The Full Wiki

Mount Saint Mary College: Wikis

Advertisements
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mount Saint Mary College
The Motherhouse, focal point of the Mount Saint Mary campus.
Motto Doce Me Veritatem
(Teach Me the Truth)
Established 1960
Type Roman Catholic
Endowment US $41.5 million
President Fr. Kevin Mackin, O.F.M., S.T.D.
Staff 221
Students 2,600+
Undergraduates 2,035
Postgraduates 480
Location Newburgh, New York, USA
Campus suburban, Located along the Hudson River 70 acres (0.28 km²)
Sports NCAA Division III (Blue Knights)
Colors Blue     
Nickname "The Mount" "MSMC"
Mascot Knights
Website www.msmc.edu
Mount Saint Mary College

Mount Saint Mary College is a private, independent, coeducational, four-year liberal arts college, located in Newburgh, New York.

Founded in 1960 by the Sisters of Saint Dominic, the college is committed to providing students of all faiths an education rich in the liberal arts and grounded in the strong Judeo-Christian traditions upon which it was founded.

The campus is situated in a suburban environment along the Hudson River halfway between New York City and Albany. Current enrollment is made up of more than 2,600 men and women enrolled in 19 majors and over 47 undergraduate programs, M.S. in Nursing, M.B.A., and M.S. in Education. The Blue Knights compete in NCAA Division III athletics in the Skyline Conference.

In the past decade the college has undergone tremendous growth. There have been a number of expansion projects to keep up with enrollment. This includes the building of the Kaplan Center and Sakac Hall as well as the acquisition and renovation of Hudson Hall and Guzman Hall. Aquinas Hall; the main campus building, is currently being expanded. The College Courts complex of 30 townhouses are also being updated.

Contents

History

The Sisters of Saint Dominic of Newburgh founded Mount Saint Mary College in 1930. Initially, the college was a Normal and Teacher Training School for the members of the religious community. In 1959, the college charter was amended by the Board of Regents of the State of New York to accept lay students.

Four German-speaking sisters of St. Dominic first arrived in New York City in 1853. They left the security of their convent of the Holy Cross in Regensburg, Germany to start a school in Pennsylvania. Plans went awry (but that's another story altogether), so instead, the sisters opened a school on Second Street in lower Manhattan. Thirty years later, in 1883 at the request of the pastor of St. Mary's Church in Newburgh, a small group of sisters from the Second Street Convent opened Mount Saint Mary Academy off Gidney Avenue on property that had once belonged to the prosperous Harvey Weed family. S. R. Van Duzer, a wealthy wholesale drug company owner, moved into A. Gerald Hull's Villa on the southeast side of the Thomas Powell estate in 1853. Hull, a friend of James, the Powell's late son, was one of America's first homeopathic practitioners, had lived on the property for a short time before returning to New York City to continue his practice. VanDuzer changed the name from Hull's Villa to Rozenhof and began the arduous task of enlarging the house and transforming the property into a magnificent garden. VanDuzer died in 1903; his wife six-months later. The property remained in the VanDuzer family until the death, in 1913, of the VanDuzer's daughter, Katherine VanDuzer Burton. Although the family was offered a grand sum for the property by the proprietors of a tuberculosis sanatorium, the VanDuzers instead turned to their neighbors, the Dominican sisters on Gidney Avenue, and asked what price they might be able to pay for the property. Even though their offer of $65,000 was less than half of what the VanDuzers had been offered by the eager sanitarium bidders, Rozenhof, the carriage house, the ice house and a hothouse were sold to the sisters. This new acquisition proved a blessing to the sisters and allowed them to build upon their dream. The Dominican Sisters' reputation for academic excellence became legendary. They had outgrown the existing facilities on their property. The new Academy, called Greater Mount Saint Mary, opened in 1927 and served as a high school. A storehouse was rebuilt as the Casa San Jose and it served as the elementary school.

Since the Dominican Sisters were involved in education in Newburgh and throughout the New York-New Jersey area, even as far away as Puerto Rico, the demand for a teacher training program was evident. The New York State Education Department certified the Mount Saint Mary Normal and Training School in 1930. In 1934 the Commissioner of Education granted full approval to the program and Mount received the authority to issue teacher's certificates at the conclusion of the three-year program. The Casa San Jose had served the sisters well, but a new facility was needed to meet the demands accredited by the Middle States Commission on Elementary Education, continues to provide a stellar education for students in the region.

In January 1955, the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York granted the Mount a provisional charter to grant the degree of Associate in Arts upon the completion of the registered three-year curriculum. The Board of Regents voted to amend the college's charter on October 3, 1959. The Mount was now a four-year liberal arts college. The dream had become a reality. The Mount opened its door to the first class of lay women in 1960, and the college embarked on an amazing period of growth. In June 1962, the Mount granted its first bachelor's degree, a Bachelor of Science in Education.

In 1963, Aquinas Hall, named after Saint Thomas Aquinas, opened. This three-story building becomes the centerpiece of the college's academic life. Guzman Hall opens this same year. It was originally the residence hall for the young Dominican novices. The first graduating class in 1964 consisted of 32 graduates In May 1968 the college received full accreditation from the Middle States Association and in the spring of that year the first and only male student begins taking classes at the new co-ed Mount Saint Mary College. In 1970 58 male students were enrolled at the college. In 1984, the college's first master's degree program was introduced leading to a Master of Science in Special Education. The late Sr. Frances Berski, a beloved professor at the Mount, is largely given credit for this milestone.

Alice Curtis Desmond bequeaths her Balmville estate to the Mount in 1991. This beautiful piece of property affords the college with a number of exciting opportunities. Both the Community Education Service Center and L.I.F.E. (Learning Is Forever Enriching) program offices are located at the Mount's Desmond Campus. The William and Elaine Kaplan Recreation Center opened in 1992. This beautiful athletic facility is the home of many of the college's Blue Knights teams. The recreation center was made possible by the generosity of William and Elaine Kaplan. After four decades, the building known as the Jewish Community Center, situated between the Kaplan Recreation Center and the College Courts, continued the legacy of community and learning when it was dedicated as Hudson Hall in 1999. This academic facility provided needed classroom and office space. It also contains an auditorium, a cafeteria and the McTigue Gallery, named in honor of Rev. Joseph McTigue, O.P.. The demand for student housing was at an all-time high when Sakac Hall, named in honor of Sr. Ann Sakac, President of Mount Saint Mary College, opened its doors to freshman women in 2003. A new and improved Guzman Hall opened in the fall of 2004. The once humble chapel that was part of Guzman Hall was transformed into a special house of prayer. Founders Chapel, named in honor of the Dominican Sisters who founded the college, and Guzman Hall were both re-dedicated on the same day in 2004.

Academics

19 majors are offered by Mount Saint Mary: accounting (and within this major, an international business concentration); biology (and within this major, a concentration in cytotechnology); business management and administration (and within this major, concentrations in finance, human resource management, international business, management information systems, and marketing); chemistry; computer information technology (and within this major, concentrations in networking and web technologies); English; Hispanic studies; history; history/political science; human services , counseling/client services, generalist, and social/community services); interdisciplinary studies (and within this major, concentrations in general science, integrated marketing communication, international studies, and pre-law); mathematics; media studies; medical technology; nursing; psychology; public relations; social science (and within this major, concentrations in history, history/political science, psychology, and sociology); and sociology (and within this major, concentrations in criminology).

Minors are offered in all majors excluding social sciences. Minors are also available in art, education, ethics, philosophy, and theater.

Mount Saint Mary offers collaborative programs to students including counseling (master’s) (3/2 articulation), Optometry (doctorate) (3/4 articulation), physical therapy (doctorate) (3/3 articulation), physical therapy (doctorate) (4/3 affiliation), Podiatric Medicine (doctorate) (3/4 articulation), publishing (master’s) (3/2 articulation), social work (master’s) (3/2 articulation), and speech-language pathology (master’s) (4/2 affiliation).

cooperative education and internships are offered through Mount Saint Mary's Co-op office.

Mount Saint Mary has a successful study abroad program, where a student can take classes for a semester in differing countries. The Study Abroad program has affiliations in Australia, Austria, China, England, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Russia, Scotland, Spain, and other countries.

Campus

Mount Saint Mary has several buildings on its 70-acre (280,000 m2) campus. Mount Saint Mary overlooks the scenic Hudson River in the historic City of Newburgh in the Hudson Valley region of New York.

Advertisements

Aquinas Hall

Aquinas Hall is Mount Saint Mary's main campus building. Aquinas contains most of the campus's classrooms, a media lab, numerous computer labs, Aquinas Dining Hall, and Curtin Memorial Library. Aquinas Hall is also home to the Aquinas Dining Hall, Jazzman's Café (a small coffee shop), the campus store, a piano lounge, and the campus mail room. Aquinas contains the 1,114-seat Aquinas Theater where school performances are held. New construction of the MST addition, (Math, Science, and Technology) has updated the look of Aquinas and replaced science labs and added several computer labs. Aquinas contains the offices for the Divisions of natural science, math, nursing, business, arts and letters, foreign language, and information technology.

Bishop Dunn

Bishop Dunn Memorial School (BDMS) is a private elementary (pre-K–8) school located on the south end of the Mount Saint Mary campus.

College Courts

Townhouse dormitories for sophomores, juniors, and seniors. The 'Courts' are made up of 30 townhouses. Each College Court is furnished with one or more lounges, fully equipped kitchens, and semi-private bathrooms. The College Courts recently went under an extensive modernization project.

Desmond Campus

Both the Community Education Service Center and L.I.F.E. (Learning Is Forever Enriching) program offices are located at the Mount's Desmond Campus.

GA Complex

The GAs, or Garden Apartments was once residential housing, but are now home to various administrative offices. Some of the services offered in the GAs include tutoring, career counseling, and personal counseling.

Guzman Hall

Guzman Hall is a dormitory for freshmen men and women. (It was once female-only.) Guzman hall contains "Founders Chapel," Health Services, two classrooms, a movie lounge, and the main Safety and Security office.

Hudson Hall

Originally a Jewish Community Center, Hudson Hall opened in 1999 to serve as the home for the Education Division, Dean of Students, Student and Residence Life, Co-operative Education, and a Safety and Security office. This building also houses the Student Government Association. Hudson Hall contains the smaller "Hudson" auditorium, ten "smart classrooms," the student radio studio, a convenience store - Smart Market, and a Café - Yella's. Hudson is also home to the smaller education library, a source for teaching materials with a computer lab.

It is home to security, and the director of security is Michael O'Keefe.

Kaplan Hall

MSMC Kaplan.png

The 47,000-square-foot (4,400 m2) recreational facility features two NCAA basketball/volleyball courts, a cardiovascular fitness center, a weight room, an aerobics/dance studio, a competition-sized swimming pool, a raised running track, training rooms, study lounges, a TV lounge, a snack bar, a game room, and four classrooms in the Kaplan Annex.

Villa Madonna

S. R. and Catherine Van Duzer moved into a home (Hull's Villa) originially owned by A. G. Hull and renamed it Rozenhof. Although no exact date has been determined, S.R. Van Duzer greatly expanded the mansion some time in the 1860s and had it transformed into the magnificent structure that exists today. The Van Duzer family sold their Victorian-style home to the Dominican Sisters in 1913. This building originally constituted the entire college - classes, residence hall, offices and the library. Today the Villa is used by the administration, admissions, and study-abroad program office. A "parlor" on the first floor used for lectures, seminars and other small gatherings.

Whittaker Hall

Whittaker Hall was first the carriage house on the original estate. Once the college took ownership of the property, the building was renamed the Domus Angelorum and converted to a music school and recital hall. The building was eventually renamed Whittaker Hall and is now home to the Divisions of Social Science and Philosophy, the Office of Campus Ministry, and a chapel.

Student life

Honor Societies

The college has 12 honor societies: Alpha Chi (general), Alpha Sigma Lambda (continuing education), Beta Beta Beta (biology), Delta Mu Delta (accounting and business), Gamma Sigma Epsilon (chemistry), Kappa Delta Pi (education), Kappa Mu Epsilon (Mathematics), Lambda Pi Eta (Communication Arts), Phi Alpha Theta (history), Psi Chi (psychology), Sigma Tau Delta (English), and Sigma Theta Tau (nursing).

Clubs

Mount Saint Mary has numerous student clubs: Academic Council, American Chemical Society, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Black Student Union, Cheerleading, Choir, Christian Fellowship, Commuter Council, Dance Team, Delta Leadership Society, Different Stages, Habitat for Humanity, Italian Student Association, Lacrosse, Literary Society, Latino Student Union, Math Club, Nursing Student Union, Psychology Student Union, Radio Club,, Residence Living Council, Step Team, Student Business Association, Student Government Association, Student Newspaper-The Clarion, Video Club, Yearbook-Video Club, and Yearbook-Thyme.

Student government

The Student Government Association is the legislative body for student life. It can recommend policy changes to the Dean of Students and the President of the College. The Director of Student Activities advises the Student Government Association. Student representatives sit on major faculty committees and participate in ad hoc committees formed during the year. Mount Saint Mary's Commuter Council represents commuter students on campus, while the Resident Living Council represents students which live on campus.

Student activities

Working with the Director of Student Activities, Student Government plans and implements a variety of activities including films, trips, plays, mixers, dinner dances, coffeehouses, lectures, the campus newspaper (The Clarion) and yearbook (Thyme). The Activity Fee is used to sponsor these events.

The Student Life Center, located in Hudson Hall, is a focal point for Student Activities and events. The center includes the Student Government and student publications offices, an auditorium, as well as meeting rooms and lounges. Food service is also available.

The college provides a shuttle to transport students to local shopping areas and the Beacon Train Station. The shuttle is available on a first-come, first-served basis, with a Mount identification card.

Athletics

MSMC BlueKnights.jpg

Mount Saint Mary College is a NCAA division III school, with 13 competing teams. MSMC participates in the Eastern College Athletic Conference and the Skyline Conference. These intercollegiate athletics programs include baseball, men's and women's basketball, men's and women's cross-country, men's and women's soccer, softball, men's and women's swimming, men's and women's tennis, and women's volleyball. Mount Saint Mary will add men's and women's lacrosse starting in 2009-10. The college also sponsors less competitive intramural sports year round.

The Elaine and William Kaplan Recreation Center is the site of many athletic events on the campus of Mount Saint Mary College. The Kaplan Center contains basketball and volleyball courts, a running track, a pool, a weight room, an aerobics room and training facilities. The men's and women's basketball teams compete inside the Kaplan Center, as do the women's volleyball team and the men's and women's swimming teams.

The Elaine and William Kaplan Athletic Field is located across from Hudson Hall and serves as the site for men's and women's soccer, as well as softball. A combination outdoor tennis court and basketball court is located behind Hudson Hall and is available for practice throughout the year.

Mount Saint Mary College athletic teams also use off-campus facilities including Cronomer Park in the Town of Newburgh (men's and women's tennis) and Delano-Hitch Stadium in the City of Newburgh (baseball).

Presidents

Name Tenure
Mother Leo Vincent Short, O.P. 1960 - 1964
Sr. Mary Francis McDonald, O.P. 1964 - 1972
Dr. William T. O'Hara 1972 - 1976
Sr. Anne Sakac, O.P 1976 - 2008
Fr. Kevin Mackin, O.F.M. July 1, 2008 - present

Notable alumni

  • Thomas Kirwan '70 - New York State Assembly - District 96
  • Cheryl A. Rogowski '84 - Agricultural Entrepreneur and Activist - Recipient of a 2004 MacArthur Foundation "Genius Award" Fellowship
  • Susan Davis '79 - CEO St. Vincent's Health Systems, Bridgeport, CT
  • James Tylee - CEO CyberFM Radio, Medford, NY
  • Angela C. Brust '97 - Contributing Editor, GAES Magazine Albany, NY

External links


Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message