An obelisk (from Greek ὀβελίσκος - obeliskos, diminutive of ὀβελός - obelos, "spit, nail, pointed pillar") is a tall, narrow, four-sided, tapering monument which ends in a pyramid-like shape at the top. Ancient obelisks were often monolithic whereas most modern obelisks are made of several stones and can have interior spaces.
Because of the Enlightenment-era association of Egypt with mortuary arts, obelisks became associated with timelessness and memorialization.
There are smaller obelisks or similar forms to be found in European, Asian, and American cemeteries or as World War I memorials in rural Australian towns.
In geometry, the 'euclidean class' of an obelisk volume is given as a (n-1)-tuple.
Obelisks were prominent in the architecture of the ancient Egyptians, who placed them in pairs at the entrance of temples. The word "obelisk" as used in English today is of Greek rather than Egyptian origin because Herodotus, the Greek traveller, was one of the first classical writers to describe the objects. Twenty-nine ancient Egyptian obelisks are known to have survived, plus the "Unfinished Obelisk" found partly hewn from its quarry at Aswan. These obelisks are now dispersed around the world, and less than half of them remain in Egypt.
The obelisk symbolized the sun god Ra, and during the brief religious reformation of Akhenaten was said to be a petrified ray of the Aten, the sundisk. It was also thought that the god existed within the structure.
It is hypothesized by New York University Egyptologist Patricia Blackwell Gary and Astronomy senior editor Richard Talcott that the shapes of the ancient Egyptian pyramid and obelisk were derived from natural phenomena associated with the sun (the sun-god Ra being the Egyptians' greatest deity). The pyramid and obelisk might have been inspired by previously overlooked astronomical phenomena connected with sunrise and sunset: the zodiacal light and sun pillars respectively.
The Ancient Romans were strongly influenced by the obelisk form, to the extent that there are now more than twice as many obelisks standing in Rome as remain in Egypt. All fell after the Roman period except for the Vatican obelisk and were re-erected in different locations.
Not all the Egyptian obelisks re-erected in the Roman Empire were set up at Rome. Herod the Great imitated his Roman patrons and set up a red granite Egyptian obelisk in the hippodrome of his new city Caesarea in northern Judea. This one is about 40 feet tall and weighs about 100 tons.  It was discovered by archaeologists and has been re-erected at its former site.
In Constantinople, the Eastern Emperor Theodosius shipped an obelisk in AD 390 and had it set up in his hippodrome, where it has weathered Crusaders and Seljuks and stands in the Hippodrome square in modern Istanbul. This one stood 95 feet tall, weighing 380 tons. Its lower half reputedly also once stood in Istanbul but is now lost. The Istanbul obelisk is 65 feet tall. 
Rome is the obelisk capital of the world. The most prominent is the 25.5 m/83.6 ft high 331 ton obelisk at Saint Peter's Square in Rome.  The obelisk had stood since AD 37 on its site on the wall of the Circus of Nero, flanking St Peter's Basilica:
Re-erecting the obelisk had daunted even Michelangelo, but Sixtus V was determined to erect it in front of St Peter's, of which the nave was yet to be built. He had a full-sized wooden mock-up erected within months of his election. Domenico Fontana, the assistant of Giacomo Della Porta in the Basilica's construction, presented the Pope with a little model crane of wood and a heavy little obelisk of lead, which Sixtus himself was able to raise by turning a little winch with his finger. Fontana was given the project.
The obelisk, half-buried in the debris of the ages, was first excavated as it stood; then it took from April 30 to May 17, 1586 to move it on rollers to the Piazza: it required nearly 1000 men, 140 carthorses, 47 cranes. The re-erection, scheduled for September 14, the Feast of the Exaltation of the Cross, was watched by a large crowd. It was a famous feat of engineering, which made the reputation of Fontana, who detailed it in a book illustrated with copperplate etchings, Della Trasportatione dell'Obelisco Vaticano et delle Fabriche di Nostro Signore Papa Sisto V (1590), which itself set a new standard in communicating technical information and influenced subsequent architectural publications by its meticulous precision. Before being re-erected the obelisk was exorcised. It is said that Fontana had teams of relay horses to make his getaway if the enterprise failed. When Carlo Maderno came to build the Basilica's nave, he had to put the slightest kink in its axis, to line it precisely with the obelisk.
An obelisk stands in front of the church of Trinità dei Monti, at the head of the Spanish Steps. Another obelisk in Rome is sculpted as carried on the back of an elephant. Rome lost one of its obelisks, which had decorated the temple of Isis, where it was uncovered in the 16th century. The Medici claimed it for the Villa Medici, but in 1790 they moved it to the Boboli Gardens attached to the Palazzo Pitti in Florence, and left a replica in its stead.
Several more Egyptian obelisks have been re-erected elsewhere. The best-known examples outside Rome are the pair of 21 m/68 ft Cleopatra's Needles in London(69 feet 187 tons) and New York City(70 feet 193 tons) and the 23 m/75 ft 227 ton obelisk at the Place de la Concorde in Paris. 
There are 29 ancient Egyptian obelisks in the following locations:
A number of obelisks were carved in the ancient Axumite Kingdom of Ethiopia. Together with (21 m high) King Ezana's Stele, the last erected one and the only unbroken, the most famous example of axumite obelisk is the so-called (24 m high) Obelisk of Axum. It was carved around the 4th century AD and, in the course of time, it collapsed and broke into three parts. In these conditions it was found by Italian soldiers in 1935, after the Second Italo-Abyssinian War, looted and taken to Rome in 1937, where it stood in the Piazza di Porta Capena. Italy agreed in a 1947 UN agreement to return the obelisk but did not affirm its agreement until 1997, after years of pressure and various controversial settlements. In 2003 the Italian government made the first steps toward its return, and in 2008 it was finally re-erected.
The largest obelisk, Great Stele at Axum, now fallen, at 33 m high and 3 by 2 meters at the base (520 tons) is one of the largest single pieces of stone ever worked in human history (the largest is either at Baalbek or the Ramesseum) and probably fell during erection or soon after, destroying a large part of the massive burial chamber underneath it. The obelisks, properly termed stelae or the native hawilt or hawilti as they do not end in a pyramid, were used to mark graves and underground burial chambers. The largest of the grave markers were for royal burial chambers and were decorated with multi-story false windows and false doors, while nobility would have smaller less decorated ones. While there are only a few large ones standing, there are hundreds of smaller ones in "stelae fields".
The Romans commissioned obelisks in an Egyptian style.
The obelisk stone (rock) crosses of Kerala form another category of obelisks. The Syrian Christians or St. Thomas Christians of Malabar on the west coast of India had close contacts with the Egyptian and Assyrian worlds, the original habitat of obelisks. The "Ray of the Sun" and Horus concepts are to be found in the idea of Christ and in the orientation of the churches East-West. The use of the cylinder and socket method is found in both structures.
The "Tello Obelisk", from Chavín de Huantar, which used to be housed in the Museo Nacional de Arqueología, Antropología e Historia del Perú in Lima until it was relocated to the Museo Nacional de Chavín in July 2008, is a monolith stele with obelisk-like proportions.
Roger Hopkins and Mark Lehner teamed up with a NOVA (TV series) crew to erect a 25-ton obelisk in late summer of 1999. This was the third attempt to erect a 25-ton obelisk; the first two ended in failure. There were also two successful attempts to raise a two-ton obelisk and a nine-ton obelisk. In 1994 and again in the spring of 1999 Roger Hopkins, Mark Whitby and Mark Lehner teamed up to attempt to erect a 25-ton obelisk but were unable to complete the job. Finally in Aug–Sep of 1999 after learning from their experience they were able to erect one successfully.
First Roger Hopkins and Rais Abdel Aleem organized an experiment to tow a block of stone weighing about 25 tons. They prepared a path by embedding wooden rails into the ground and placing a sledge on them with a megalith weighing about 25 tons on it. Initially they tried to tow it with over 100 people but were unable to budge it. Finally with well over 130 people pulling at once when Roger Hopkins yelled "Allah Akbar" and an additional dozen using levers to prod it forward they moved it. Over the course of a day they were able to tow it 10 to 20 feet. They had several problems with broken ropes. This was adequate to prove that it could be moved this way.  Additional experiments were done in Egypt and other locations to tow megalithic stone with ancient technologies, some of which are listed here.
An experiment was done to transport a small obelisk on a barge in the Nile River. This was done on a barge built based on ancient Egyptian designs. The barge had to be very wide to handle the obelisk with a 2 to 1 ratio length to width and it was at least twice as long as the obelisk. The obelisk was about 10 feet long and no more than 5 tons. A barge big enough to transport the largest Egyptian obelisks with this ratio would have to be close to 200 feet long and 100 feet wide. They used ropes that were wrapped around a guide that enabled them to pull away from the river while they were towing it onto the barge. The barge was successfully launched into the Nile.
The final and successful attempt was organized by Rick Brown, Roger Hopkins, Mark Lehner and Gregg Mullen in a Massachusetts quarry. The preparation work was done with modern technology but experiments have proven that with enough time and people it could have been done with ancient technology. The obelisk raising operation began with the obelisk lying on a gravel and stone ramp. There was a sand pit in the middle which was filled with dry sand. Previous experiments showed that wet sand would not flow as well. The ramp was secured by stone walls and the obelisk was raised by slowly removing the sand while three crews of men pulled on ropes to control the descent. The back wall was designed to guide the obelisk into its proper place. The obelisk had to catch a turning groove which would prevent it from sliding. They used brake ropes to prevent it from going too far. These turning grooves were found on the ancient pedestals. Gravity did most of the work until the final 15° had to be completed by pulling the obelisk forward. They used brake ropes again to make sure it did not fall forward. On September 12 they completed the project. 
This theory has been used to explain how the obelisks may have been erected in Luxor and other locations. It seems to have been supported by a 3,000-year-old papyrus scroll where one scribe taunts another to erect a monument for "thy lord". The scroll reads "Empty the space that has been filled with sand beneath the monument of thy Lord."  To erect the obelisks at Luxor with this method would have involved using over a million cubic meters of stone, mud brick and sand for both the ramp and the platform used to lower the obelisk.  The largest obelisk successfully erected in ancient times was 455 tons. There was also a 520-ton stelae in Axum but this was believed to have been broken while attempting to erect it.
(Listed in date order)
OBELISK (Gr. 60eXtvKos, diminutive of 6/3EXin, a spit), a form of monumental pillar; and also the term for a bibliographical reference-mark in the form of a dagger. The typical Egyptian obelisk is an upright monolith of nearly square section, generally to diameters in height, the sides slightly convex, tapering upwards very gradually and evenly, and terminated by a pyramidion whose faces are inclined at an angle of 60°. Obelisks were usually raised on pedestals of cubical form resting on one or two steps, and were set up in pairs in front of the entrance of temples. Small obelisks have been found in tombs of the age of the Old Kingdom. The earliest temple obelisk still in position is that of Senwosri I. of the XIIth Dynasty at Heliopolis (68 ft. high). A pair of Rameses II. (77 and 75 ft. high respectively) stood at Luxor until one of them was taken to Paris in 1831. Single ones of Tethmosis I. and Hatshepsut (tog ft. high) still stand at Karnak and remains of others exist there and elsewhere in Egypt. Colossal granite obelisks were erected by only a few kings, Senwosri I. in the Middle Kingdom and Tethmosis I.,. Hatshepsut, Tethmosis III. and Rameses II. of the Empire. Smaller obelisks were made in the Saite period. The Romans, admired them, and the emperors carried off some from their original sites and caused others to be made in imitation (e.g. that for Antinous at Benevento): twelve are at Rome, one in Constantinople; two, originally set up by Tethmosis III. at Heliopolis, were taken by Augustus to adorn the Caesareum at Alexandria: one of these, "Cleopatra's Needle," was removed in 1877 to London, the other in 1879 to New York. Such obelisks were probably more than mere embellishments of the temples. The pyramidions were sheathed in bright metal, catching and reflecting the sun's rays as if they were thrones of the sunlight. They were dedicated to solar deities, and were especially numerous at Heliopolis, where there was probably a single one sacred to the sun of immemorial antiquity. The principal part of the sun-temple at Abusir built by. Neuserre of the Vth Dynasty appears to have been in the shape of a stumpy obelisk on a vast scale, only the base now remains, but hieroglyphic pictures, indicate this form. The hieroglyph of some other early sun temples shows a disk on the pyramidion. The material employed for the great obelisks was a pink granite from the quarries of Syene, and in these quarries there still remains,. partially detached, an example 70 to 80 ft. long. The largest obelisk known is that in the piazza of St John Lateran at Rome;. this had been set up by Tethmosis III. at Heliopolis in the 15th century B.C., was brought over from Egypt by Constantine the Great and erected in the Circus Maximus, being ultimately re-erected in 1552 by Pope Sixtus V. It was r05 ft. g in. high, including the pyramidion, and its sides measured 9 ft. to in_ and 9 ft. 8 in. respectively. On the base of the magnificent.
obelisk of Hatshepsut at Karnak, 97 ft. 6 in. high, there is an inscription stating that it and its fellow were made within the short space of seven months. In consequence of the breaking away of the lower part of "Cleopatra's Needles" when removed to Alexandria and re-erected, the Roman engineers supported the angles on bronze crabs, one of which with three reproductions now supports the angles of the obelisk on the Thames Embankment.
There was another form of obelisk, also tapering, but more squat than the usual type, with two of the sides narrow and terminating in a rounded top. One such of Senwosri I., covered with sculpture and inscriptions, lies at Ebgig in the Fayum. Stelae, inscribed with the names of the kings, occurred in pairs in the royal tombs of the Ist Dynasty at Abydos, and pairs of small obelisks are said to have been found in private tombs of the IVth Dynasty. The origin of the obelisk may be sought in sacred upright stones set up in honour of gods and dead, like the menhirs, and the Semitic Massebahs and bethels.
In Abyssinia, at Axum and elsewhere, there is a marvellous series of obelisk-like monuments, probably sepulchral. They range from rude menhirs a few feet high to elaborately sculptured monoliths of too ft. The loftiest of those still standing at Axum is about 60 ft. high, 8 ft. 7 in. wide, and about 18 in. thick, and is terminated by a rounded apex united by a necking to the shaft. The back of the obelisk is plain, but the front and sides are subdivided into storeys by a series of bands and plates, each storey having panels sunk into it which seem to represent windows with mullions and transom. These architectural decorations are derived from a style of building found by the recent German expedition extant in an ancient church; courses of stone here alternate in the walls (both inside and out) with beams of wood held by circular clamps. In front of the bestpreserved obelisk is a raised altar with holes sunk in it apparently to receive the blood of the sacrifice to the ancestors. Most of these must date before the adoption of Christianity as the state religion in the 6th century.
See G. Maspero, L'Archeologie egyptienne (new ed., Paris, 1907), p. 105; H. H. Gorringe, Egyptian Obelisks (New York, 1882; London, 1885, &c.); F. W. von Bissing and L. Borchardt, Das Re-Heiligtum des K6nigs Ne-woser-Re (Berlin, 1905); on the ancient method of raising obelisks, L. Borchardt, "Zur Baugeschichte des Amonstempel von Karnak," in Sethe's Untersuchungen zur Geschichte and Altertumskunde Aegyptens, v. 15. For the Abyssinian obelisks see especially E. Littmann and D. Krencker, Vorbericht der deutschen Aksum Expedition (Berlin, 1906). (F. LL. G.)
This German entry was created from the translations listed at obelisk. It may be less reliable than other entries, and may be missing parts of speech or additional senses. Please also see Obelisk in the German Wiktionary. This notice will be removed when the entry is checked. (more information) June 2008
|This article or section needs to be wikified. Please write this following our layout guide. Tagged since April 2009|
An obelisk is a stone made monument, much like a column but supporting nothing.
Obelisks were erected by Ancient Egytian for an commemoration. Obelisks were usually made of a single piece of stone.
A bird’s eye view of obelisk is square and this structure has gradually tapering 4 sides and its ends in a pyramidal top.
Originally, Obelisks originated with the holy stone of sanctuary which served the god of sun,Ra, in Heliopolis. It usually made a pair in front of gate or sanctuary, and each side of obelisk was written hymn and results of king in hieroglyph.
Obelisks can have interior spaces.
There are similar form of obelisk in Europe and America, and some of them are taken from Egypt by European and American.
A modern Obelisk has been raised in Washington (USA). An Egyptian one has been taken to Paris by Napoleon.