The Full Wiki

Monsures: Wikis


Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Coordinates: 49°42′36″N 2°10′19″E / 49.71°N 2.171944°E / 49.71; 2.171944

Commune of Monsures

Monsures - Eglise Saint Léger et Mairie.jpg
Paris plan pointer b jms.svg
Map highlighting the commune of
Country France
Region Picardie
Department Somme
Arrondissement Amiens
Canton Conty
Intercommunality Canton of Conty
Mayor Francis Collonville
Elevation 62–185 m (200–610 ft)
(avg. 66 m/220 ft)
Land area1 8.98 km2 (3.47 sq mi)
Population2 235  (2006)
 - Density 26 /km2 (67 /sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 80558/ 80160
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.
2 Population sans doubles comptes: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Monsures is a commune in the Somme department in Picardie in northern France.



Monsures is situated on the D210 and the D109 roads, some 16 miles (26 km) south of Amiens, in the southernmost point of the département, in the valley of the Selle river and surrounded by woods and forests. Junction 7 of the A16 autoroute is just 4 miles (6 km) away


Population history
1962 1968 1975 1982 1990 1999 2006
217 230 197 152 162 203 235
Starting in 1962: Population without duplicates


A fort existed here at the end of the 9th century. Originally known as ‘’Monsulae’’, in the 12th century, it belonged to the seigneurs of the nearby commune of Conty.
The BeauvaisAmiens railway once passed through the commune. Used for freight and passengers from 1876 until 1939, but never reopened following World War II.

Places of interest

  • The château-fort entrance and its 15th century towers, on the promontory at the west of the village.
  • Church of Saint Leger, bishop of Autun (b. 616- d.678). First documented in 1127. The present building dates form the end of the 15th century and is built of local stone. The tower underwent restoration in 1731 and the present bells were installed in 1821 and 1868.
  • The old sacristy. On the south side of the church and along with the nearby presbytery, built in the second half of the 19th century. Since December 1998, it has housed the Mairie.
  • The early 16th century chapel of ‘Notre-Dame du Bon Secours’ at Estocq, a hamlet of the commune. It originally belonged to the Thierry family, fiefs of Argenlieu - an old commune now occuped by Monsures and by Rogy, to the edge of the commune of Gouy-les-Groseillers. The stone quarried from the locality was used to build the old manor and the chapel at Estocq.
  • The chapel of ‘Notre-Dame des Victoires’ was built in 1858 by Charlemagne Boyeldieu, a descendant of General Louis-Léger Boyeldieu, who was born at Monsures in 1774. Since 2004, the chapel has housed the commune’s multi-media library.
  • The ‘Coulée verte’. A nature trail for hikers and riders, based on the route of the old railway, wends its way along the valley of the Selle river for about 20 miles, from Crèvecœur-le-Grand to Vers-sur-Selles.


  • Louis Léger Boyeldieu

See also


External links



Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address