dr. Bill Seymour
Staff 60
Undergraduates 815
Location Jackson, Tennessee, USA
Campus Urban, 50 acres
Colors Blue & White
Mascot Eagles
Website www.lambuth.edu

Lambuth University is a small, co-educational, liberal arts university located in Jackson, Tennessee. Lambuth is a church-related institution supported by the Memphis Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church. Lambuth's athletic teams participate in the NAIA's TranSouth and Mid-South Conferences. Since 1843, when it began as the Memphis Conference Female Institute, Lambuth has provided students an opportunity to use their intelligence in the service of God and humanity.

Lambuth University is located in Jackson, Tennessee, a city of about 55,000 people, in the heart of West Tennessee. Jackson is easily accessible by highways Tennessee State Route 20, US 45 and US 70 and Interstate 40. The city of Jackson is a major commerce center for West Tennessee and has three other institutions of higher learning in addition to Lambuth, a civic center, coliseum, symphony orchestra, excellent medical facilities, AA minor league baseball, performing arts center, parks, and shopping centers.

Lambuth has a limited enrollment with small classes; faculty members participate in research and scholarship, but their primary responsibilities are teaching and advising.

The University has a sequence of courses required of all students. These requirements include two courses in religion; competency in certain skills such as writing, speaking, and physical education; knowledge of subject matter such as natural science, mathematics, social science and computer science or computer information systems; two interdisciplinary courses, and comprehensive evaluation at the senior level. In offering such a sequence of courses, the faculty realizes that students need more than a certain number of hours in order to be educated. As the Purpose of the University clearly states, liberal education at Lambuth involves a reaffirmation of the Wesleyan emphasis on academic excellence and faith in a world that needs freedom of inquiry, careful analysis, communication, responsibility, and service to others.

Contents

History

On December 2, 1843, the Memphis Annual Conference of the Methodist Church received a charter from the General Assembly of the State of Tennessee authorizing the establishment of a college for women to be known as the Memphis Conference Female Institution (MCFI). Almost without interruption this institution served West Tennessee with an educational program for women that was widely recognized. In November 1921, the Memphis Annual Conference in Session at McKenzie, Tennessee voted to establish a coeducational institution of higher learning. Accordingly, the MCFI charter was amended on January 3, 1923 providing for coeducation, and the name was changed to Lambuth College in honor of the pioneer Methodist missionary bishop, Rev. Walter R. Lambuth, M.D.

The MCFI property, consisting of 5 acres (20,000 m2) on East Chester Street, was sold and the present site on Lambuth Boulevard was purchased. The administration/classroom building, now known as Varnell-Jones Hall, was erected in 1934-24. Dr. Richard E. Womack was elected president of Lambuth College on May 12, 1924, and accepted the College's first coeducational class on September 10 of the same year. Dr. Womack served as president until September 1952, at which time he resigned and was elected president-emeritus.

Dr. Luther L. Gobbel was elected president of Lambuth, and assumed his duties on October 12, 1952. In June 1962, Dr. Gobbel retired. Dr. James E. Wilder, Jr. assumed the duties of the presidency of Lambuth on July 1, 1962, and served until June 1, 1980, at which time he became chancellor of the College. Dr. Wilder retired in December 1981. Dr. Harry W. Gilmer assumed the presidency of Lambuth College on June 1, 1980. He resigned in October 1986, and Dr. Hugh A. Latimer served as interim president until June 1987. Dr. Thomas F. Boyd assumed the presidency on June 2, 1987. On July 1, 1991, Lambuth College became Lambuth University. Dr. Boyd resigned in February 1996. Dr. Joseph R. Thornton, III, who was Vice President of Church Relations and University Chaplain, served as interim president until January 1997. W. Ellis Arnold was elected president of Lambuth in November 1996, and he assumed his duties on January 1, 1997. Dr. R. Fred Zuker was inaugurated as Lambuth University's seventh president on April 2, 2005. Dr. Zuker left the university in mid-November 2008. Dr. Jerry Israel, President Emeritus of the University of Indianapolis, was named Interim President on November 21, 2008 and served in that capacity until October 15, 2009. The Lambuth Board of Trustees unanimously selected Dr. Bill Seymour as the eighth president in Lambuth's history and announced their selection in a press conference on October 16, 2009. Dr. Seymour came to Lambuth from Maryville College where he served as Vice President of Administrative Services.

On March 20, 2007, Lambuth's Lady Eagles basketball team defeated TranSouth Athletic Conference rival Cumberland University (Tenn.) 63-50 to win its first NAIA title at the 27th Annual NAIA Division I Women's Basketball Tournament at Oman Arena in Jackson, Tennessee.

Greek System

Sororities

Fraternities

Notable alumni

External links

Advertisements

Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message