|Antenna or spire||142.0 m|
|Floor area||27220 m²|
The 14 floor central section is rectangular and stands at 197 feet (60 m) in height. Attached to each corner of the building is a 10 story tower, giving the overall building the shape of an "H".
The central section is topped by a radio broadcast tower. This was originally the broadcast tower for WXYZ radio (both WXYZ-AM and WXYZ-FM (now WRIF), and television, until the station moved to new facilities in 1959. Some sources put the height from the base to tip of antenna at 450 feet (137 m).
Construction on the building began in 1926, and was finished in 1927. The building was originally constructed for the fraternal organization Knights of the Maccabees which later established the Royal Maccabees Insurance company.
Surplus space in the building was leased to other businesses, including retail business on the ground floor and office space in the upper floors. One noteworthy tenant was Detroit's radio and television station WXYZ. The station had its studios, offices and broadcast facilities in the Maccabees Building from 1930 until 1959. From 1959 until 2001, the studios, transmitter, and tower were used by WDET FM.
The "Lone Ranger" radio show debuted and was broadcast from this building in 1933. It later went on to become a popular T.V. show and had movie spin-offs. During the 1950s, Soupy Sales performed in the lower level studio.
In 1960, the Maccabees relocated their headquarters to a new building in Southfield, Michigan - a suburb of detroit. In 1986, they built new 251,000-square-foot (23,300 m2) office building, once again in Southfield. These newer buildings are also sometimes referred to as the "Maccabees Building"
The Maccabees Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
In 2002 DPS paid the owner of the Fisher Building $24.1 million in so the district could occupy five floors in the building; the Fisher Building now serves as the DPS headquarters. In 2002, the Maccabees Building was bought by Wayne State University to serve as an office building. The building now houses offices for Wayne State University in Midtown Detroit. The building has a number of uses, including offices, communication, retail, and even has university rooms for Wayne State University.