|IATA: MAG – ICAO: AYMD|
|Operator||Papua New Guinea Office Of Civil Aviation|
|Source: World Aero Data |
During World War II, occupied by the Imperial Japanese Army in January 1943, as a forward operating airfield for aircraft based at Wewak. Later expanded to a 3250' x 240' runway with a single taxiway with 31 revetment area. Bombed by the allies during late 1943 and early 1944 the airfield became unserviceable.
Liberated by Australian Army forces on April 24, 1944. A large amount of high octane fuel was captured and used by the Australians for use in the Royal Australian Navy motor lauch boats. The airfield was repaired and used by the Royal Australian Air Force until the end of the war.