From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Negishi Line in the railway network around Yokohama; Yokohama -
Kannai - Shin-Sugita - Ofuna, in green
and southern part of Keihin-Tōhoku
Line are shown in light blue in this map of the southern approaches
The Negishi Line (根岸線 Negishi-sen) is a rail segment between Yokohama and
stations operated by East Japan Railway Company
(JR East), connecting crucial sightseeing spots in Yokohama.
Freight trains also run on this line, and it is essential for the
The Negishi Line does not exist as an independent service, as
all passenger trains go far beyond Yokohama Station. The majority
of these trains go beyond Yokohama, towards Kamata and Ōmiya, as the Keihin-Tōhoku Line - Negishi Line. A
minority of the trains go beyond Yokohama, towards Hachiōji, as the Yokohama Line.
For this reason, the "Negishi Line" is considered part of the
Keihin-Tōhoku Line—Negishi Line (京浜東北線・根岸線 Keihin
Tōhoku-sen—Negishi-sen) and is sometimes called
Keihin-Tōhoku Line (京浜東北線 Keihin Tōhoku-sen).
- The oldest station on the line is Sakuragichō, which opened on
June 12, 1872 (July 5 according to the Calendar that Japan used at
the time) as the first Yokohama station and terminal of the first
railway line in Japan from Shinagawa.
- The line was extended to Kōzu on July 11, 1887, meaning that
trains had to reverse at Yokohama to continue their journeys. This
was alleviated by a bypass line between Kanagawa and Hodogaya which
opened on August 1, 1898.
- The branch was named the Tōkaidō Main Line Branch
Line on October 12, 1909.
- Takashimachō station opened (between Kanagawa and Yokohama) on
December 20, 1914, as the terminus of an electrified Keihin
Line service (the predecessor of today's Keihin-Tōhoku
- On August 15, 1915, A new Yokohama station opened, absorbing
the Takashimachō station and functioning as the new starting point
of the branch line. The old Yokohama station was renamed
Sakuragichō, and the Sakuragichō - Hodogaya curve closed. Keihin
Line service was extended to Sakuragichō on December 30 that year,
when freight service was abolished on the branch.
- Yokohama station moved on October 15, 1928, but between then
and January 26, 1930 temporary platforms were provided for the
Keihin Line either side of the station.
- The Sakuragichō train fire occurred on April 24, 1951.
- On May 19, 1964, the line was extended for the first time, to
Isogo. The line was renamed the Negishi Line,
after one of the new stations. The Takashima freight line opened on
June 1 that year and freight service returned to the line.
- 103 series trains
were introduced to the line over October 1965.
- The line was extended from Isogo to Yōkōdai on March 17, 1970.
On May 20 that year, a 103 series train derailed between
Shin-Sugita and Yōkōdai, injuring two people seriously.
- The final section between Yōkōdai and Ōfuna opened on April 9,
1973. That year, on October 1, Freight service commenced between
Ōfuna and Isogo.
- Freight services between Ōfuna and Isogo ceased on February 1,
1984, three days after the line adopted Automatic Train Control.
- JNR was privatised on April 1 1987. The line passed to JR East,
and JR Freight began operating on it as a Type 2 railway. (Freight
service between Ōfuna and Isogo resumed.)
- Some trains began running through to the Yokosuka Line on
March 15, 2008.
Every 3 minutes between Yokohama and Sakuragichō including Yokohama Line
trains, 5 minutes between Sakuragichō and Isogo, 10 minutes between Isogo and Ōfuna in the
(from Yokohama Station)
||Tōkaidō Main Line, Yokosuka Line, Shōnan-Shinjuku Line, Keikyū Main
Line, Sotetsu Main Line, Tōkyū Tōyoko Line, Minato Mirai Line, Yokohama City Subway
||Yokohama City Subway
||Yokohama City Subway
Line 3 and Line 1
||Kanazawa Seaside Line
||Tōkaidō Main Line, Shōnan-Shinjuku Line, Yokosuka Line, Shonan
Freight trains are a common sight passing over the Negishi
The following rail segments either link up to or are served by
the Negishi Line, for the purpose of transporting
Freight transported via the Negishi Line include
petroleum stored in Negishi, and railway cars produced by the Tokyu
Car Corporation (東急車輌 Tokyu
Sharyō) in Kanazawa Hakkei.