From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Maid Sama!, known in Japan as Kaichō wa Maid-sama! (会長はメイド様! lit. The Student Council President is a Maid!), is a shōjo manga series by Hiro Fujiwara. It is currently serialized in Hakusensha's monthly shōjo manga magazine, LaLa. There are currently 8 published volumes under the Hana to Yume Comics imprint in Japan. In their Anime Expo 2008 panel, North American publisher Tokyopop announced its various newly licensed series and that Kaichō wa Maid-sama! would be titled Maid-sama!. An anime adaptation is scheduled for TV broadcast in April 2010.
Seika High School, once an all-boys school notorious for its wild students and for generally being a terrifying place for girls, has recently become a co-ed school. With the female population still a minority and living in fear of the over-the-top antics of the males, Misaki Ayuzawa takes it into her own hands to reform the school and allow the girls to feel safe in the rough environment.
Training, studying and even becoming the first female student council president of the school, Misaki has gained a reputation among the male students body as an uptight boy-hating dictator and as a shining hope for the teachers and fellow female students. However, despite her tough-as-nails appearance, she secretly works part-time at a maid cafe in order to support her family. Unfortunately, her hard-earned reputation is threatened when the popular and somewhat impassive Usui Takumi takes an interest in her after discovering her in a maid uniform after school.
Seika High School
- Misaki Ayuzawa (鮎沢 美咲 Ayuzawa Misaki)
- Voiced by: Sanae Kobayashi (drama CD) Voiced by: Ayumi Fujimura (anime),
- The protagonist of the story, Misaki is the first female Student Council President at Seika High and known for her extremely demanding and aggressive attitude towards boys, relentlessly attempting to reform them to live up to what she considers are acceptable standards of behavior. Though many of the male students fear and even hate her, the ones who get to know her come to see that she's actually very fair and willing to help anyone who needs it. She eventually becomes widely respected for her exceptional academic ability, her great athletic skill, and her many accomplishments as President. Her negative attitude towards males is mostly attributed to her father amassing with a huge debt and then disappearing; Misaki became determined to make sure her spacey and helpless mother, Minako (美奈子) would not have to work so hard to support both Misaki and her younger sister, Suzuna (紗奈). To this extent, she secretly and, at first reluctantly, works as a maid-waitress at Café Maid Latte. Misaki is always driven to do her best regardless of the endeavour, and has a strong sense of justice, though she also has a tendency to forget her own well being in the process of helping others. She gradually develops feelings for Usui Takumi, but refuses to acknowledge them until volume 7 of the manga, when she tells Usui how confused she is about her feelings when he is around her. After Misaki is re-elected as President, she finds Usui on school's roof, and he stands behind her with his arms around her waist; though he tells her she can run away if she dislikes it, she doesn't, saying "it's not like I hate this," to which Usui responds "I don't intend to let you run away, Ayuzawa." She recently turned seventeen.
- Takumi Usui (碓氷 拓海 Usui Takumi)
- Voiced by: Tomokazu Sugita (drama CD) Voiced by: Nobuhiko Okamoto (anime)
- One of the most popular boys at Seika High, Usui appears to take little interest in anything and prefers to observe things as they unfold, though he proves to be extraordinary talented in a number of different fields -- including cooking, playing the violin, playing chess, and understanding table etiquette-- which indicates that he is from a wealthy family. He's in fact an illigitamate child: his rich mother (whose maiden name is Usui) had an affair with an unknown japanese man. She died giving birth to Takumi. To keep this fact secret his english grandfather sent him to his grandmother's familly in Japan, thus having little contact with his older british half-brother. Adopted by his mother's cousin, most of the education he received was tutoring, explaining his academic excellence. But tired with this he preferred to attend to a standart high school, his familly paying for his highrise appartment where he lives alone. During his first year, he quickly became popular among the girls, but not being interested he systematicaly rejected them when they confessed, thus being considered like a bully by Misaki. At the beginning of his second year, he develops an interest in Misaki being the first to learn she is working at a maid café, but chooses to keep her secret. He regularly tells Misaki he likes her, but she dismisses his behavior simply as a joke or harassment; because of this, along with his uncanny ability to appear whenever she needs him, his wide-ranging skills, and the fact that he survived jumping off the school's roof into the swimming pool, Misaki often refers to him as a "perverted space alien" (or some variation thereof). Regardless, he continually helps and watches over her, offering insightful advice on how to deal with the boys at Seika effectively and even becomes possessive of her (especially around Shintani Hinata). At one point, he tells Kanou that he doesn't want to date a girl seriously, which Kanou initially misunderstands as Usui not being serious about the President; later, however, Kanou realizes that "dating" and genuinely caring for/loving a girl are different things to Usui. While Misaki is campaigning for re-election as student council President, she asks him to stay away from her for the length of the race so that his popularity won't unfairly influence voting in her favor. Usui agrees but replies, "...and it's such valuable, precious little time..." implying that his time with Misaki is limited. Though the reasons for this aren't known, Usui's mysterious meeting with Miyabigaoka High School's student council president is most likely related in some way. Soon after he meets with his former tutor Maria Miyazono, who became teacher at his high school. Because he didn't want to tell her about his past and believing that he could have a romantic relationship with Maria, Misaki started to fell depressed. But after that Usui informs her that it's in fact Maria who has a crush on her, tells her to be prudent about that and agrees to reveal his history. In the book on his character information it said that he is seventeen years old
- Hinata Shintani (深谷 陽向 Shintani Hinata)
- A childhood friend of Misaki who came to Seika High in search of his one-sided first love; Misaki. When they were children, he was an overweight boy who Misaki saved when he fell from a tree. He fell in love with her, but soon moved away to live with his grandfather in the countryside when his parents died. When he returns, his appearance changed considerably from losing so much weight (supposedly from eating nothing but vegetables), though he remains a glutton. He admires Usui's strength and talent, though Usui seems indifferent to Shintani outside of his monopolizing Misaki's time. He refuses to give up on Misaki despite being fully aware of her and Usui's feelings for each other, having resolved prior to moving that he would not let Misaki having a boyfriend deter him. Misaki's mother and sister both note that he physically resembles Misaki's father, though he claims that he would never abandon the people he cares about.
- Shouichirou Yukimura (幸村 祥一郎 Yukimura Shōichirō)
- Voiced by: Hiro Shimono (drama CD) Voiced by: Kazuyoshi Shiibashi (anime)
- The Vice President of the Student Council, he tries to help Misaki where he can, and enjoys office routine. At first, he, like the rest of the student council, is fearful of Misaki, but he eventually comes to be on fairly close terms with both her and Usui. Yukimura is hard-working, earnest, and capable of doing most administrative work, but is not athletic in the least, especially in comparison to Misaki and Usui. His gentle, almost feminine demeanour and slight stature make him appear somewhat weak, a fact he is sensitive about, even lamenting his lack of strength for his inability to be more helpful to Misaki. He's both terrified and in awe of Usui, after Usui kisses him as a "reward for his hardwork" (which, unbeknownst to all, Usui only did to make light of kissing Misaki, after noticing that she was visibly upset and incredibly jumpy around him). Yukimura has a seven-year-old sister named Rui.
- Naoya Shirakawa (白川 直也 Shirakawa Naoya)
- Voiced by: Hiroyuki Yoshino (drama CD) Voiced by: Mitsuhiro Ichiki (anime)
- A male student at Seika High School who initially dislikes Misaki because of her forceful methods of reforming Seika. He and his friends discover that she works at a maid café early on in the story, but after he is defended by Usui, they quickly become her biggest fans, as well as regulars at Cafe Maid Latte, often referred to as the "idiot trio." His nickname is “Shiroyan.”He also used to be a delinquent in middle school known as White Demon.
- Ikuto Sarashina (更科 郁斗 Sarashina Ikuto)
- Voiced by: Tetsuya Kakihara (drama CD) Voiced by: Takuma Terashima (anime)
- The second of the “idiot trio,” which includes Shirakawa Naoya and Ryuunosuke Kurosaki. A closet otaku, he is actually good at drawing manga illustrations and enjoys writing. His friends call him “Ikkun.”
- Ryuunosuke Kurosaki (黒崎 龍之介 Kurosaki Ryūnosuke)
- Voiced by: Yūichi Nakamura (drama CD) Voiced by: Yoshimasa Hosoya (anime)
- The third member of the “idiot trio” who frequent Cafe Maid Latte, nicknamed “Kurotatsu.” Known for being the perverted one and likes "erotic things". Also used to be a delinquent in middle school with Shiroyan.
- Sakura Hanazono (花園 さくら Hanazono Sakura)
- Voiced by: Kana Hanazawa (anime)
- A good friend of Misaki's and one of the few female students at Seika High, Sakura is friendly and cheerful and, like the rest of the girls, relies on Misaki for protection from the wild behaviour of the boys. She is quite popular amongst the boys, but frequently rejects their confessions; in particular, she’s rejected ex-rugby captain Masaru Gouda (剛田将 Gōda Masaru) one hundred times. According to Shizuko, Sakura falls in love without carefully considering what the person is really like, as exampled by her persistent feelings for the two-faced, womanising singer of a popular band from a nearby high school.
- Shizuko Kaga (加賀 しず子 Kaga Shizuko)
- Voiced by: Yū Kobayashi (anime)
- One of Misaki and Sakura’s friends, a sensible and intelligent girl who often spends lunchtime with them. Shizuko is a member of the flower arranging club and is good at math, but isn’t very good at physical activities. She has an older brother in university and a younger sister in junior high school; according to Sakura, the three of them look very alike.
- Soutarou Kanou (叶 爽太郎 Kanō Sōtarō)
- A withdrawn male student who is initially against Misaki as the student council President because of her aspirations of increasing the female population of Seika High. In order to sabotage her presidency, Kanou tries to hypnotize Misaki, Usui, and the student council with his pupil-less eyes (one of the very few, random supernatural aspects of the series) into ruining Misaki’s reputation. It is revealed that his gynophobic attitude comes from his mother abandoning his family when he was young and his father warning him to be wary of women, and after failing to hypnotize Misaki, she punishes him by assigning him to work closely with his female classmates during the school's cultural festival, in hopes of forcing him to get over his fear. The punishment is ultimately successful, and he slowly becomes friendlier with Misaki and the rest of his female peers, as well as with Yukimura. Though he runs against Misaki during her re-election as President, he opposes using underhanded means to gain victory, remains on good terms with her, and is genuinely surprised when he realizes his supporters weren't aware of the extent of all that Misaki had accomplished, asking them "didn't you guys already know that the student council president is an incredible person?"
- Maria Miyazono (宮園 マリア Miyazono Maria)
- A young and attractive English teacher at Seika High. She may have non-japanese ancestry because of her name and the comments on her looks. It's also hinted that she had lived in a wealthy environment. She's an acquaintance of Tora Igarashi who made her join this high school, in order to make Usui quit Seika High. Wearing revealing clothes, having a large bust and looking very small and cute, she attracts the attention of male teachers and students since her first day at school. Consequently, Misaki begins to make everything to ensure her protection. Later Misaki learns that Maria and Usui know each other very well and she begins to think that Maria may become a rival. But the truth is revealed when Maria confess her love to Misaki moved by the way she took care of her: Maria was sent to seduce Masaki not Usui (who is in fact a former student of her). She has a fiance, Shinji, but she considers him as a mere childhood friend. She also knows about Misaki's part time job.
- Satsuki (さつき)
- Voiced by: Rie Tanaka (drama CD) Voiced by: Aki Toyosaki (anime)
- The manager of Café Latte and Misaki’s boss, a 30 year old woman who has a tendency to voice out her fantasies. She is a cheerful woman who enjoys her job because it allows her to make others happier. She is very understanding of Misaki’s circumstances, knowing that Misaki does not particularly enjoy working at a maid café, and is perceptive of other people’s feelings. Satsuki also ends up hiring Usui as a part-time cook, much to Misaki’s chagrin.
- Honoka (ほのか)
- Voiced by: Kana Asumi (anime)
- An employee at Café Latte. She can become somewhat maniacal about getting in character for her job and criticizes Misaki for her initial resistance to acting parts outside of her comfort range, as well as for being ashamed of working at Maid Latte and hiding it from her peers.
- Erika (エリカ)
- Voiced by: Mariya Ise (anime)
- A college student working at Café Latte. She notes that Misaki is strong and picks up work quickly, and claims that it doesn't feel like Misaki is younger than her. She has a tendency to eavesdrop and is described as having a “voice fetish.”
- Subaru (すばる)
- Voiced by: Kana Ueda (anime)
- An employee at Café Latte. Like Honoka, she does not have a full-time job and makes a living from part-time work. She considers Misaki to be hard working.
- Sayu (さゆ), Gon-chan (ゴンちゃん)
- Two other employees at Café Latte. Sayu is 18 and Gon-chan is 20 years old. They do not appear often.
- Aoi Hyoudou (兵藤 葵 Hyōdō Aoi)
- Voiced by: (Japanese), Yuki Kaida (English) (drama CD) Voiced by: Hiromi Igarashi (anime)
- Satsuki’s nephew, the son of Satsuki's older brother, a junior high school student who enjoys dressing like a girl, "cute things", and being the center of attention. His androgynous features allow him to pass off as a girl and his female persona is well-known as a cute internet idol. Aoi enjoys toying with the feelings of men, but is eventually exposed as a boy by Misaki. He is generally short-tempered and has little patience. He becomes embarrassed after doing something kind or showing affection for someone, then becomes angry(he can't show his true feelings very well). Misaki is under the impression that he hates her; he frequently scolds her for her poor fashion sense and unfeminine strength. Even so, it seems he has some sort of interest in her (not necessarily romantic). He later yells at Misaki for not being more decisive about her relationship with Usui, and for leading Shintani on, even if she was doing it unintentionally. It's this scolding that eventually pushes her admit to Shintani (and probably for the first time, clearly, to herself) that she does in fact have feelings for Usui.
- Nagisa Hyoudou (兵藤 なぎさ Hyōdō Nagisa)
- Satsuki’s younger sister and Aoi's aunt, Nagisa is the manager of a beach house known as “Ocean House.” She asks for Satsuki and her employees to come and work at her beach house during the summer since her shop is not as popular as she would like. Nagisa is somewhat tough on Aoi for trying to dress like a girl because her older brother sent Aoi to her beach house to become more masculine.
Miyabigaoka High School
- Tora Igarashi (五十嵐 虎 Igarashi Tora)
- Voiced by: Kenichi Suzumura (anime)
- The Student Council President at Miyabigaoka High School, he initially appears as a gentleman who marvels at Misaki and the changes she has brought to Seika High, offering her a chance to come to Miyabigaoka with an exceptional loan. He is quickly revealed to be a lecherous young man who has become bored with the women surrounding him, who are easily submissive because of his wealth. He enjoys causing drama around him and he thinks that money can buy anything. Misaki's strong will and outright rejection of his monetary bribe to have her join the Miyabigaoka Student Council captures his interest. It is later revealed that Tora has some ties to or knowledge of Usui's past or background, which he may be exploiting to some as of yet unknown end.
- Kanade Maki (真木 奏 Maki Kanade)
- The Vice President of the Student Council at Miyabigaoka High, he and Igarashi attempt to buy out Café Latte and change it into a butler café. Misaki, Usui, and the Café Latte staff are able to prevent him from realizing his plans through a competition.
- Hirofumi Koganei (小金井博文 Koganei Hirofumi)
- A bespectacled student at Miyabigaoka High School who looks down upon Seika students. After insulting two students for taking an interest in chess, they hit him and Misaki forces them to go with her to apologize to him. When she discovers the reason why they attacked Koganei, she demands that Koganei apologize to her students as well. He agrees, only on the condition that they defeat him in chess, which Usui does with little trouble. Koganei is ranked fourth in the nation as a chess player. He was originally intended to be the president of Miyabigaoka High School Council by the author, but rejected by the editor.
A drama CD for Kaichō wa Maid-sama was released in Japan and Philippines.
The October 2009 issue of LaLa announced that a television anime adaptation of the series would be produced. It will be broadcasted in Tokyo Broadcasting Network and BS-TBS during Spring 2010. The April 2010 issue of LaLa revealed the broadcast date to be on April 1, 2010 at 1:55 midnight. The adaptation will also be present at the Tokyo International Anime Fair with Ayumi Fujimura, Nobuhiko Okamoto, Kana Hanazawa and Yū Kobayashi's attendance.
The staff list was announced and Hiroaki Sakurai will be directing the series with series composition done by Mamiko Ikeda who previous worked in the series composition for Emma: A Victorian Romance series and most recently the Rental Magica series and Hanasakeru Seishōnen while the animation character designs by Yuki Imoto and music composed by Tōru Motoyama. The series will be animated by J.C.Staff who previously worked on Honey and Clover and Nodame Cantabile. Ayumi Fujimura and Nobuhiko Okamoto will take on the role of Misaki Ayuzawa and Takumi Usui respectively.