|Role||Long Range Patrol and Training|
|Aircraft flown||Bristol Blenheim, Bristol Beaufighter, deHavilland Mosquito, Avro Lancaster, Beech CT-128 Expeditor, Lockheed CP-122 Neptune, Canadair CP-107 Argus, Lockheed CP-140 Aurora|
|Wing||14 Wing Greenwood|
|Motto||Ready to Fight|
|Date founded||15 April 1941|
|Badge||The 404 Squadron's Badge shows a bison's head, representing the ferocity and power of the bison.|
|Notable Battle Honours||Atlantic 1941-45, English Channel and North Sea, 1941-45, Baltic 1944-45, Normandy 1944, Biscay 1943-44|
The squadron was formed at Thorney Island in Sussex, England on 15 April 1941 under Royal Air Force operational control. Tasked with coastal patrol and attack, the squadron flew the Bristol Blenheim Mk.IV & later the Beaufighter. From May 1944 to September 1944 they were based at RAF Davidstow Moor in Cornwall, England. The squadron then disbanded on 25 May 1945.
The squadron was then reformed on April 30, 1951, at RCAF Station Greenwood as 404 Maritime Reconnaissance Squadron. On 17 July 1956, 404 Squadron was redesignated as a Maritime Patrol squadron, and when the CP-140 Aurora came into service the title was changed again to 404 Maritime Patrol and Training Squadron.
Currently 404 Sqn serves as the Operational Training Unit (OTU) for Aircrew and Maintenance personnel who will go on to work on the CP-140/A