|City of Morgantown, West Virginia|
|— City —|
Walnut St. PRT station and part of downtown
Location in Monongalia County in the State of West Virginia
|- Type||City Manager / Council|
|- City Manager||Dan Boroff|
|- Total||10.1 sq mi (26.2 km2)|
|- Land||9.8 sq mi (25.4 km2)|
|- Water||0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2) 3.16%|
|Elevation||960 ft (293 m)|
|- Density||3,024.7/sq mi (1,167.0/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|- Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Area code(s)||304, 681 (effective March, 2009)|
|GNIS feature ID||1555161|
Morgantown is a city in Monongalia County, West Virginia. It is the County Seat of Monongalia County. Placed along the banks of the Monongahela River, Morgantown is the largest city in North-Central West Virginia, and the base of the Morgantown metropolitan area. It is best known as the home both of West Virginia University and the one-of-a-kind Morgantown Personal Rapid Transit system.
Morgantown is closely tied to the Anglo-French struggle for this territory. Until the Treaty of Paris in 1763, what is now known as Morgantown was greatly contested among settlers and Native Americans, as well as the English and the French. The treaty decided the issue in favor of the English, but Indian fighting continued almost to the beginning of the American Revolution.
Zackquill Morgan, son of Morgan Morgan and his brother David entered the area of Virginia that would become Morgantown in about 1767, although others such as Thomas Decker are recorded as attempting settlements in the area earlier or at about the same time. As well, several forts were built in the area during this time: Fort Pierpont near the Cheat River, in 1769; Fort Coburn, near Dorsey's Knob, in 1770. Fort Morgan, at the present site of Morgantown, in 1772; Fort Dinwiddle, north several miles at Stewartstown, in 1772; Fort Martin, several miles north on the Monongahela River, in 1773; Fort Burris in the present-day Suncrest area of Morgantown, in 1774; and Fort Kern in the present-day Greenmont area of Morgantown, in 1774, in addition to other, smaller forts.
Zackquill Morgan settled the area about 1772 by establishing a homestead near present-day Fayette Street and University Avenue. Morgan fought in both the French and Indian War and the American Revolutionary War, rising to the rank of colonel. By 1783, following his wartime duties, Colonel Morgan commissioned Major William Haymond to survey his land and divide it into streets and lots. Colonel Morgan then received a legal certificate for 400 acres (1.6 km2) in the area of his settlement near the mouth of Decker's Creek. Fifty acres were appropriated for Morgan's Town by the Virginia General Assembly in October 1785. On February 3, 1838, the Virginia General Assembly enacted a municipal charter incorporating the city, now with a population of about 700, as Morgantown, Virginia. The town became part of the newly created state of West Virginia on June 20, 1863, through the Reorganized Government of Virginia.
The cable television network MTV announced in October 2006, that it would tape an eight-episode reality TV series, Show Choir, following Morgantown High School's show choir, which performs songs in four-part harmony, with costumes and choreography, on a competitive circuit. The show was scheduled to premiere Spring 2007.
The 2006 film We Are Marshall has two brief scenes set in, but not filmed in, Morgantown.
Mind Garage rock band, first documented Christian Rock band.
Morgantown is located at . The city is located 75 miles (121 km) south of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 208 miles (335 km) west of Washington, D.C., 204 miles (328 km) east of Columbus, Ohio, and 156 miles (251 km) northeast of Charleston, West Virginia. Morgantown is just south of the Mason-Dixon Line.(39.633696, -79.950670)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 10.1 square miles (26.2 km²), of which, 9.8 square miles (25.4 km²) of it is land and 0.3 square miles (0.8 km²) of it (3.16%) is water.
|Avg high (°F)||39||43||53||64||73||80||83||82||76||65||54||44||63|
|Avg low (°F)||22||24||32||40||50||59||64||62||56||44||35||27||42|
The only active rail line in Morgantown is owned by Norfolk Southern with CSX trackage rights and serves a mine located northwest of Rivesville, West Virginia. Coal is the major commodity with a train serving local chemical industries such as Tanner and Chemtura that require tank cars. Recently the railroad has begun to receive untreated crossties. These are trucked in and then loaded onto high side gondolas or bulkhead flat cars.
The current railroad situation came about when Conrail was split by Norfolk Southern and CSX in 1999. CSX pays for half of the cost of maintenance for the line. CSX uses it mostly to quickly bring trains from Grafton to load at Consol's Bailey Mine and for direct access to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Morgantown relies heavily on the Monongahela River for shipping coal and other products. The river is fully navigable from its mouth at the Ohio River in Pittsburgh past Morgantown upstream to Fairmont. Morgantown Lock and Dam, located in the southern part of the city, provides a pool heading upstream towards Fairmont. Point Marion Lock and Dam, the next downstream dam, is responsible for most of the river's pool in Morgantown.
Most of Morgantown is accessible by MountainLine bus system. Most service operates Monday-Saturday from 7am-6pm with very limited service operating on Sunday during the WVU school year. MountainLine's Grey Line bus operates everyday of the year between Clarksburg, West Virginia and the Pittsburgh Airport. Morgantown also has the Morgantown Personal Rapid Transit (PRT) system. The system has five stations (Walnut, Beechurst, Engineering, Towers, and Medical) covering 8.65 miles (13.9 kilometers).
Morgantown is made up of several neighborhoods with distinct history and personality, some of which were previously different towns which were annexed by the city as it continued to grow. Today the city includes the neighborhoods of Woodburn, South Park, Jerome Park, South Hills, Second Ward, Greenmont, Suncrest, Wiles Hill, Sunnyside, Sabraton, The Mileground, and North Hills. While some of these areas like The Mileground, Easton, and Sabraton, are in part or entirely outside the city limits, they are still considered part of Morgantown. The Morgantown MSA contains roughly 117,000 permanent residents, excluding nearly 30,000 full-time students at West Virginia University.
Morgantown was closely tied to the Anglo-French struggle for this territory. Until the Treaty of Paris in 1763, what is now known as Morgantown was greatly contested among settlers and native Indians, as well as the English and the French. The treaty decided the issue in favor of the English, but Indian fighting continued almost to the beginning of the Revolution.
Several forts were built in this area and Fort Burris was erected in 1774 in the Suncrest area of Morgantown. The fort was a settler's blockhouse located in what is now the Summers Masonic Lodge at the intersection of Burroughs and Windsor streets.
During 1885-1888, the land in the Evansdale/Suncrest area was agricultural with 400-1000 acre farms. Drummond’s Chapel was named after a minister who then moved to Missouri. The Evans Farm was located on land near Riverview Drive and 8th Street and was named for Colonel John Evans who fought in the revolution with Zack Morgan. Colonel Evans’ claim to fame was that George Washington slept in his farmhouse around 1784. Krepp’s farmhouse was located on land where the WVU Creative Arts Center, Engineering and Agricultural buildings now stand. Dilley Farm was located on the other side of 8th street. Van Voorhis Farm was located up beyond BB&T and had extensive acreage. Down Collins Ferry Road was the Anderson Farm; Jacobs Farm was below Elmhurst and Mulberry.
The Suncrest area was not a suburb yet, as everyone wanted to live close to town. The trolley cars determined how far people lived outside of the city and the cars only traveled to 8th street and traveled out to South High, Demaine, to Sabraton, South park, Greenmont and Holland Avenue to Cassville. By 1920 people were buying cars, a different generation who had money.
In 1923 Monongahela Development Company bought land from Krepps and most everyone else in the area. Suncrest Park bought Sears Roebuck house plans and divided Suncrest into three areas: Fairfield St, Suncrest Park and Suncrest. There were restrictions on who could live there – those who were African American, Jewish or immigrants were not permitted to buy land.
In 1928 the Suncrest Home Association (developers) gave 30 acres, which became Krepps Park. A civic group built facilities and the park was given to Morgantown, which made some improvements.
By 1937, Suncrest needed a town government to pave streets, and provide water and sewer. Dr. Julian Leach was a WVU plant pathologist and was elected mayor; Bill Hart was also a former mayor. Suncrest finally became part of Morgantown. In 1940 the Dupont industrial park built 100 homes with 6 different floor plans around the Kenmore Street area. In 1947-1950 Gunnison homes were built in the Mulberry and Lake Street areas. The development of the DuPont Ordinance Works during World War II in Westover resulted in a large number of pre-fabricated homes being constructed in Suncrest.
Early housing developers influenced the growth of homes in Suncrest during the first decades of the 20 th Century. Old Suncrest and Suncrest Addition were among the names given to various subsections of this growing community. The names of some streets reflected the community’s participation in various service organizations, such as Civitan, Kiwanis, Lions and Rotary. Before Suncrest became part of Morgantown in 1949, it had first been incorporated in 1937 as the town of Suncrest .
In 1962/1963 the area on the right going down Collins Ferry was voted into Morgantown city proper. Streetlights were installed during a 5-year period with the help of councilmen. There was no planning for growth. The developer named the streets after service organizations (Kiwanis, Rotary) or universities (Yale, Harvard). One of the developers named the area ‘Suncrest’ because one morning as he was looking out, he saw the sun crest over a hill. The area from University Avenue to the medical School had a nice racetrack that filled up the entire valley. Just above McDonald’s was a Hungarian development with two Hungarian churches. When there was talk of building a medical school in WV, Charleston and Huntington vied for it, but Morgantown offered to give 60 acres and provide a county hospital if it was located in Morgantown. A cemetery with 200 graves near what is now Ruby Memorial Hospital had to be relocated to the West Run area. Around 1928, there was an airport near where the Coliseum is now located.
Today Suncrest is one of several neighborhood communities in greater Morgantown , West Virginia. The area is known for tree-lined streets, green parks and play areas, quiet neighborhoods and outstanding schools.
Suncrest students attend three or four schools throughout their K-12 education, starting at Suncrest Primary School or North Elementary School, Suncrest Middle School and Morgantown High School depending on where they live.
In 2000, the White House Millennium Council designated Suncrest as a Millennium Community.
Sunnyside, located just north of downtown Morgantown, is an older neighborhood adjacent to West Virginia University's downtown campus. The neighborhood, which covers 130 acres (53 ha), is roughly bounded by University Avenue to the east, Campus Drive to the south, the Monongahela River to the west, and 8th Street to the north. Many students live there because it is affordable and is in close proximity to campus. Since 2003, Sunnyside has been classified as a "blighted district." Sunnyside is also the scene of many off-campus parties and post-game celebrations centered on Grant Avenue.
To combat the problems facing Sunnyside, the City of Morgantown and West Virginia University teamed up to establish the Sunnyside Up Project: Campus Neighborhoods Revitalization Corporation, dedicated to the redevelopment of this area. The first step was to create a comprehensive revitalization plan, which was published in March 2005. The University's Summit Hall Dormitory and the new Honors Hall Dormitory are located in the southern part of the neighborhood.
South Park is across Deckers Creek from downtown Morgantown. Originally farmland, it was one of the first suburbs of Morgantown. In the early 1900s South Park saw a housing boom with the city's most wealthy and influential deciding to call the neighborhood home. Today their beautiful historic houses can still be seen and are occupied mostly by single families. The neighborhood is home to Morgantown High School, built in 1924. The entire neighborhood is designated a historic district by the National Register of Historic Places.
Woodburn was originally farmland on the hills to the east of downtown Morgantown. Today it encompasses the area enclosed by Richwood Avenue (starting at Monongalia Ave) in the south and Willey Street (beginning at the Town Hill Grocery) in the north. Monongalia Ave serves as the western boundary and the eastern boundary begins in the south at the intersection of Richwood Avenue and Darst St. and continues north until Darst interesects with Willey Street at the beginning of the Mileground.
While originally home to small hillside farmsteads, as the city continued to grow in the late 1800s Woodburn grew up into a typical city neighborhood. However, many of the original farm houses are still standing and many of the names of streets such as Ridgeway Ave, are named for early families who had farms in the area. The area saw a rapid growth in population at the beginning of the 20th century when many skilled tinsmiths from Wales built houses in the neighborhood. These tinsmiths came to Morgantown to work in the tinplate mill which later became the Sterling Faucet plant in Sabraton. A trolley line ran the length of Richwood Avenue and originally connected downtown with Sabraton. The Welsh tin smiths could catch the trolley at the top of the hill in Woodburn and ride it down the hill to work in Sabraton. The Welsh immigrants were more affluent and skilled than the ordinary workers in the tin mill who were largely from Eastern Europe and who settled in the less affluent areas of Sabraton closer to the mill. The Welsh community was active in the community, especially in the Methodist Church at the intersection of High Street and Willey Street, however, they were most famous for their picnics held frequently in Whitmore Park which was the main park and green space in Woodburn. Many of these Welsh immigrants were still Welsh speakers and as late as the 1930s it was common to hear Welsh spoken on the streets of Woodburn. Woodburn Elementary School was the neighborhood school built in the 1920s to educate the growing population. It is one of the last neighborhood schools in Monongalia County.
Following WWII, many new families came to Woodburn, attracted by the parkland, close proximity to downtown, community atmosphere, and nearby school. The family of actor David Selby were among the postwar residents in Woodburn and he spent his entire childhood living in Woodburn. In 1950, Tom and Anna Torch opened the Richwood Ave Confectionary, a corner store and lunch counter that served beer in large Weiss goblets from the Morgantown Glassworks. When they sold the operation in 1963 to Mario and Rose Spina the establishment was nicknamed "Marios Fishbowl" in honor of the goblets.
The neighborhood had a neighborhood newspaper in the 1980s. In that decade, significant numbers of students began to move in, changing the character of the neighborhood. Many single family homes have been converted into student rentals.
As of the census of 2000, there were 26,809 people, 10,782 households, and 4,183 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,736.0 people per square mile (1,056.2/km²). There were 11,721 housing units at an average density of 1,196.2/sq mi (461.8/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 89.48% White, 4.15% African American, 0.17% Native American, 4.15% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 0.51% from other races, and 1.48% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.54% of the population.
There were 10,782 households out of which 15.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 29.1% were married couples living together, 7.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 61.2% were non-families. 37.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.08 and the average family size was 2.76.
Morgantown's age distribution, which is heavily influenced by the presence of West Virginia University, is: 11.1% under the age of 18, 44.7% from 18 to 24, 20.4% from 25 to 44, 13.5% from 45 to 64, and 10.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 23 years. For every 100 females there were 104.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 105.0 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $20,649, and the median income for a family was $44,622. Males had a median income of $33,268 versus $24,944 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,459. About 15.0% of families and 38.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 23.3% of those under age 18 and 8.3% of those age 65 or over.
Following Census 2000, Monongalia County (with county seat Morgantown) and neighboring Preston County were acknowledged as a metropolitan statistical area (MSA) by the United States government. Estimates from 2004 put the Metropolitan Statistical Area population at 113,500; as of July 2005, the estimate was 114,501. Of the 10 largest cities in West Virginia, only Morgantown and Martinsburg have shown positive population growth since the 2000 census, with Morgantown growing from 26,809 to a 2007 estimate of 29,361.
West Virginia University constitutes 913 acres (3.69 km2) of the city and vicinity, and with the fall 2005 enrollment added an additional population of 27,115 students.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Morgantown has amongst the lowest unemployment rates in the United States as of early 2009.
The city is served by Monongalia County Schools. Public elementary schools in Morgantown and its surrounding area include Cheat Lake, North, Brookhaven, Ridgedale, Mountainview, Mylan Park, and Skyview. There are four middle schools: Cheat Lake, South, Westwood, and Suncrest. The city's two high schools are University High School, the mascot of which is the Hawks, and Morgantown High School, whose mascot is the Mohigans. The latter's name is that of a non-existent Native American tribe whose name is a combination of the words Morgantown (MO) High (HIG) Annual (AN), which was the school's yearbook. The Native American mascot and logo were adopted because of the close relation to the name Mohican, a real Native American tribe. Notable Morgantown High School alumni include screenwriter-film director Lawrence Kasdan (class of 1966), actor Don Knotts (class of 1942), college football coach Tommy Bowden (class of 1972), and TV college football analyst Terry Bowden (class of 1974).
As of April 2005, Monongalia County Schools employs 897 professional personnel and 490 service personnel, and carries an enrollment of 10,076 students, including 156 adult students at the Monongalia County Technical Education Center. Three of Monongalia County's 23 schools have earned Exemplary Achievement status, according to the West Virginia Office of Educational Performance Audits' (OEPA) report issued November 2004. In 2004, Suncrest Middle became a National Blue Ribbon School for the No Child Left Behind Act.
Other private schools include: Covenant Christian School, Maranatha Christian Academy, Morgantown Christian Academy, Trinity Christian School, St. Francis Elementary/Middle School, and the alternative, non-religious Morgantown Learning Academy.
While informal schools existed from Morgantown's earliest days , the town established a one-story, coeducational, Virginia common school in July 1803, that students attended on a tuition basis..On Nov. 29, 1814, the Virginia General Assembly incorporated Monongalia Academy, the county's first public school. Supported by obligatory surveyors' fees, the male-only institution was the equivalent of a modern-day high school. The Academy moved to a new two-story building in 1830, with principal Jonathan Haddock offering courses in geography, surveying, and navigation in addition to traditional subjects. Presbyterian minister Reverend James Robertson Moore was principal during the Academy's 1852-1864 heyday, when its enrollment included students from 14 states. In 1867, the Academy closed, and donated its land toward the establishment of West Virginia University.
The Virginia Assembly in March 1831 authorized the creation of the Morgantown Female Academy. Proceeds from the sale of the original Monongalia Academy building funded construction of a two-story school at Bumbo Lane (the modern-day Fayette Street) and Long Alley (the modern-day Chestnut Street). This school opened April 1, 1834. After the Assembly approved a charter change in 1838, the school became known as the Methodist Academy. This prompted local Presbyterians to create the Woodburn Female Seminary, for which the Monongalia Academy's Rev. Moore also served as principal. The seminary closed in 1866, and its assets, like those of the Monongalia Academy, were donated toward the future university.
Following the 1863 creation of West Virginia, the new state's first legislature created a public-school system. The act provided for the education of "free colored children", and was adapted three years later to mandate education for all African-American children. However, a two-tier system was created: White children attended a regular term (at the second former Monongalia Academy building, purchased in 1867 from West Virginia Agricultural College, the future West Virginia University), only a short term was provided for African-Americans, who met at St. Paul's African Methodist Episcopal Church, on Beechurst Avenue.
A Catholic elementary school, Saint Francis de Sales, began sometime prior to 1915 as a two-room school in a house on McLane Avenue in the Seneca neighborhood, and run by lay teacher Miss Sterbutsal, who became Sister M. Isabelle of the Sisters of St. Joseph. In October 1915, the pastorate of Father Peter Flynn arranged for Ursuline nuns from Louisville, Kentucky, and in 1918, under principal Sister M. Isadore, the school moved to a new building on Beechurst Avenue, adjacent to St. Theresa's Church. On June 9, 1990, the grade school moved into the former St. Francis Central High School building, and eventually into newly built facility at 41 Guthrie Lane. Its mascot is the Falcon. The Beechurst Avenue building was demolished in 2003
St. Francis Central High School, which had existed for several decades until circa 1990, was located between WVU's Towers dormitory complex and Patteson Drive in the Evansdale neighborhood. Its mascot was the Trojans, and its football field was named for Father Flynn. The West Virginia University Foundation purchased its building and land in July 2003, formally selling it to WVU for $11 million in August 2004, with the university then announcing it intended to use the football and adjacent baseball fields as intramural recreation area. Through January 2006, the building housed the St. Francis middle and elementary schools.
WVU is a public land-grant university, founded in 1867. With an operating budget of approximately $654 million as of the mid-2000s, it also has $150 million annually in sponsored contracts and research grants conducted by faculty members.
Fall 2009 enrollment was 28,839, with students from all 55 state counties, 50 states plus the District of Columbia, and 89 other nations. 2008 Basic figures regarding the student body:
The 2007-08 curriculum is supported by 14 colleges and schools offering 179 bachelor's, master's, doctoral, and professional degree programs in the arts and sciences; business and economics; creative arts; engineering and mineral resources; human resources and education; journalism; law; agriculture, forestry, and consumer sciences; dentistry; medicine; nursing; pharmacy; physical education; plus programs at Potomac State College.
Source unless otherwise footnoted: Morgantown.com
Morgantown has three newspapers. The Dominion Post which is published daily. The privately-owned and student-run college newspaper The Mountaineer Jeffersonian, published weekly on Wednesdays, is distributed free on campus and to many businesses around Morgantown. Lastly, the university-owned and student-run college newspaper The Daily Athenaeum, published weekdays, is provided free on campus and to many businesses around Morgantown.
|KDKA-TV||2||CBS affiliate, Pittsburgh, Penn.|
|WTAE||4||ABC affiliate, Pittsburgh, Penn.|
|WDTV||5||CBS affiliate, Bridgeport, W.Va.|
|WPXI||11||NBC affiliate, Pittsburgh, Penn.|
|WBOY||12||NBC affiliate, Clarksburg, W.Va.|
|WQED||13||PBS station, Pittsburgh, Penn.|
|WPCW||19||CW Television Network affiliate, Pittsburgh, Penn.|
|WPMY||22||My Network TV affiliate, Pittsburgh, Penn.|
|WNPB||24||West Virginia Public Broadcasting Morgantown, WV|
|WVFX||46||Fox affiliate, Clarksburg, W.Va|
|WPGH-TV||53||Fox affiliate, Pittsburgh, Penn.|
|WCLG||1300 AM||Oldies||Bowers Broadcasting Corp.|
|WCLG||100.1 FM||Rock||Bowers Broadcasting Corp.|
|WAJR||1440 AM||News/Talk||West Virginia Radio Corporation|
|WVAQ||101.9 FM||Top 40||West Virginia Radio Corporation|
|WWVU||91.7 FM||Campus||West Virginia University Board Of Governors|
|WGYE||102.7 FM||Country||Burbach of de, LLC|
|WZST||100.9 FM||Hot Adult Contemporary||Fantasia Broadcasting|
|WFGM-FM||93.1 FM||Oldies||West Virginia Radio Corporation|
|WKKW||97.9 FM||Country||West Virginia Radio Corporation|
Cable television and cable Internet are provided by Comcast Communications. Landline telephone and DSL services are offered by Verizon, with West Side Telecommunications telephone and DSL service available in some areas.
Trash pickup is provided by Allied Waste Industries.