Millmount Fort, is a large 19th century Martello tower located in Drogheda. Built in 1808, it is one of a series of Martello Towers erected by the British in expectation of a possible invasion of Ireland by Napoleon. Built upon a huge mound, and visible from most parts of the town, the origins of the mound are unclear, but it has been suggested that it may have been a passage grave similar to Newgrange. In Irish myth, it is identified as the burial place of Amergin mac Míled, druid, bard and judge of the Milesians.
Hugh De Lacy, one of the Normans who came to Ireland after Strongbow, built the original fort circa 1172, having being granted the Kingdom of Meath by Henry II. Later a stone castle was built on the site. This castle formed part of the defences of the town during the siege of Drogheda during the Cromwellian conquest of Ireland in 1649. The fort's English defenders attempted to surrender to Parliamentarian troops under Oliver Cromwell but were massacred when they gave themselves up on September 11th, 1649.
The complex was later called Richmond Barracks. Some of the present buildings, in the courtyard, were built circa 1770. In the beginning of the 19th century, the old castle was demolished and the present tower was built. The fort suffered considerable damage during the Irish Civil War. It was occupied by Anti-Treaty forces and on July 4 1922, it became the target of shelling by the army of the Irish Free State. The National Army brought up mortars and 18 pounder artillery pieces and bombarded the fort for several hours before the republican garrison surrendered. It has been restored and is now open to the public.