From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
||Mary Kathryn Wright
||February 14, 1935
San Diego, California
|| United States
||Port St. Lucie, Florida
||LPGA Tour (joined 1955)
|Number of wins by tour
|Best results in LPGA Major Championships
||Won 1962, 1963, 1966
||Won 1961, 1962
||Won 1958, 1960, 1961, 1963
|U.S. Women's Open
||Won 1958, 1959, 1961, 1964
|Achievements and awards
|World Golf Hall of Fame
||1964 (member page)
Mary Kathryn "Mickey" Wright (born February 14, 1935) is an American professional golfer. She is a member of the World Golf Hall of Fame.
Wright was born in San Diego, California. She won 82 events on the LPGA Tour, which puts her second on the all time win list behind Kathy Whitworth, who won 88 times. Thirteen of her victories were in major championships, which places her second to Patty Berg, who won fifteen majors. Wright topped the LPGA money list for four consecutive seasons from 1961-1964 and made the top ten on the list thirteen times in total between 1956 and 1969.
No less an authority than Ben Hogan said Wright's swing was the best he'd ever seen.
Wright retired from full-time golf at age 34 in 1969, because of problems with her feet, but did compete occasionally after that. Wright won 12 majors between 1958 and 1966, and she is the only player in LPGA Tour history to hold all four major titles at the same time. She now lives in Port St. Lucie, Florida, and plays recreational golf occasionally. In 2000, Wright was ranked as the ninth greatest golfer of all time, and the top woman golfer, by Golf Digest magazine.
LPGA Tour wins (82)
- 1956 (1) Jacksonville Open
- 1957 (3) Sea Island Open, Jacksonville Open, Wolverine Open
- 1958 (5) Sea Island Open, LPGA Championship, U.S. Women's Open, Opie Turner Open, Dallas Open
- 1959 (4) Jacksonville Open, Cavalier Open, U.S. Women's Open, Alliance Machine International Open
- 1960 (6) Sea Island Open, Tampa Open, LPGA Championship, Grossinger Open, Eastern Open, Memphis Open
- 1961 (10) St. Petersburg Open, Miami Open, Titleholders Championship, Columbus Open, U.S. Women's Open, Waterloo Open, Spokane Women's Open, Sacramento Valley Open, Mickey Wright Invitational, LPGA Championship
- 1962 (10) Sea Island Women's Invitational, Titleholders Championship, Women's Western Open, Milwaukee Open, Heart of America Invitational, Albuquerque Swing Parade, Salt Lake City Open, Spokane Open, San Diego Open, Carlsbad Cavern Open
- 1963 (13) Sea Island Women's Invitational, St. Petersburg Women's Open, Alpine Civitan Open, Muskogee Civitan Open, Dallas Civitan Open, Babe Zaharias Open, Women's Western Open, Waterloo Women's Open Invitational, Albuquerque Swing Parade, Idaho Centennial Ladies' Open, Visalia Ladies' Open, Mickey Wright Invitational, LPGA Championship
- 1964 (11) Peach Blossom Invitational, Clifford Ann Creed Invitational, Squirt Ladies' Open Invitational, Muskogee Civitan Open Invitational, Lady Carling Eastern Open, Waldemar Open, U.S. Women's Open, Milwaukee Jaycee Open, Visalia Ladies' Open, Tall City Open, Mary Mills Mississippi Gulf Coast Invitational
- 1965 (2) Baton Rouge Invitational, Dallas Civitan Open
- 1966 (7) Venice Ladies Open, Shreveport Kiwanis Invitational, Bluegrass Ladies Invitational, Women's Western Open, Pacific Ladies' Classic, Shirley Englehorn Invitational, Mickey Wright Invitational
- 1967 (4) Shreveport Kiwanis Club Invitational, Bluegrass Invitational, Lady Carling Open, Pensacola Ladies Invitational
- 1968 (4) Port Malabar Invitational, Palm Beach County Open, Tall City Open, "500" Ladies Classic
- 1969 (1) Bluegrass Invitational
- 1973 (1) Colgate-Dinah Shore Winner’s Circle
- Note: Wright won the Colgate-Dinah Shore Winner's Circle (now known as the Kraft Nabisco Championship) before it became a major championship.
LPGA Majors are shown in bold.
Other wins (8)