The Full Wiki

More info on No. 60 Squadron RAF

No. 60 Squadron RAF: Wikis

Advertisements
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No. 60 (Reserve) Squadron of the Royal Air Force was formed in 1916 at Gosport. It is currently part of the Defence Helicopter Flying School based at RAF Shawbury in Shropshire.

The Squadron crest is a markhor's head and was approved by King George VI in December 1937. Chosen to commemorate many years of service in North-West India, the markhor being a mountain goat frequenting the Khyber Pass. The horns of a markhor were presented to the Squadron in 1964

The Squadron motto is Per ardua ad aethera tendo - 'I strive through difficulties to the sky'.

Formed at Gosport on 30 April 1916, barely a month had passed before the unit and its Morane Scouts were despatched to France. After suffering heavy losses during the Battle of the Somme, the Squadron re-equipped with Nieuport Scouts and soon acquired a first-class reputation for itself. On 2 June 1917, Captain WA "Billy" Bishop received the Victoria Cross for his solo attack on a German aerodrome destroying three enemy aircraft in the air and several 'probables' on the ground before returning unhurt in a badly damaged aircraft. A month later, SE5 fighters arrived and these remained with the Squadron until it was disbanded on 22 January 1920.

Reformed at Lahore in India on 1 April 1920, the Squadron, now equipped with de Havilland bombers, began an association with the Middle and Far East that was to last for 48 years. Between the wars, the unit found itself involved in many conflicts along the North West Frontier, flying Airco DH.9A and Westland Wapiti general-purpose aircraft until Bristol Blenheims arrived six months before the start of World War II. After moving to Burma (now called Myanmar) in February 1941, the Squadron suffered heavily at the hands of the advancing Japanese forces and was eventually declared non-operational and moved to India a year later. During 1943, No 60 Squadron converted to Hawker Hurricane fighter-bombers, attacking targets in Burma until May 1945 when American-built Thunderbolt fighters arrived. Shortly after the Japanese surrender, the Squadron moved to Java and was soon in action against Indonesian rebels. A year later, No 60 transferred to Singapore prior to converting to Supermarine Spitfire F18s and these were employed in attacks against Communist guerrillas in Malaya until the arrival of Vampires in late 1950 and then Venoms in 1955.

By the time Meteor night-fighters arrived in October 1959, the unit had returned to RAF Tengah in Singapore. A change of pace followed in July 1961 when sub-sonic Javelin fighters arrived and these remained until April 1968 when the Squadron was disbanded. On 3 February 1969, the Royal Air Force Communications Squadron based at RAF Wildenrath in Germany was retitled No 60 Squadron and the unit found itself flying ancient Pembroke transports until more modern Andovers arrived in 1987. As with many other Germany-based units, the end of the cold war saw many moves. No 60 disbanded at Wildenrath on 1 April 1992 but reappeared two months later at RAF Benson in Oxfordshire with Wessex helicopters. This proved a short-lived stay and the Squadron was disbanded and the numberplate passed on to the RAF element of the Defence Helicopter Flying School at RAF Shawbury.

References

  • official RAF website

See also

Advertisements

Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message