Lockheed Shipbuilding and Construction Company (a.k.a. Lockheed Shipbuilding), was a shipyard in Seattle, Washington on Harbor Island at the mouth of the Duwamish River. Founded in 1898 as the Puget Sound Bridge and Dredging Company, the company that built Harbor Island, it was purchased by Lockheed in 1959. The shipyard was permanently closed in 1988.
The Lockheed Shipyard Operable Unit consisted of an 18-acre (73,000 m2) shipyard facility located on the west side of Harbor Island at 2929 16th Avenue Southwest. The Lockheed Shipyard was a shipbuilding facility from the 1930s until 1988. It was bounded on the north by Southwest Lander Street, on the east by 16th Avenue Southwest, on the south by the Fisher Mill property, and the west by the West Waterway of the Duwamish River.
Lockheed constructed several Knox class frigates for the United States Navy in the late 1960s and early 1970s. These ships included the USS Rathburne (FF-1057), the USS Reasoner (FF-1063), the USS Stein (FF-1065), the USS Bagley (FF-1069), and the USS Robert E. Peary (FF-1073).
Beginning in the mid-1960s and extending into 1971, Lockheed built and delivered seven landing platform dockships (LPDs) of the Cleveland and Trenton classes for the US Navy. These were the USS Denver (LPD-9), the USS Juneau (LPD-10), the USS Coronado (LPD-11), the USS Shreveport (LPD-12), the USS Nashville (LPD-13), the USS Trenton (LPD-14), and the USS Ponce (LPD-15).
Between 1971 and 1977, Lockheed built two Polar-class icebreakers for the US Coast Guard.
Lockheed won the largest shipbuilding contract in its history in 1974, when the US Navy ordered two submarine tenders to support the Los Angeles class nuclear submarines. A subsequent order announced with launch of the lead ship, USS Emory S. Land (AS-39) in 1977, added a third ship to the class. The Land and the USS Frank Cable (AS-40) joined the Navy in 1979, with the USS McKee (AS-41) joining the fleet in 1981.
In 1978, Lockheed won the contract to construct the USS Whidbey Island (LSD-41) amphibious support transport ship. Lockheed delivered the Whidbey Island class ships USS Germantown (LSD-42) and USS Fort McHenry (LSD-43) in 1986 and 1987 respectively.