|Marietta, Georgia, USA|
|— City —|
Cobb County courthouse in Marietta
Location in Cobb County and the state of Georgia
|- Mayor||R. Steve Tumlin, Jr.|
|- City Manager||William F. Bruton, Jr.|
|- Total||21.9 sq mi (22 km2)|
|- Land||21.9 sq mi (21.9 km2)|
|- Water||0.1 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,129 ft (344 m)|
|- Density||2,684.1/sq mi (1,036.2/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|- Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP codes||30006-08, 30060-69, 30090|
|GNIS feature ID||0317694|
As of the 2000 census, the city had a total population of 58,748, making it one of metro Atlanta's largest suburbs. Census estimates of 2007 indicate a population of 67,021. Marietta is the third-largest of three principal cities (by population) of and is included in the Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, Georgia metropolitan statistical area, which is included in the Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, Georgia-Alabama (part) combined statistical area.
In 1837 the Georgia Gazetteer reported that the city of Marietta was named for Mary Cobb, the wife of U.S. Senator and U.S. Supreme Court Judge Thomas Willis Cobb. The first plat was laid out in 1833. Like most towns, Marietta had a square in the center with a courthouse. The Georgia General Assembly legally recognized the town on December 19, 1834.
Built in 1838, Oakton is the oldest continuously occupied residence in Marietta. The original barn, milk house, smoke house, and well house remain on the property. The spectacular gardens contain the boxwood parterre from the 1870s. Oakton served as Major General Loring's headquarters during the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain in 1864. 
By 1838 roadbed and trestles had been built north of the city. In 1840, political wrangling stopped construction for a time. In 1842, new management decided to use the area that would become Atlanta. In 1850, the railroad began operation, which was another boost to industry.
During the 1850s, fire destroyed much of the city on three occasions.
In April 1862, James Andrews, a civilian working with Union soldiers, came down to Marietta dressed in civilian clothing and spent the night in the Fletcher House hotel (later known as the Kennesaw House and now the home of the Marietta Museum of History) located right in front of the railroad tracks. James Andrews and his men, known as the Andrews Raiders, had great plans to end the Civil War early. The Andrews Raiders got aboard the waiting train on the morning of April 12, 1862, with the rest of the passengers. When the train stopped in the town of Big Shanty, now known as Kennesaw, for the passengers to have breakfast, Andrews and the Raiders got back on the train and stole the engine and the car behind it, which carried the fuel. The train, called The General, and Andrews' Raiders had begun the episode now known as the Great Locomotive Chase.
General William Tecumseh Sherman invaded the town during the Atlanta Campaign in the summer of 1864. In November 1864, General Hugh Kilpatrick set the town ablaze, the first strike in Sherman's March to the Sea.
Leo Frank was lynched at Frey's Gin, just east of Marietta in 1913. (Frey was the county sheriff at the time.) Although it was for the alleged murder of Mary Phagan in Atlanta, it was primarily motivated by religious intolerance, as Frank was Jewish. This incident led to the founding of the Anti-Defamation League.
In the late 1960s, a amendment was passed to the Georgia State Constitution, giving home rule to the 159 counties in Georgia. Led by Ernest Barrett, the first county commission voted to demolish the historic county courthouse, which was located on the northeast corner of Roswell Street (former Georgia 120) and East Park Square (former Georgia 5) since 1888. This loss is now regarded as one of the county's biggest mistakes, and state law now requires a county-wide referendum before destroying historic county courthouses. Other historic buildings, such as the Works Progress Administration building, were also torn down at the time. The Glover Locomotive Works, which had been abandoned, was also torn down in the late 1990s despite its historic significance (although it was just outside city limits). As of 2010, another courthouse is under construction for the superior courts, adapting some minor design elements of the demolished courthouse.
The city has six historic districts, some on the National Register of Historic Places. A seventh, along Kennesaw Avenue, is proving more controversial, and is still being considered as of March 2010. The city's welcome center is located in the historic train depot.
At least two books have been produced chronicling the history of the city in pictures, both in the Then and Now series: Marietta (ISBN 9780738553146) and Marietta Revisited (ISBN 9780738566344).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 22.0 square miles (56.9 km²), of which, 21.9 square miles (56.7 km²) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.2 km²) of it (0.27%) is water.
|Average high °F (°C)||50
|Average low °F (°C)||28
|Precipitation inches (mm)||5.82
|Source:  2009-08-15|
As of the census of 2000, there were 58,748 people, 23,895 households, and 13,022 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,684.1 people per square mile (1,036.2/km²). There were 25,227 housing units at an average density of 1,152.6/sq mi (445.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 56.49% White, 33.50% African American, 0.32% Native American, 2.97% Asian, 0.09% Pacific Islander, 7.99% from other races, and 2.65% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 16.93% of the population.
There were 23,895 households out of which 27.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 35.4% were married couples living together, 13.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 45.5% were non-families. 32.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.39 and the average family size was 3.05.
In the city the population was spread out with 22.4% under the age of 18, 14.1% from 18 to 24, 39.4% from 25 to 44, 15.7% from 45 to 64, and 8.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 30 years. For every 100 females there were 101.3 males. For every 101 females age 18 and over, there were 100.3 males.
Mr. Hammett acted as Mayor until about July 1, 1864, at which time the City was invaded by the Federal Army and was occupied by them until November 15th, when it was evacuated. In the meantime a large portion of the City had been reduced to ashes.
On reestablishing order, C. C. Winn was elected Mayor for 1865 and served until October 1, when he resigned. A. N. Simpson was elected to fill the vacancy.
Note: T. M. Brumby, Sr. was elected for the 1898-1899 term, but resigned before taking the oath of office. A special election was held on January 8, 1898.
Ansley L. Meaders 1994 - 2001
(Six Wards - Representatives elected citywide)
Aldermen: Milledge G. Whitlock, James R. Brumby Sr., Tilman J. Atkinson, Eugene J. Setze, William E. Gilbert, Humphrey Reid
Aldermen: T. J. Atkinson, H. G. White, H. S. Anderson, Samuel Black, T. S. Hunt
Aldermen: A. S. Edmonston, Humphrey Reid, A. B. Gilbert, T. H. Hunt, H. S. Anderson, W. J. Hudson
Aldermen: A. M. Neese, W. C. McLellan, H. S. Anderson, N. B. Merryman, J. W. Henderson, W. G. Winn
Aldermen: J. W. Henderson, C. T. Shepard, T. L. Hunt, E. G. Setzo, T. W. Glover, George S. Owen
Aldermen: A. S. Clay, W. E. Grambling, J. W. Henderson, N. N. Gober, H. S. Anderson, Thomas W. Glover
Aldermen: A. S. Clay, W. E. Grambling, Thomas W. Glover, W. N. Grist, N. N. Gober, E. J. Setze
Aldermen: H. Reid, T. H. Cheek, D. N. Anderson, G. S. Owen, J. B. Campbell, William E. Gilbert
Aldermen: M. G. Whitlock, T. L. Hunt, J. H. Murray, T. W. Glover, W. R. Power, N. N. Gober
Council: Enoch Faw, Dr. J. D. Malone, J. G. Morris, R. H. Northcutt, George S. Owen
Council: Enoch Faw, J. G. Morris, J. W. Hardeman, W. A. Florence, W. L. Sessions, C. A. Guyton
Note: The Mayor and Council resigned before taking the oath of office. A special election was held January 8, 1898.
Council: B. L. McIntosh, Enoch Faw, J. Hamby, T. W. Read, J. Z. Foster, J. G. Morris
Council: D. W. Blair, Joe P. Legg, A. M. Dobbs, J. E. Mozley, C. A. Guyton, J. H. Bates
Council: John E. Mozley, C. A. Guyton, A. M. Dobbs, J. N. Gantt, Morgan L. McNeel, Dr. J. D. Malone
Council: A. M. Dobbs, W. E. Williams, W. A. DuPre, Joe P. Legg, T. M. Brumby, Jr., J. M. Stone
(Six Wards Drawn - 11/10/05)
Council: J. W. Hardeman (Ward 1), C. A. Guyton (Ward 2), J. M. Fowler (Ward 3), S. A. Garwood (Ward 4), W. D. Brown (Ward 5), N. M. Mayes (Ward 6)
Council: C. A. Guyton (Ward 1), J. N. Hardeman (Ward 2), J. M. Fowler (Ward 3), N. M. Mayes (Ward 4), J. H. Barnes (Ward 5), J. J. Craw (Ward 6)
Council: J. J. Black (Ward 1), C. W. Carter (Ward 2), S. C. McEachern (Ward 3), T. W. Read (Ward 4), J. N. Gantt (Ward 5), George Griffin (Ward 6)
Council: J. A. Benson (Ward 1), R. W. Northcutt (Ward 2), S. C. McEachern (Ward 3), C. W. Dupre (Ward 4), John P. Cheney (Ward 5), W. T. Potts (Ward 6)
Council: J. P. Groover (Ward 1), T. J. Grogan (Ward 2), J. R. Brumby Jr. (Ward 3), J. D. Black (Ward 4), Dr. W. M. Kemp (Ward 5), N. M. Mayes (Ward 6)
Council: J. J. Black (Ward 1), George V. Welsh (Ward 2), J. H. Groves (Ward 3), T. L. Wallace (Ward 4), M. D. Hodges (Ward 5), Virgil McClesky (Ward 6)
Council: J. J. Black (Ward 1), T. L. Wallace (Ward 2), J. J. Daniel (Ward 3), G. T. Northcutt (Ward 4), Virgil McClesky (Ward 5), E. L. Robertson (Ward 6)
Council: J. A. Benson (Ward 1), E. C. Gurley (Ward 2), J. J. Daniel (Ward 3), W. C. Carricker (Ward 4), E. R. Hunt (Ward 5), E. M. Smith (Ward 6)
Mayor, Gordon B. Gann Council: J. A. Benson (Ward 1), H. G. Smith (Ward 2), S. J. Goodwin (Ward 3), Guy H. Northcutt (Ward 4), E. R. Hunt (Ward 5), W. C. Carricker (Ward 6) Mayor James R. Brumby Jr. resigned February 9, 1922. Gordon B. Gann took office March 9, 1922. *
Council: J. J. Black (Ward 1), H. G. Smith (Ward 2), Charles M. Brown (Ward 3), G. F. Hagood (Ward 4), Len C. Baldwin (Ward 5), W. M. Kemp (Ward 6)
Council: Homer Hicks (Ward 1), H. G. Smith (Ward 2), Charles M. Brown (Ward 3), G. F. Hagood (Ward 4), Len C. Baldwin (Ward 5), W. M. Kemp (Ward 6)
Council: Homer Hicks (Ward 1), H. G. Smith (Ward 2), W. J. Horn (Ward 3), Harold Schilling (Ward 4), Len C. Baldwin (Ward 5), W. M. Kemp (Ward 6)
Council: D. B. Medford (Ward 1), J. L. Parker (Ward 2), T. J. Connor (Ward 3), W. P. Stephens (Ward 4), M. C. Wilson (Ward 5), W. H. Gober (Ward 6)
Council: Dempsey Medford (Ward 1), J. L. Parker (Ward 2), L. C. James (Ward 3), W. P. Stephens (Ward 4), * A. Steve Clay III (Ward 5),* William L. Vance Jr. (Ward 5), L. R. Hibble (Ward 6)
A. Steve Clay III resigned on September 26, 1933. William L. Vance Jr. was elected to Ward 5. *
Council: M. A. Morris (Ward 1), H. L. Hyde (Ward 2), B. M. Summerour (Ward 3), John W. Lewis (Ward 4), William L. Vance Jr. (Ward 5), Talmadge Abercrombie (Ward 6)
Council: M. A. Morris (Ward 1), H. L. Hyde (Ward 2), B. M. Summerour (Ward 3), John W. Lewis (Ward 4), C. K. Bogle (Ward 5), Talmadge Abercrombie (Ward 6)
Mayor, L. M. Blair Council: J. H. Groover (Ward 1), W. W. Lee (Ward 2) **, Frank Wellons (Ward 3), John Lewis (Ward 4), C. K. Bogle, George Thomas (Ward 5) ***, Talmadge Abercrombie, Charles Thomas (Ward 6) ****
Mayor T. M. Brumby Jr. died August 20, 1938. L. M. Blair elected mayor September 6, 1938. *
1/28/38 H. L. Hyde was elected but died before being sworn in. W. W. Lee was then elected to Ward 2. **
2/38 C. K. Bogle resigned. George Thomas was elected to Ward 5 ***
5/27/38 Talmadge Abercrombie resigned. Charles Thomas was elected to Ward 6. ****
Council: J. H. Groover (Ward 1), W. W. Lee (Ward 2), Frank Wellons (Ward 3), John Lewis (Ward 4), George Thomas (Ward 5), Talmadge Abercrombie (Ward 6)
Council: J. H. Groover (Ward 1), W. W. Lee (Ward 2), Frank Wellons (Ward 3), John Lewis (Ward 4), George Thomas (Ward 5), Talmadge Abercrombie (Ward 6)
Council: J. H. Groover (Ward 1), W. W. Lee (Ward 2), Frank B. Wellons (Ward 3), John W. Lewis, Earl D. Williams (Ward 4) *, George Thomas (Ward 5), H. P. Bishop (Ward 6)
John Lewis died April 8, 1944. E. D. Williams was elected to Ward 4. *
Council: J. H. Groover, Jackson W. Dobbins (Ward 1) **, W. W. Lee (Ward 2), Frank B. Wellons (Ward 3), Earl D. Williams (Ward 4), George Thomas (Ward 5), H. P. Bishop (Ward 6)
J. H. Groover resigned March 5, 1947. Jackson W. Dobbins was elected to Ward 1. **
Council: Jackson W. Dobbins, C. Clifford White (Ward 1) ***, Herman J. Brinkley (Ward 2), Luther C.Hames, Jr. (Ward 3), Earl D. Williams (Ward 4), Claude M. Hicks (Ward 5), William H. Hardy (Ward 6)
J. W. Dobbins resigned in October 1948. C. Clifford White was elected to Ward 1. ***
Ward 7 was added October 6, 1948.
Council: C. Clifford White (Ward 1), Herman Brinkley (Ward 2), Henry Williams (Ward 3), Earl D. Williams (Ward 4), Claude M. Hicks (Ward 5), William H. Hardy (Ward 6), Luther Morris (Ward 7)
Council: Betty L. Hunter (Ward 1), M. C. “Pete” Waldrep, Jr. (Ward 2), John Vincent Sinclair (Ward 3), E. Paul Sabiston (Ward 4), James C. Dodd Jr. (Ward 5), Frank T. Ayers (Ward 6), Philip M. Goldstein (Ward 7)
11/04/97 General Election
Council: Betty L. Hunter (Ward 1), M. C. “Pete” Waldrep Jr. (Ward 2), John Vincent Sinclair (Ward 3), * G. A. “Andy” Morris (Ward 4), * Rev. Anthony C. Coleman (Ward 5), James W. King (Ward 6), Philip M. Goldstein (Ward 7)
11/06/2001 General Election
11/27/2001 Run-off election for Wards 4 and 5 *
Council: Annette Paige Lewis (Ward1), Griffin Lee Chalfant Jr. (Ward 2), Holly Marie Walquist (Ward 3), Irvan Alan Pearlberg (Ward 4), Rev. Anthony C. Coleman (Ward 5), James W. King (Ward 6), Philip M. Goldstein (Ward 7)
11/08/2005 General Election
11/29/2005 Run-off election for Wards *
Council: Annette Paige Lewis (Ward 1), Griffin Lee Chalfant Jr. (Ward 2), Johnny Sinclair (Ward 3), Irvan Alan Pearlberg (Ward 4), Rev. Anthony C. Coleman (Ward 5), James W. King (Ward 6), Philip M. Goldstein (Ward 7)
The median income for a household in the city was $40,645, and the median income for a family was $47,340. Males had a median income of $31,186 versus $30,027 for females. The per capita income for the city was $23,409. About 11.5% of families and 15.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 21.3% of those under age 18 and 10.2% of those age 65 or over.
Dobbins Air Reserve Base on the south side of town and a Lockheed-Martin manufacturing plant are among the major industries in the city. The Lockheed Georgia Employees Credit Union, now open to non-employees, is based in Marietta.
The city operates Marietta Power under the auspices of the Board of Lights & Water (BLW). The BLW is also party to the Cobb-Marietta Water Authority. The city formerly operated Marietta FiberNet, a fiber optic network, but sold the network to American Fiber Systems for a substantial financial loss.
All of the public schools in Marietta proper are operated by the Marietta City Schools (MCS), while the remainder of the schools in Cobb County, but outside the city limits the schools are operated by the Cobb County School District, including all of the county's other cities. MCS is one of the smallest in metro Atlanta, with one high school, Marietta High School, grades 9-12; a middle school, Marietta Middle School, grades 7 & 8, Marietta Sixth Grade Academy, and several elementary schools: A.L. Burruss, Dunleith, Hickory Hills, Lockheed, Marietta Center for Advanced Academics, Park Street, Sawyer Road, and West Side.
The school system employs 1200 people and has consistently ranked among the top 15 percent of public school systems nationally for the past several years. MCS is an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School district. In 2008, MCS became only the second IB World School district in Georgia authorized to offer the IB Middle Years Program (MYP) for grades 6-10. MCS is one of only a few school systems nationwide able to provide the full IB (K-12) continuum.
Southern Polytechnic State University (SPSU), Chattahoochee Technical College and Life University are located in Marietta, serving more than 20,000 students in more than 90 programs of study. (CTC is actually in the Fair Oaks census-designated place, just outside the city limit.) WGHR at SPSU is the only radio station actually broadcasting from a studio within the city, although WFTD AM 1080 and WKHX-FM 101.5 (originally WBIE and WBIE-FM) have it as their city of license, as does WFOM AM 1230, and broadcast translator stations W222AF FM 92.3 and W49DE TV 49.
Downtown Marietta features Glover Park, the historic town square and former location of the county courthouse. The square is the site of several cultural productions and public events. Incorporated in 1993, Theatre in the Square is a year-round professional theater, producing a five-show subscription season as well as summer and holiday shows. The Strand Theatre has been renovated back to its original design and features classical films and other events. The Marietta Museum of History exhibits the history of the city and county. The museum is home to thousands of artifacts including items from Marietta residents and businesses. The Marietta Gone With the Wind Museum, also called "Scarlett On the Square", houses a collection of memorabilia related to both the book and the film.
The CSX freight trains between Atlanta and Chattanooga (Western & Atlantic Subdivision) still run a block west of the town square, past the train depot (now the Visitor Center) and the Kennesaw House, one of only four buildings in Marietta not burned to the ground in Sherman's March to the Sea. The Kennesaw House is home to the Marietta Museum of History which tells the history of Marietta and Cobb County.
MARIETTA, a city and the county-seat of Cobb county, Georgia, U.S.A., in the N.W. of the state, about 17 m. N.W. of Atlanta. Pop. (1890), 3384; 0900), 4446, of whom 1928 were of negro descent. The city is served by the Louisville & Nashville, the Nashville, Chattanooga & St Louis, and the Western & Atlantic railways, and is connected with Atlanta by an electric line. Marietta is situated about 1118 ft. above the sea, has a good climate, and is both a summer and a winter resort. The principal industries are the manufacture of chairs and paper, and the preparation. of marble for the markets; there are also locomotive works, planing mills, a canning factory, a knitting mill, &c. At Marietta there is a national cemetery, in which more than io,000 Federal soldiers are buried, and at Kenesaw Mountain (1809 ft.), about 22 m. west of the city, one of the fiercest battles of the Civil War was fought. After the Confederate retreat from Dalton in May 1864, General William T. Sherman, the Federal commander, made Marietta his next intermediate point in his Atlanta campaign, and the Confederate commander, General Joseph E. Johnston, established a line of defence west of the town. After several preliminary engagements Sherman on the 26th and 27th of June made repeated unsuccessful attempts to drive the Confederates from their defences at Kenesaw Mountain; he then resorted to a flanking movement which forced the Confederate general to retire (July 2) toward Atlanta. Marietta was settled about 1840, and was chartered as a city in 1852.