Tottenham within Middlesex in 1961
|Status||Local board (1850 â€“ 1894)
Urban district (1894 â€“ 1934)
Municipal borough (after 1934)
|1894 area||3,014 acres (12.2 km2)|
|1965 area||3,012 acres (12.2 km2)|
|Succeeded by||London Borough of Haringey|
Coat of arms of the borough council
In 1850 a local board of health was established for the civil parish of Tottenham and in 1875 the local board became an urban sanitary authority, without change of name. The ancient parish had included Wood Green and in 1888 the district was divided, with Wood Green gaining its own local board.
The sanitary district was reconstituted as an urban district in 1894 under the Local Government Act 1894 and Wood Green was removed from the parish. In 1934 the urban district was incorporated as a municipal borough. In 1965, the municipal borough was abolished and its former area transferred to Greater London under the London Government Act 1963 to be combined with that of other districts to form the present-day London Borough of Haringey.