From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lørenskog (help·info) is a municipality in Akershus county, Norway. It is part of the traditional region of Romerike. The administrative centre of the municipality is the village of Lørenskog. Lørenskog was separated from the municipality of Skedsmo on 1 January 1908.
The municipality (originally the parish) is named after the old (and no longer existent) Leirheimr farm. The first element is leirr which means "clay" and the last element is heimr which means "homestead" or "farm". Thus: "the farm built on clay ground". The suffix skógr (meaning "wood") was added later, changing the meaning to "the woodlands around the farm Leirheimr". Prior to 1918, the name was spelled "Lørenskogen".
The coat-of-arms is from modern times. They were granted on 26 July 1957. The arms show a red waterwheel on a gold background. Sawmills, driven by waterwheels, used to be an important part of the municipality's economy.
The municipality is located just east of the capital, Oslo, with many main roads going through it. Almost all the inhabitants live in the northern part of Lørenskog. The southern parts consist of forest, while farms and grain fields occupy the space in between. An important train station is situated in the district. Within Lørenskog, Losby is known for its waterwheel, which is represented in the municipal coat-of-arms of Lørenskog. Losby Golf and Country Club is located within the municipality.
From 2006-2008, workers renovated the village of Lørenskog (the administrative center of the municipality), also called the "Metro Senter". This renovation includes a considerably larger shopping mall, a bus terminal with buses going in and out of Oslo every 15 minutes, perhaps a subway station, and the new Mailand Upper Secondary School.
The following cities are twinned with Lørenskog: