Commune of Le Raincy
|Paris and inner ring départements|
|Canton||Le Raincy (chief town)|
|Mayor||Éric Raoult (UMP)|
|Elevation||51–114 m (170–370 ft)
(avg. 83 m/270 ft)
|Land area1||2.24 km2 (0.86 sq mi)|
|Population2||12,961 (1999 census)|
|- Density||5,786 /km2 (14,990 /sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||93062/ 93340|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
|2 Population sans doubles comptes: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.|
Le Raincy is a commune in the eastern suburbs of Paris, France. It is located 13.2 km (8.2 mi). (8.2 miles) from the center of Paris. Le Raincy is a sous-préfecture of the Seine-Saint-Denis département, being the seat of the Arrondissement of Le Raincy.
Its population is small relative to surrounding communes - close to just 13,000 people. However its development as an administrative centre, along with the establishment over the years of a large number of schools, gives it more prominence than its population size would suggest.
In the 17th and 18th century, Raincy was known primarily as location of the Château du Raincy, now demolished. The commune of Le Raincy was created on 20 May 1869 by detaching a part of the territory of Livry-Gargan and merging it with a part of the territory of Clichy-sous-Bois and a small part of the territory of Gagny.
the arms of le Raincy are blazoned :
|motto: "Heri Nemus Urbs Hodie" (in French: "Forêt j'étais, Ville je suis" ; in English "Yesterday a Forest; Today a City).|
The town today receives visitors - mainly to see the Notre-Dame du Raincy church. Designed by the brothers Auguste and Gustave Perret and built in 1922-1923, this was the first church to be built in reinforced concrete, and with no external ornamentation. The architecture is remarkable for the classicism of its columns, greatly enhanced by the stained glass windows of Maurice Denis and Marie-Alain Couturier. The church is listed as an historic monument. It was restored in the 1990s, and is in regular use. Many of the visitors to the church come from Japan, as a smaller replica of Notre Dame du Raincy was built in the Tokyo suburbs.
Le Raincy is served by Le Raincy – Villemomble – Montfermeil station on Paris RER line E.
Le Raincy is twinned with: