The Full Wiki

More info on Los Angeles Country Club

Los Angeles Country Club: Wikis

Advertisements
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Los Angeles Country Club
Club information
Location 10101 Wilshire Blvd
Los Angeles, California
Established 1897
Type Private
Total holes 36
Website The Los Angeles Country Club
North Course
Designed by Joe Sartori, Ed Tufts, Norman Macbeth, and Charles Orr
Par 71
Length 6,895
Course rating 74
South Course
Designed by Joe Sartori, Ed Tufts, Norman Macbeth, and Charles Orr
Par 70
Length 5,909
Course rating 68.7

The Los Angeles Country Club is a golf and country club in Los Angeles, California.

History

In the fall of 1897, a group of Los Angelenos organized a voluntary association to further the cause of one of Southern California's newest sports. The Los Angeles Golf Club, as they called themselves, leased a 16-acre (65,000 m2) vacant lot at the corner of Pico and Alvarado (now part of the Alvarado Terrace Historic District) and laid out a nine hole golf course. Called "The Windmill Links", the course was named for a makeshift clubhouse crafted out of the bottom of an abandoned windmill. Through the middle of 1898, this site served as the club's home until the course became too crowded. The Club located its next site at what was called Pico Heights at Hobart and 16th Street. The new home was named "The Convent Links" for its location behind a convent near Rosedale Cemetery. Again, nine holes were laid out for play, but by the spring of 1899, this course and clubhouse had also become overcrowded.

The search committee for a new site, consisting of the club founders Joe Sartori and Ed Tufts, found the club's new home just 0.2 miles (0.32 km) west of the Convent site. The Club's new home was to be at the Northeast corner of Pico and Western. The clubhouse was transported intact to the new site and was expanded there. More importantly, the club finally laid out its first 18 hole golf course.

After years of planning the new club in Beverly Hills officially opened on May 30, 1911. Its stately clubhouse, tennis courts, and 36 holes of golf have served as the club's home ever since. The original golf course was laid out by Joe Sartori, Ed Tufts, Norman Macbeth, and Charles Orr. Later, the courses were redesigned by Herbert Fowler and George C. Thomas, Jr. In 1996 and 1997 an extensive renovation of the North and South courses was completed.

In its 100 years, the course played host to the Los Angeles Open (now known as the Northern Trust Open) in 1926, 1934, 1935, 1936, and 1940. Joe Norwood 1892-1990 was the head professional at these tournaments. He was also a charter member of the Professional Golfers Association - Southern California Chapter which was formed in 1924.

Coordinates: 34°04′19″N 118°25′23″W / 34.071893°N 118.423133°W / 34.071893; -118.423133

Advertisements

Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message