The Full Wiki

More info on Ministry of Works (United Kingdom)

Ministry of Works (United Kingdom): Wikis

Advertisements
  
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Ministry of Works was a department of the UK Government formed in 1943, during World War II, to organise the requisitioning of property for wartime use. After the war, the Ministry retained responsibility for Government building projects.

In 1962 it was renamed the Ministry of Public Building and Works, and acquired the extra responsibility of monitoring the building industry. In 1970 the Ministry was absorbed into the Department of the Environment, although from 1972 most former Works functions were transferred to the largely autonomous Property Services Agency. Subsequent reorganisation of PSA into Property Holdings was followed by abolition in 1996 when individual Government departments took on responsibility for managing their own estate portfolios.

The tradition of building specific structures for military or governmental use began to break down at the time of World War I, when the unprecedented need for armaments prompted the rapid construction of factories in English locations where a skilled workforce was not easily recruited.

Architect Frank Baines (1877-1933) guided the rapid development of estates of houses, mainly in a terraced style, for workers and their families in places close to the required factories and depots. Examples included the Well Hall garden suburb south of the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich (between Eltham and Shooters Hill), Aeroville near the Grahame-White aeroplane factory at Hendon, and the Roe Green estate at Stag Lane in the London Borough of Brent.

Considering the pace of their construction, these estates were surprisingly picturesque and were subsequently considered superior in scenic terms to many estates of municipal housing that followed in the peacetime of the 1920s, guided by the Tudor Walters Committee report of 1919 and the Housing & Town Planning Act. Their styling owed much to the English garden suburb tradition (seen at Bournville, Letchworth, Saltaire, Port Sunlight and Welwyn Garden City) and garden areas and front boundaries were generally more varied than on contemporary estates within military bases where state ownership endured over a longer period. By the late 20th century the Well Hall example had become known as the Progress Estate and legend has it that no two houses there are built to the same plan.

Origins

The Ministry of Works descended from a long line of offices with responsibilities for managing Royal and then Governmental property. These are summarised below.

  • 1378–1832 Office of Works. This office was established to oversee the building of the King's castles and residences.
  • 1832–1851 Office of Woods, Forests, Land Revenues, Works and Buildings. The Office of Works continued to operate as the Works Department within the larger Office.
  • 1851–1940 Office of Works. The Office was given a separate identity in order to bring it under the direct control of Parliament.
  • 1940–1942 Ministry of Works and Buildings. The Ministry was formed during World War II as the Government's need for new buildings and the conversion of existing buildings became more urgent.
  • 1942–1943 Ministry of Works and Planning.
  • 1943–1962 Ministry of Works. See above.
  • 1962–1970 Ministry of Public Building and Works. See above.

Buildings constructed by the Ministry

See also

Advertisements

Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message