The Full Wiki

Montreat College: Wikis

Advertisements
  
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Montreat College is a private, four year, liberal arts Christian college with four campuses located in Black Mountain, North Carolina, Asheville, North Carolina, Charlotte, North Carolina and its primary campus in Montreat, North Carolina. The college offers on-campus traditional four-year degrees, an adult studies program, and courses in team and professional development. Montreat's traditional program student body consists of around 450 undergraduate students, with a beautiful campus built in the early 20th century primarily out of mica-laden mountain stone.

History

The beauty and tranquility of the Blue Ridge Mountains led Congregationalist minister John C. Collins to form the Mountain Retreat Association in 1897 “for the encouragement of Christian work and living through Christian convention, public worship, missionary work, schools, and libraries.” By 1907, J. R. Howerton of Charlotte, North Carolina, conceived and carried out the idea of purchasing Montreat for the Presbyterian Church in the United States. Then, in 1913, Dr. Robert C. Anderson, president of the Mountain Retreat Association, proposed that the grounds and facilities of the Association be used for a school during the academic year. In 1915, the General Assembly decreed “that the property of the Mountain Retreat Association be used for a Normal School and that the establishment of the school be referred to the Synods.”

The Synods of Appalachia, Georgia, Alabama, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia elected trustees who met in Montreat on May 2, 1916, and elected Dr. Robert F. Campbell of Asheville, NC, chairman, Mr. W. T. Thompson Jr. of Knoxville, TN, secretary, and Ruling Elder T. S. Morrison of Asheville, NC, treasurer. The Montreat Normal School, a four-year preparatory and two-year college combination, opened its first session in October 1916 with eight students. Montreat Normal School continued to grow over the years. Throughout times of war, economic fluctuations, and rapid social change, the school sought to provide a Christian setting in which to prepare young women to become teachers.

In 1934, during Dr. Robert C. Anderson’s tenure as president, Montreat Normal School (College Department) was renamed Montreat College. The college grew as its academic program expanded. It began a four-year degree program in 1945. After 14 years as a four-year women’s college, the college was restructured in 1959 as a coeducational junior college and was given a new name, Montreat-Anderson College.

In 1986, the college Board of Trustees, realizing the demands and changing circumstances in higher education, made the decision to become again a baccalaureate institution. The dream of its first president, Dr. Anderson, was for the college to serve as an accredited baccalaureate institution. The college has realized that dream. It returned to the original name of Montreat College in August 1995, sharing the original vision and identity. The change reflects the Montreat College of today, a four-year college with several growing campuses and a graduate program.

Montreat College’s School of Professional and Adult Studies began offering classes on September 19, 1994. The college’s Charlotte campus was officially opened on September 11, 1995, and the Asheville campus held its grand opening on October 8, 1996. The School of Adult and Graduate Studies offers an MBA, M.A. Education, and M.S. Management.

In June 1998 Montreat College was accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools as a level three institution to offer the master’s degree in business administration (MBA).

External links

Advertisements

Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message