|— Neighborhood of San Francisco —|
The Palace of Fine Arts, one of the two surviving buildings of the Panama-Pacific International Exposition, is the centerpiece Landmark of the Marina District.
|Nickname(s): The Marina|
|- Board of Supervisors||Michela Alioto-Pier|
|- State Assembly||Tom Ammiano (D)|
|- State Senate||Mark Leno (D)|
|- U.S. House||Nancy Pelosi (D)|
|- Total||2 km2 (0.778 sq mi)|
|- Land||2 km2 (0.778 sq mi)|
|- Density||5,988.8/km2 (15,511/sq mi)|
The Marina District is a neighborhood located in San Francisco, California. The neighborhood sits on the site of the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition, staged after the 1906 San Francisco earthquake to celebrate the reemergence of the city. Aside from the Palace of Fine Arts (POFA), all other buildings were demolished to make the current neighborhood.
The area is bounded to the east by Van Ness Avenue and Fort Mason, on the west by Cow Hollow, Lyon Street and the Presidio National Park, on the south by Lombard St that bisects the southern edge of the Marina District. The nothern half of the Marina is a shoreline to the San Francisco Bay, and features the Marina Green, a picturesque park adjacent to the municipal boat marina from which the neighborhood takes its name.
The area in the 19th century prior to the 1906 Earthquake consisted of bay shallows, tidal pools, sand dunes, and marshland from nearby Crissy Field. Human habitation and development came in the mid to late 19th century in the form of a sandwall and of a road from the nearby Presidio to Fort Mason. Most of the sand dunes had been leveled out as a hodgepodge of wharves and industrial plants was built extending from what is now Laguna Street to Steiner Street. All of which was destroyed in the 1906 Earthquake that would destroy large swaths of the city.
During reconstruction of the city after the 1906 Earthquake, the area was chosen as the site of the Panama-Pacific International Exposition. Although rubble from the earthquake was used as part of the land reclamation, most of the landfill was from dredging mud and sand from the bottom of the Bay. After the end of the exposition in 1915, the land was sold to private developers, who tore down nearly all of the fair's attractions and developed the area into a residential neighborhood. This major redevelopment was completed in the 1920s. In the 1930s, with the completion of the nearby Golden Gate Bridge, Lombard Street (ow Highway 101) was widened, and soon developed into a strip of roadside motels.
Physically, the neighborhood has changed very little since its construction in the 1920s.
The neighborhood is most famous for the Palace of Fine Arts, and the Exploratorium a famous and renown children's museum, which take up much of the western section of the neighborhood, and are the only two buildings that were left standing from the 1915 Exposition. That section of the neighborhood is crowded with tourists year round.
The neighborhood is also most noted and famous for its demographic population which has rapidly shifted in the 1980s from mostly middle class families and pensioners, to twenty something to thirty something young urban professionals which now make up more than half of its population, although a very small, affluent middle age, to elderly population remains.  Most of these type of residents live a "swinger" lifestyle and have thus turned the neighborhood's main commercial streets, Chestnut Street, a section of Fillmore Street south of Lombard Street, as well Lombard Street itself into one of the city's more lively and famous nightlife scenes. The Marina Safeway is particularly notable for its swinger scene — it is frequently listed as one of the city's best pick-up spots and is affectionately known as the "Singles Safeway" or more recently, "Dateway." This concept was first popularized by the San Francisco author Armistead Maupin in his late 1970's novel "Tales of the City", a film version of which has been broadcast on PBS.