|No. 257 (Burma) Squadron RAF|
|Active||August 1918 – June 1919
May 1940 – March 1945
September 1946 – March 1957
July 1960 – December 1963
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Motto||Burmese: Thay myay gyee shin shwe
("Death or glory")
|post 1950 aircraft insignia|
|Robert Stanford Tuck|
|Squadron Badge||A Chinthe sejant|
|Squadron Codes||ML (May 1940 - Jun 1940)
DT (Jun 1940 - May 1941)
FM (May 1941 - Mar 1945)
A6 (Sep 1946 - 1951)
No. 257 Squadron was formed at Dundee on 18 August 1918 from Nos. 318 and 319 Flights. It flew both seaplanes and flying boats on anti-submarine patrols from Dundee until the end of the First World War and disbanded there on 30 June 1919.
The squadron was re-formed on 17 May 1940 at RAF Hendon as a Fighter Squadron, equipped with Spitfires. The squadron became operational at RAF Northolt, where the squadron flew Hurricanes in the Battle of Britain, during which it was part of No. 11 Group RAF. The squadron was based in south-east England throughout the Battle of Britain and in March began taking part in sweeps over France. Night fighter patrols were also flown and in July 1942 converted to Typhoons which began low-level patrols in September to intercept enemy fighter-bomber raids. Escort missions were also flown and in July 1943, it began offensive operations. The squadron started fighter-bombing sorties in January 1944, and as part of Second Tactical Air Force moved to France in July to provide air support for the Allied armies. By October it was based in Belgium for attacks on enemy transport and battlefield targets. The Squadron disbanded on 5 March 1945.
On 1 September 1946 the squadron was re-formed at RAF Church Fenton as a fighter squadron, flying Gloster Meteors until January 1955. It then converted to Hawker Hunters. On 31 March 1957 the squadron was disbanded for the third time.