From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Midtown Woodward Historic District is a
historic district located along Woodward Avenue in
Detroit, Michigan. Structures in the district are
located between 2951 and 3424 Woodward Avenue, and include
structures on the corner of Charlotte Street (14 Charlotte Street)
and Peterboro Street (10 and 25 Peterboro Street). The district was
admitted to the National Register of
Historic Places in 2008.
East side of Woodward (Temple Beth El and Kahn Print Shop
East side of Woodward (the Fine Arts Theatre is in the
The district spans two blocks along Woodward Avenue in Midtown,
Detroit. Significant structures in the district include a
number of architect-designed buildings. Some of these are:
The Addison Hotel, currently known as the Addison
Apartments, are located at 14 Charlotte. The structure,
designed by Albert Kahn, was built in
original structure featured 50 luxury apartments. The structure is
currently being restored to feature 40 apartments.
The Fine Arts Theatre is located at 2952 Woodward. The theatre,
with 582 seats, was designed by C. Howard Crane. It opened in 1914 as
the Addison, and closed in 1980.
The Crystal Ballroom is located at 3100 Woodward; the building
is currently known as the Crystal Lofts and the
current ground-floor tenant is Zacarro's Market. The ballroom was
built in 1919.
The facade of the original building was altered (likely in 1936
wieh Woodward Avenue was widened) to add the Art Deco elements apparent on the front.
In 2005, the building was redeveloped with retail space on the
ground floor and 16 residential units above on the second
Albert Kahn designed this
structure at 3408-3414 Woodward Avenue in 1912; it was built in
1919 as a print shop.
After sitting vacant for decades, it has been redeveloped into
The Temple Beth El is located at 3424 Woodward at the north end
of the district; it is currently used as Wayne
State University's Bonstelle Theatre. At the
turn of the 20th century, Rabbi Leo M. Franklin of Detroit's Temple Beth El led
the push for the construction of a new temple building.
He hired architect Albert Kahn, a member of the
congregation, to design the building.
Groundbreaking began on November 25, 1901, with the ceremonial
cornerstone laid on April 23, 1902.
The first services were held in the chapel on January 24, 1903, and
the formal dedication was held on September 18-19 of the same
- ^ "National Register Information
System". National Register of Historic Places.
National Park Service. 2008-12-05. http://www.nr.nps.gov/.
- ^ a
- ^ Fine Arts Theater from
- ^ a
Lofts from Detroit1701.org
- ^ "Crystal Lofts to add new life
to a grand ballroom," November 29, 2005, from ModelD
- ^ "Historic Kahn print shop in
Midtown to become retail/medical complex," March 21, 2006, from
- ^ a
Katz, Irving I., The Beth El Story (with a History of Jews in
Michigan Before 1850), Wayne State University Press, 1955, pp.