The Full Wiki

Marywood University: Wikis

Advertisements
  
  
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marywood University
Motto Sanctitas Scientia Sanitas
Established 1915
Type Private
Endowment $22.2 million as of 2006-2007 academic year
President Sr. Anne Munley, I.H.M., Ph.D.
Staff 259
Undergraduates over 2,000
Postgraduates under 1,000
Location Scranton, Pennsylvania, USA
Campus 115 acres (0.47 km2)
Colors Green and White
Mascot Pacer
Website www.marywood.edu

Marywood University is a coeducational, Catholic liberal arts university located on a 115-acre (0.47 km2) campus in Scranton, Pennsylvania. Established in 1915 by the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (Scranton) and currently enrolls approximately 3,300 students on a national award-winning campus considered one of the most beautiful in the northeast. The university is also a national arboretum with more than 100 types of trees and shrubs in a widely photographed hillside expanse. Twenty-seven academic, studio art, theater and administrative buildings, including a television studio and radio studio, broadcasting a four-time award winning FM radio broadcast produced by students, can be found.

Contents

History of the University

Scranton, Pennsylvania was an important city during the gilded age of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries due to the burgeoning anthracite coal industry. Working-class women, primarily wives and daughters of coal miners, did not have equal access to higher education like upper-class men and women living in the area. Marywood College was founded in 1915 to provide an affordable, Catholic education to women living in Northeast Pennsylvania.

Marywood College opened on September 8, 1915, with a class of 34 women, one of whom was Sister St. Mary Orr, IHM who later became its eighth president. In 1924, the Liberal Arts building opened. In 1928, O'Reilly Hall (now Regina Hall), an on-campus residence for students, was dedicated. In 1937, a major enhancement of the Liberal Arts Rotunda was completed.

The superiors of the Congregation of Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, served as the presidents of the College for almost three decades. Mother M. Germaine O'Neill, IHM was the first president. The actual administration of the College, however, was the responsibility of Sister M. Immaculata Gillespie, IHM, Ph.D., who served as dean from 1915 to 1943. Her influence on the College's growth and development was remarkable. The vast changes she witnessed during her lifetime, 1863-1947, were astounding. She responded with an openness to the challenges of life that gave Marywood its dynamism and confidence throughout many difficult years. Under her leadership, Marywood acquired degree granting powers in 1917, and these were expanded in 1922 to the awarding of the Master of Arts degree. In 1921, the College became one of the charter members of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. Mother Germaine also initiated the global dimension at Marywood, welcoming the College's first international students in 1917. For 28 years, her presence was a stabilizing and energizing force.

Sister M. Sylvia Morgan IHM, Ph.D. was the first president of Marywood College whose position was not the result of her being the superior of the IHM Congregation. Her administration and that of her successor, Sister M. Eugenia Kealy, were times of great expansion and growth. During this period, four new buildings were constructed, enrollment was almost tripled, accreditations in various professional organizations were achieved, and new academic programs were developed including an expanded graduate division. This growth and diversification occasioned a marked increase in the number of lay faculty members, who joined with the sister faculty in advancing the mission of the College.

Sister St. Mary Orr, IHM, Ph.D. led the College through the troubled sixties. This was, however, another decade of rapid growth and diversification. The Graduate School of Social Work was established in 1967, and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences became a separate entity in 1968. Five new buildings were dedicated between 1964 and 1968, including the Learning Resources Center , an addition that greatly enhanced the educational capacities of the College.

Sister M. Coleman Nee, IHM succeeded Sister St. Mary as president in 1970. The first year of her administration was marked with a dramatic crisis, the destruction by fire of the IHM Motherhouse, the building that housed the College in its first years. The subsequent years of her administration were more tranquil but no less challenging. Efforts to serve new student populations led to the opening of the Gillet School , a school for undergraduate male students and for adult and continuing education students. During her administration, Marywood responded to the direction set by the Second Vatican Council, intensifying traditional commitment to action on behalf of justice. While fostering students' personal development of values of justice and peace, the students would become competent and compassionate professionals, well equipped to address the challenges of the global society. Assuring excellent professional preparation led to the building of the Visual Arts Center and the expansion of the Human Services Center (now William G. McGowan Center for Graduate and Professional Studies) and the Health and Physical Education Center.

When Sister Mary Reap, IHM, Ph.D. became the tenth president in 1988, she assumed the leadership of a vibrant institution. As Marywood's longest-serving president, she fostered a legacy of progress, characterized by significant growth and an ongoing commitment to excellence that earned Marywood national accolades as one of the premier Catholic universities in the region. She provided leadership rich in the traditions of service, academic excellence, and responsiveness to the signs of the times. During her remarkable 19-year tenure, Marywood achieved: full co-educational status; dramatic campus expansion through the construction or renovation of 24 facilities, including several world-class facilities-the Insalaco Center for Studio Arts, the O'Neill Center for Healthy Families, the Mellow Center for Athletics and Wellness, and the Swartz Center for Spiritual Life, to name a few; a substantial increase in financial commitments from all donor constituencies; an emergence as the leading provider of graduate education in Northeast Pennsylvania and the first regional institution offering doctoral degree programs; the transformation from college to university status in 1997, and, in 2003, an academic restructuring of the University into four colleges. Since 2003, two of the four colleges have been named and endowed. The colleges include: The Sister Mary Reap, IHM College of Education and Human Development The Michael and Dolores Insalaco College of Creative Arts and Management The College of Health and Human Services The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences

In 2007, Sister Anne Munley, IHM, Ph.D., was elected to serve as Marywood's eleventh president. Bringing to the University her international expertise as an administrator, educator, and sociologist, Sister Anne is eager to further develop a culturally diverse and global educational experience for all students. Under her direction, Marywood University is poised to expand its long-standing global influence in empowering people through education to achieve their greatest potential.[1]

Academic Program and Rankings

Marywood's programs are administered through four degree-granting colleges, with 60 bachelor's degree, 36 master's degree, two doctoral degrees, two terminal degrees by program (MFA, Ed.S.): accounting, advertising and public relations, architecture (B.E.D.A., B.Arch., M.Arch., and interior architecture) art (graphic design, illustration, photography, ceramics, painting, sculpture, art administration and art therapy), athletic training, aviation management, biotechnology, business, communication arts, criminal justice, communication sciences and disorders (speech-language pathology), computer information and telecommunication systems, counseling, digital media and broadcast production, education (elementary and secondary), English, exercise science, financial planning, foreign languages, health services administration, history/political science (pre-law), hospitality management, human development, information technology, international business, kinesiology, marketing, math, medical technology, music (performance, music education, music therapy), nursing, nutrition and dietetics, Ph.D. human development, philosophy, physician assistant, psychology, Psy.D. (doctorate in psychology), science, special education, speech-language pathology (communication sciences and disorders), theatre and social work. All students are required to complete a core curriculum in the liberal arts in addition to the courses in their major. Undergraduates may also enroll in double majors, honors and independent study programs, practicums, internships, and study abroad, as well as Army and Air Force ROTC programs.

Marywood University is consistently ranked in the U.S. News and World Report's annual college rankings. Students who apply to Marywood compete for admission into other major universities like, The University of Scranton, Wilkes University, The Pennsylvania State University, Villanova University, and Lehigh University.

Athletics

Marywood University belongs to the NCAA Division III, Colonial States Athletic Conference (CSAC). The official name given is the Marywood Pacers. Marywood currently competes at the varsity level in baseball, basketball, cross-country, field hockey, lacrosse, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis and volleyball. Students may also choose from more than 30 intramural programs, including club sports, as well as fitness options, recreational classes and activity clubs.

Campus Buildings and Landmarks

The Rotunda The Liberal Arts Center, completed in 1923, is crowned with one of the campus' most distinctive architectural features, the dome of the Rotunda. foreground, Memorial Commons
  • Center for Natural & Health Science, is home to several majors including, Math, Science, Nursing & Public Administration and Physician Assistant.
  • Center for Spiritual Life
  • Fricchione Day Care Center, built in 1991, is a child development center open to the children of Marywood's staff, faculty and students.
  • Health & Physical Education Center, includes a swimming pool, fitness center, basketball/volleyball court, racquetball courts, aerobic room, gymnasium, saunas, and training room.
  • Immaculata Hall, was built in the 1950s. It was originally called Alumnae Hall, but it was later renamed to honor Sister M. Immaculata Gillespie, Marywood's first dean. It is home to the Undergraduate Admissions Office, the Institutional Research Office, and the President's office.
  • Insalaco Center for Studio Arts, built from 2000-2001, houses various artistic disciplines.
  • Learning Resources Center (LRC), built from 1964-1968, houses library services, instructional technology services, and computer training and user support services. The main floor of the LRC also houses the Study Grounds cafe which opened Fall 2009.
  • Liberal Arts Center (LAC), is home to many academic departments including: Religious Studies, Philosophy, Social Sciences, English, and the Foreign Languages Department.
  • Maria Hall, one of the original campus structures, now houses the Development area of University Advancement.
  • Media Center, is the home to TV Marywood, WVMW-FM 91.7, Instructional Technology Services and Distance Education and e-Learning.
  • Mellow Center for Athletics and Wellness, includes a 1,500 seat arena, a 5,000-square-foot (460 m2) fitness center and other athletic facilities.
  • Memorial Arch, built in 1902, originally held the inscription "Mt. St. Mary's" and marked the entrance to the original Motherhouse, which was the location of Mt. St. Mary's seminary. Even though the Motherhouse was destroyed by fire in 1971, the arch still stands as the welcoming landmark at the entrance of the campus.
The Memorial Arch , built in 1902, marks the entrance to the original Motherhouse, which was the location of St. Mary's Seminary.
  • Memorial Commons, built in 1975 as a remembrance of the original IHM Motherhouse that burned down in 1971 where the building once laid.
  • Nazareth Student Center, built in 1964, houses a lounge, a game room, the university Bookstore, the Office of Student Activities and Leadership Development, and other university offices.
  • O'Neill Center for Healthy Families, built in 2002, houses academic programs and research activities along with community programs and health care services.
  • Printing/Mailing Center, one of the original structures on campus, houses Marywood's post office and the campus print shop.
  • The Rotunda contains Marywood's Liberal Arts Center.
  • Sette LaVerghetta Center for Performing Arts (PAC), built in the 1950s as Assumption Hall, was rededicated in honor of Sette LaVerghetta in 1998. It is home to the Communication Arts and Music Departments.
  • Tony Domiano Early Childhood Center, built in 2000, provides space for about 60 children in pre-school and kindergarten.
  • Shields Center for Visual Arts, serves Marywood's art students. It has lab space for computer graphics, art history, and art therapy. On the first floor is the Mahady Gallery which has changing exhibits on a monthly basis.
  • William G. McGowan Center, renovated in 1998, was previously known as the Center for Human Services. It is home to the College of Education and Human Development along with the Counseling/Student Development Center and the School of Continuing Education.

Housing

  • Loughran Hall - Loughran Hall is a residence hall for Freshman students only. It also houses the Swartz Center for Spiritual Life, Marian Chapel, and the Conference Center.
  • Madonna Hall- Madonna hall is an upperclassmen dorm with co-ed floors. A full kitchen and movie theater are housing in here as well.
  • Regina Hall - Originally named O'Reilly Hall, this was the first student residence built at Marywood in the late 1920s. After the Motherhouse was destroyed by fire in 1971, the area that had once been the formal dining room was converted for use as a chapel. The chapel was then converted to what is now the Liguori Center. Regina Hall is still a residence dorm today.
  • Immaculata Hall - Originally built in the 1950s and named Alumnae Hall, it was later renamed Immaculata Hall to honor Sister M. Immaculata Gillespie, Marywood's first dean. Immaculata also has two floors of all single-room dorms for resident students.
  • Emmanuel Hall - All female small student residence dorm.
  • Perpetual Hall - All male student residence house.
  • McCarty Hall - Dedicated in November 1941, McCarty Hall was once used as a practice House for students majoring in vocational home economics. Today it stands as an all female residence house.
  • Bethany Hall - All female student residence house.
  • Woodland Townhouse Apartments - Apartments for upperclassmen residents. Two styles of apartments; housing 5 people or 6 people, either all male or all female apartment.

Arboretum

Marywood University Arboretum

The Marywood University Arboretum (115 acres) is located across the campus of the university. The campus was declared an arboretum in 1975 in honor of Sister Maria Laurence Maher, then Professor of Biological Sciences, and received its official designation as such in 1997. It now contains 44 species of trees (105 varieties), with a comparable collection of shrubs, as well as ornamental grasses, and perennial, biennial, and annual flowers.

References

Coordinates: 41°26′01″N 75°38′03″W / 41.4337°N 75.6342°W / 41.4337; -75.6342

Advertisements

Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message