From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Main Square of Mauer, Maurer Hauptplatz
Mauer is a former village of Lower Austria that
since 1938 has been part of Vienna. Today it is part of the 23rd District of
Vienna, Liesing. Its name literally means "wall".
A Jasper mine was located
in Mauer was during the Neolithic. The first official mention of the
village dates to 1210. Wine
production began during the middle ages, and still continues today.
The Society of
Jesus controlled the village from 1609 to 1773. In Biedermeier times Mauer
was a favorite summer relaxation location of the Viennese. The
first mayor took office in 1850, and the village was promoted to market town in 1902.
After Hitler annexed Austria, Vienna was expanded
greatly, and Mauer became a part of Vienna in 1938.
Mauer is home to the Wotruba Church, designed by Fritz Wotruba.
Additionally, there are approximately ten heuriger located in the area, most along
Maurer Lange Gasse.
Mauer's main access to public transportation is the 60 tram
line, which runs from the metro stop Hietzing to Rodaun. Additionally, several bus
lines serve the area. Between approximately 1 am and 5 am, when
regular public transportation does not run, the nightbus line N60
connects Maurer Hauptplatz with Downtown Vienna at half-hour
intervals. Mauer also shares a S-Bahn stop with neighboring Atzgersdorf at its
eastern border, called Atzgersdorf.
(Johann) Banner (1910 - 1973), later American Jewish
Hörbiger (1860, Atzgersdorf - 1931)
- La Jana (Henriette Margarethe Hiebel) (1905 - 1940),
Austrian-German female dancer and actress (de)
- Gisbert Kapp
(1852 - 1922), Austrian-English electrical engineer
Mayreder (1856 - 1935), architect
- Joseph von Scheda (1815, Padova - 1888), German-Austran
military man, cartographer (de)
- Friedrich Schreyvogl (1899 - 1976), writer, publicist,
- Marija Sklad-Sauer (born 1935, Budapest), Hungarian (Polish
father)-Vojvodinan, later Austrian female singer, song educator (de)
Coordinates: 48°09′02″N 16°16′08″E / 48.15056°N