|No. 192 Squadron RAF|
Official squadron crest for No. 192 Squadron RAF
|Active||5 Sep 1917 - Dec 1918
4 Jan 1943 - 22 Aug 1945
15 Jul 1951 - 21 Aug 1958
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Motto||Dare to Discover|
|Squadron Badge heraldry||In front of a flash of lightning, an owl's head affrontée|
No. 192 Squadron was a Royal Air Force squadron, operational during the First as a night training squadron and during the Second World War as a radar countermeasure unit. After the war the squadron served again in the Electronic Intelligence role, until disbanded.
No. 192 Squadron was formed at Gainsborough, Lincolnshire on 5 September 1917 as a night training squadron operating the Royal Aircraft Factory FE.2b and FE.2d. The squadron moved to Newmarket, Suffolk in 1918 and was disbanded in December 1918.
The squadron was re-formed on 4 January 1943 when No. 1474 Flight at RAF Gransden Lodge was re-numbered. The squadron operated specially modified Vickers Wellingtons and de Havilland Mosquitos with the task to identify German radar patterns and wavelenghts. It also carried out similar missions over the Bay of Biscay and the Mediterranean. In April 1943 the squadron moved to RAF Feltwell. At the end of 1943 the squadron moved again to RAF Foulsham to operate with 100 (Bomber Support) Group. During bomber raids the aircraft would provide countermeasures to German radars. The squadron disbanded at the end of the Second World War on 22 August 1945 to form the bases of the Central Signals Establishment, the Radio Warfare Establishment (RWE).
On 15 July 1951 the squadron reformed at RAF Watton as part of that same Central Signals Establishment for Operational Signals Research. Despite the name Research in the role, the squadron continued with its traditional ELectronic Signals INTelligence (ELINT) role. The squadron also used the Boeing Washington and English Electric Canberra in the ELINT role. The squadron disbanded on the 21 August 1958 at Watton when it was renumbered to 51 Squadron.
|Sep 1917||Dec 1918||Royal Aircraft Factory F.E.2||F.E.2b and 2d|
|Jan 1943||Feb 1943||Vickers Wellington||Mks.Ic, III|
|Jan 1943||Mar 1945||Vickers Wellington||Mk.X|
|Jan 1943||Mar 1945||de Havilland Mosquito||Mk.IV|
|Mar 1943||Jul 1943||Handley Page Halifax||Mk.II|
|Jul 1943||Mar 1944||Handley Page Halifax||Mk.V|
|Mar 1944||Aug 1945||Handley Page Halifax||Mk.III|
|Feb 1945||Aug 1945||de Havilland Mosquito||Mk.XVI|
|Aug 1945||Aug 1945||Airspeed Oxford|
|Aug 1945||Aug 1945||Avro Anson||Mk.I|
|Jul 1951||Sep 1952||de Havilland Mosquito||PR.34|
|Jul 1951||Mar 1953||Avro Lincoln||B.2|
|Apr 1952||Feb 1958||Boeing Washington||B.1|
|Jan 1953||Mar 1953||English Electric Canberra||B.2|
|Apr 1954||Apr 1956||Vickers Varsity||T.1|
|Jul 1954||Aug 1958||English Electric Canberra||B.6 (RC)|
|Jul 1957||Aug 1958||de Havilland Comet||C.2 (RC)|