|— Home Rule Municipality —|
Map of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania highlighting McCandless Township
Map of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
|- Type||Town Council|
|- Town Manager||Tobias M. Cordek|
|- Total||16.6 sq mi (43.1 km2)|
|- Land||16.5 sq mi (42.8 km2)|
|- Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||1,024 ft (312 m)|
|- Density||1,754.4/sq mi (677.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|- Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Website||McCandless official website|
McCandless is a Home Rule Municipality and census-designated place in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 29,022 at the 2000 census. The community was previously known as McCandless Township. On January 1, 1975, the township became a home rule charter municipality with the name "Town of McCandless." Despite the name, it is not legally a town; Bloomsburg, in Columbia County, was incorporated as a town in 1870, and is still recognized by state government publications as "the only incorporated town" in Pennsylvania. It is also not a township, as Home Rule Municipalities are not governed under the provisions of Pennsylvania's Township Code.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 16.6 square miles (43.1 km²), of which, 16.5 square miles (42.8 km²) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.3 km²) of it (0.66%) is water.
The municipality lies within the Allegheny Plateau and is characterized by generally hilly terrain. A floodplain lies in the area of Pine Creek, which cuts a deep valley through the central portion of the township.
McCandless is bordered by Pine Township to the north and Hampton Township to the east. The southern border is Ross Township and the western border is Franklin Park borough.
Native American artifacts, primarily Iroquois Nation, have been found in areas of the township. Early written history includes a visit by George Washington in 1753.
The first settler in McCandless was James Duff, who had purchased 400 acres in 1796. Farming increased in the area, and in 1849, meetings were held, presided over by Daniel Vogel, for the purpose of forming a local government. The Township was originally founded in 1851 and called Taylor. The Township was incorporated in 1857 as a Second Class Township and renamed McCandless in honor of District Judge Wilson McCandless. The published population was 1,482 persons.
During the 1800s McCandless was primarily a farming community. During the war of 1812, an important supply route for the transportation of war materials from Pittsburgh to Admiral Perry's forces on Lake Erie passed through the area.
In 1908 an interurban commuter railroad, the Harmony Line, allowed area residents to easily commute to Pittsburgh. A concurrent oil boom resulted in rapid early development, centered around the rail stations in the Highland and Ingomar areas.
By 1931, the Harmony Line had been replaced by the popularity of the automobile.
Allegheny County Commissioner E. V. Babcock initiated the establishment of Allegheny County's North Park. He purchased the land and later sold it to the County at cost. North Park was founded in 1927 by Allegheny County. Approximately 1600 acres of the park, 2.5 square miles, are located in McCandless. This area represents approximately 15.2% of the Town.
Between 1930-1950, the Town more than doubled its population (from 2,653 to 6,488). By 1960, the population had redoubled (14,582) and has since doubled again. As per the 2000 Census, the number of households in the Town is 11,159.
Expanding population and traffic brought more diversified development into the area. McKnight Road was built in the mid 1950s and became the primary access into the north suburban areas. Retail and office occupy some of the McCandless segment of the McKnight corridor.
Currently, construction has begun on "McCandless Crossing", a mixed-use open-air town center:
McCandless Crossing is conveniently located in the Town of McCandless along McKnight Road at the signalized intersection of Duncan Avenue. It is an assemblage of 130 acres on both the east and west sides of McKnight Road. McKnight Road is the primary commercial corridor in the North Hills of Pittsburgh with an average of 30,000 vehicles per day. McCandless Crossing enjoys tremendous visibility and excellent access. McCandless Crossing is a 1,000,000 +/- sf mixed use project consisting of a Town Center component and a master planned area including retail, office, hotels, entertainment and residential. It is immediately adjacent to the UPMC Passavant Hospital, Pittsburgh’s premier suburban hospital, LaRoche College (1600 +/- students) and Pittsburgh Office and Research Park (400,000 +/- sf office park). This high quality suburb location has excellent east/west access via Duncan Avenue and Cumberland Road and is convenient to the suburban communities of Ross, Franklin Park, Pine, Richland, Hampton, Bradford Woods and Marshall Townships. Our goal is to create a project that complements the existing base of properties and knits them together in a cohesive plan and further energizes the North Hills. The northern tier suburbs of Pittsburgh boast sustained growth with an excellent school system in North Allegheny serving McCandless. UPMC Passavant is currently adding an additional 190,000 sf and will raise their employment numbers to 2,600. LaRoche College, North Allegheny Schools and Pittsburgh Office and Research Park collectively employ an additional 3000 persons.
As of the census of 2000, there were 29,022 people, 11,159 households, and 7,922 families residing in the township. The population density was 1,754.4 people per square mile (677.5/km²). There were 11,697 housing units at an average density of 707.1/sq mi (273.0/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 94.58% White, 1.29% African American, 0.05% Native American, 3.19% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.14% from other races, and 0.74% from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race were 0.70% of the population.
There were 11,159 households out of which 32.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.8% were married couples living together, 6.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.0% were non-families. 25.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.49 and the average family size was 3.02.
The age distribution was 23.6% under the age of 18, 6.8% from 18 to 24, 27.8% from 25 to 44, 25.8% from 45 to 64, and 16.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 90.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.9 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $62,159, and the median income for a family was $73,482. Males had a median income of $57,415 versus $33,319 for females. The per capita income for the township was $31,792. About 2.2% of families and 4.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.2% of those under age 18 and 9.1% of those age 65 or over.