From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Oobi (TV series)
|Country of origin
|No. of seasons
||22 - 23 minutes
– May 2007|
Oobi (pronounced OO-bee) is an American children's television series. Based on an award-winning short-form series, the show is directed toward preschoolers. It currently airs on Nick Jr. (formerly Noggin. It was created by Josh Selig and produced by his company Little Airplane Productions.
Oobi uses bare-handed puppetry, in which the hands themselves are puppets, costumed with the characters' eyes, clothing and hair, and some token props. The thumbs are used to represent mouth movement, and the fingers flutter, clench, and make other movements to indicate emotions(when the thumb scratches the side of the hand, that symbolizes that the character is thinking or feeling confused.). The hands also serve usual purposes, such as holding objects and turning doorknobs. A majority of the characters are right-handed, but two (Mrs. Johnson and Paula) are left-handed.
The characters' speech uses simple vocabulary and they speak in simple sentences. For example, "Uma, school, first day" is said in place of "It's Uma's first day of school" or "It's my first day of school."
There are 51 episodes of Oobi, 46 shorts and 1 unaired episode.
Oobi focuses on the everyday adventures of the "title" character, his younger sister Uma, his best friend Kako, and his grandfather, Grampu. It mirrors the life of its young audience, in which everything is new. The show is intended to build skills such as mathematics, early literacy, and logical thinking. The show is considered miraculous to some parents and caregivers of autistic children, who find the simple sentences easier to communicate.
During breaks between each episode (there are two per show) the characters leave their home to talk to real preschoolers. They interact according to the theme of the episode.
- Oobi - The show's main character,a young 4 year old boy in grade school. At the title sequence, he looks at the screen and says, "Oobi, you, friends." Then he giggles (as some music begins to play). Then he waves as some children say "Bye-bye, Oobi." Voiced by Tim Lagasse As the main character he is in every episode created.Oobi goes to Uma's school but they are in diffrent classrooms (scene in uma preschool).
- Kako - Oobi's 4 year old, excitable and rather slightly arrogant best friend. He usually wears a red cap or something red. His catch phrase is "Perfecto," the Spanish word for perfect. He can be seen with out a cap in Play Ball. Voiced by Noel MacNeal.
- Grampu - Oobi and Uma's wise and caring grandfather. His catch phrase is "Lovely." Voiced by Tyler Bunch.He is the second character who comes in every episode.
- Inka – Oobi's piano teacher and Grampu's love interest. She always seems to be wearing jewelery, unlike any of the other characters, and has apparently never met Uma. Her first episode was "Recital". She has also came in "chez oobi" and piano lesson (Stephanie D'Abruzzo plays both roles).
- Angus – Friend of Oobi, Uma and Kako with a nervous demeanor and a bad case of stage fright. His eyes are underneath his hand instead of on top. He was seen in "Parade", "Recital" and "Theater". In "Theater", his stage fright is apparently gone.
- Mrs Johnson – One of Oobi's neighbors. She owns a cat (named Kitty) and has one of the best-decorated houses on Halloween. she appears in "Superheros" and is seen on "Theater "
- Maestru – Director of the singing group at the community center, and the "Little Red" play in the park. His index finger is always pointing upward, resembling a baton. He shows up on "Theater and "Sing".
- Ray and Mimi - Other members of the singing group; their names are a pun on the Do-Re-Mi song.
- Amy - a deaf girl who befriends Oobi and Kako in the park; they call her the "Cup-Ball Queen."
- Tulla – Oobi and Uma's dance teacher.
- Popu and Momu – Kako's parents. Kako's Momu is shown with Grampu in the audience in "Theater" and Papu has been making dinner for Oobi Kako and himself which is a episode he was in called "Kako dinner". Popu helps Oobi try okra. Popu also appears in Halloween.
- Paula – Uma's preschool teacher.
- Moppy, Tarrow and Fred – Uma's preschool classmates. Moppy is probably Uma's best friend in preschool. Fred has a pet gerbil. Tarrow is the most creative and artistic of the four.
- Bella – Grampu's friend, a greengrocer. She was also seen in "Theater".
- Sheila – A young mother who Oobi and Grampu meet in the park.
- Sophie – Sheila's baby daughter, to whom Oobi babysits for one day and learns about babies. Sophie likes Oobi.
- Frieda – A young girl Oobi meets in the park. Unlike most other characters, Frieda is a foot.
- Frankie - Frieda's friend, also a foot. He has a Southern accent and plays "Piggies" and "Shoes" with Frieda.
- Randy – Oobi and Uma's babysitter. Uma doesn't get along with him at first ("Randy not Grampu -- hmmph!"), but he wins her over after dancing with her doll to some polka music. He comes up with the nicknames "Oobi-Dude" and "Uma Zooma"; Uma in turn calls him "Randy Candy."
- Nick – Waiter of a Chinese restaurant where Uma learns how to use chopsticks. Uma asks, "Nick Chinese?" but Nick specifies, "Nick Chinese-American."
- Dr. Rose – Oobi's pediatrician and another one of Grampu's friends. She mentions that she has a brother. She teaches Oobi about health, like not eating too much junk food and getting a shot is important.
- Chauncy - A boy Oobi talks with at Dr. Rose's waiting room, who says with a sniffle that the doctor is nice. (After Oobi finishes his appointment, he meets an apprehensive Moppy in the waiting room, and reassures her as well. Her father, Poppy, can be seen in the background reading a book.)
- George – Uma's class pet, a hamster.
- Oobi gets a pet turtle, which initially makes Kako jealous when a playdate becomes all about the turtle.
- Kako has a puppy, which Oobi "puppy-sits" one afternoon -- walking him, feeding him, bathing him, and eventually playing with him.
Oobi's like me, Oobi's like you -- Oobi's got a lot of big things that he's gonna do -- Uma's his sis, he's big, she's small -- Kako is his very best friend, Grampu loves them all -- Oh Oobi -- Oobi Oobi Oobi Oobi Oobi -- He's got a lot to see, he's got a lot to do -- And he's always with you
- Rockabye Lullaby (performed by Randy, Oobi & Uma in "Babysitter")
- Trip Wow (performed by Uma, Oobi, Kako & Grampu in "Trip")
- Little Red Riding Hood (performed in "Theater" by Oobi (Wolf), Uma (Red Riding Hood), Kako (Grandma) & Angus (Woodsman)
- Get Better Uma (performed by Oobi & Kako)
- Neighborhood (performed by Oobi, Kako, Uma & Grampu)
- Clean Room (performed by Oobi, Uma & Kako)
- Grampu Love Oobi (performed by Oobi and Grampu in "Fishing")
List of Show Segments
- Dance (01-01-2004)
- Tag (01-02-2004)
- Flush (01-03-2004)
- On/Off (01-04-2004)
- Share Pretzels (01-06-2004)
- Watermelon (01-07-2004)
- Soup (01-08-2004)
- Hot Dog and Ketchup (01-09-2004)
- Prince Oobi (01-10-2004)
- Bubbles (01-11-2004)
- Empty and Full (01-12-2004)
- Popcorn (01-13-2004)
- Worm (01-14-2004)
- Apple Picking (01-15-2004)
- Pretend Wind (01-16-2004)
- Tea (01-17-2004)
- Ice Cream (01-18-2004)
- Water Games (01-24-2004)
- Guess (01-25-2004)
- Bird (01-31-2004)
- Cat (02-01-2004)
- Puppy (02-07-2004)
- Animal Cookies (02-08-2004)
- Slide (02-14-2004)
- Follow the Leader (02-15-2004)
- Peekaboo (02-22-2004)
- Alphabet Power (04-04-2004)
- Hide and Seek (04-10-2004)
- Nature (04-11-2004)
- Pretend Catch (04-14-2004)
- Music (04-17-2004)
- Guitar (04-18-2004)
- Bongo Drums (04-24-2004)
- Quiet Read (04-25-2004)
- Clap Hands (05-01-2004)
- Painting (05-02-2004)
- Macaroni Jewellery (05-08-2004)
- Paint Shapes (05-09-2004)
- Pinch Pot (05-15-2004)
- Drawing Game (05-16-2004)
- Neighborhood Art (05-22-2004)
- Toothpaste (05-23-2004)
- Feelings (05-26-2004)
- Cake (05-27-2004)
- Wet and Dry (05-29-2004)
- Bubble Bath (05-30-2004)
- Grampu Day (06-20-2004) - Oobi, Uma, and Kako create a holiday called 'Grampu day' and they each make a special gift for Grampu to show how much they love him.
- Uma Preschool (09-06-2004) - It's Uma's first day at preschool. Grampu takes her to preschool where she meets her teacher, Paula. At first, Uma does not want Grampu to leave, but her teacher and her new friend, Moppy, help Uma feel comfortable. Soon, Uma is having the time of her life at preschool.
- Dinosaur (09-06-2004) - Oobi is excited to show everyone a storybook he just made called "The Lost Umasaurus." As he reads the story, we see the story played out in an Oobi-style dinosaur world. Together, the dinosaurs (Oobi-Rex, and Dino-Kako) help the Umasaurus find her way home to Grampusaurus.They soon find him
- Halloween (10-25-2004) - Oobi and Uma go trick or treating. It is Uma's first Halloween, and after Oobi teaches her all the rituals, Uma takes Kako under her wing and helps him overcome his fear of Halloween.
- Superheroes (10-25-2004) - Kako (Kako-Man), Oobi (Super Oobi) and Uma (Uma) are in the park playing superheroes. They fly around the park doing good, simple superhero deeds. Finally, they come upon a woman's cat is stuck in a tree. With Grampu's help, Oobi, Kako and Uma help save the cat.
- Baby (05-08-2005) - In the park, Oobi meets a mom and a baby. He is fascinated. The Mom explains how she takes care of the baby and lets Oobi help feed her, burp her, and play with her. Oobi gets to hold a baby for the very first time.
- Shopping (02-12-2006) - Grampu takes Oobi and Kako to the grocer's, owned by Grampu's friend, Bella, to buy some fruit. At first, Oobi and Kako make mischief at the fruit stand(putting too much fruit in the scale and pulling an orange out of the bottom of the stack), but then Grampu helps them learn the importance of respecting other peoples' property.
- Video (02-12-2006) - Grampu suggests that instead of watching a video, the children make a video. Oobi and Uma are thrilled, and Grampu shows them how to shoot and edit a home video. They watch the completed video on the TV with Kako and eat popcorn.
- Uma Sick (02-12-2006) - Uma has a cold so Oobi and Kako spend the day trying to make her feel better. They try making a card filled with things that Uma likes, but fail. They then try a 'get-better dance". This fails as well. Grampu explains that what Uma really needs to do is rest. The boys sing Uma a beautiful lullaby until she falls asleep. Soon she is back to her healthy self.
- Play Date (02-12-2006) - Oobi and Kako have a playdate. Oobi gets a pet turtle and forgets about Kako and the playdate they had planned. The boys plan to play, draw and sing, but Kako is annoyed when the playdate becomes all about the turtle. Oobi realizes that Kako's feelings have been hurt and he apologizes. The boys have a great time together with the turtle.
- Clean Up (02-12-2006) - Oobi's room is a mess but Uma is allowed to go out to play. Grampu asks him to clean his room before he can go out and play. After some hesitation, Uma and Kako decide that if they work together and help Oobi, they can get the cleaning done quickly and then enjoy the beautiful day together.
- Grown-Up (02-12-2006) - Oobi, Uma and Kako imagine what it would be like to be grown-ups. Oobi and Kako say, "Grown-ups cool," but Uma insists, "Kids cooler." They dress up and pretend to be grown-ups(fire fighters, musicians and business people and do all kinds of grown-up things. In the end, they decide it's much more fun being kids.
- Babysitter (03-13-2006) - Grampu and Inka go out for an evening of polka dancing, but Uma is disappointed that she's too young to go. Oobi and Uma have to get used to their new babysitter, Randy, a friendly and playful person.
- Sing (03-13-2006) - At Oobi's house, Oobi and Kako hear a song called "Yo-to-ho!" and they decide to join a singing group at the community center. At first, they fool around and sing, "Yo-to-ho!" instead of what everyone else is singing, Row Row Row Your Boat. The singing teacher, Maestru, helps Oobi and Kako understand "same song always". The boys sing a "round."
- Recital (03-13-2006) - Oobi is about to perform at a piano recital at the community hall. He is very confident at first, but when he makes a mistake on stage, he panics and runs offstage. Kako has a heart-to-heart talk with Oobi, and persuades him to finish his performance and learn that messing up isn't so bad.
- Nature Walk (03-13-2006) - Grampu takes the kids on a nature walk. They use a checklist to check off the things they see: some flowers, a chipmunk, and then, much to their delight, an eagle. It is a great day outdoors.
- Check-Up (03-13-2006) - Oobi goes to see his pediatrician, Dr. Rose, for a check-up. Oobi is nervous at first (especially when he hears that he is getting a vaccine), but the doctor's bedside manner helps puts Oobi at ease.
- Neighborhood (03-13-2006) - Oobi and Kako build a small version of their neighborhood out of boxes and paint. They give Uma a tour and explain what everything is. Uma loves the tour, and they all sing a song about their neighborhood.
- Uma Trip (03-13-2006) - After playing with her toy vehicles, Uma decides she wants to take a trip. She packs a small suitcase, and enlists Oobi and Kako to help make costumes of an airplane, a train and a boat. Uma "rides" these "vehicles" to the kitchen where Grampu has made a special snack for the kids: brownies.
- Theater (03-13-2006) - This is a musical version of Little Red Riding Hood. The production is staged in the park with Grampu and the neighbors in the audience. Maestru directs and plays his keyboard. Uma plays Little Red Riding Hood, Oobi plays the wolf, Kako plays the mother and grandmother, and Angus steals the show as the woodsman. Inka is notable by her absence.
- Chopsticks (04-10-2006) - The family goes out for Chinese food, like egg rolls, shrimp and dumplings. A nice waiter named Nick shows the family how to use chopsticks. With persistence, Uma overcomes her frustration and finally learns how to use chopsticks.
- Parade (04-10-2006) - After seeing a parade poster, Uma wants to be in a parade. With home-made costumes and floats, she leads Oobi (as a float) and Kako (as a one-man band in their very own parade. They march around their block singing with all the neighbors watching.
- Uma Dreams (04-10-2006) - Grampu puts Uma and Oobi to bed. Uma falls asleep and has a nightmare. She wakes up and tells Grampu her dream. Grampu helps Uma get back to sleep and she has a good dream. She wakes up in the morning, and happily tells her family all about her good dream.
- Fishing (04-10-2006) - Grampu takes Oobi fishing. Oobi learns a bit about patience, and finally catches a fish. At first, Oobi is thrilled, but then he feels badly for the fish and persuades Grampu that they should set the fish free. Oobi and Grampu enjoy their special day together, regardless of the fact that they return home without any fish, but then Oobi finds a way to make things better by insisting on eating tuna fish from the store, which Grampu accepts.
- Kako Dinner (04-10-2006) - Oobi goes to Kako's house where his dad, Popu, prepares a very special meal. Oobi hears new music, tries new foods, and plays some new games.
- Dance Class (05-08-2006) - Oobi and Uma take dance lessons and learn that practice is the only way to become good at something. Oobi, Uma, and their teacher, Tulla, celebrate their new moves with a fabulous dance party. Grampu feels the beat and joins in as well.
- Oobi's Car (05-08-2006) - Uma is careless with Oobi's favorite toy car and she accidentally breaks off one of its wheels, and when she tries to fix it herself with her toy tools she just accidentally makes the toy worse, breaking other parts of the car off. Despite her apologies, Oobi is furious. Grampu explains to him that Uma is sorry for what she did, that Uma is little and that accidents happen sometimes. Grampu and Uma fix the car and Oobi forgives her, especially after she fixes the squeaky wheel.
- Uma Bathroom (05-08-2006) - After an enjoyable day of playing with Oobi and Kako in the mud, Uma objects to taking a bath but soon learns that bath time can be fun when you add a dance and game to bathroom activities.
- Uma Swing (05-08-2006) - Uma is excited to be at the playground so doesn't listen to Oobi about being careful on the swings and falls off. Oobi helps Uma regain her confidence by having fun on other equipment until she is ready to enjoy the swings safely.
- New Friend (05-08-2006) - A day at the park with Grampu becomes very special for Oobi when he meets a five-year-old girl named Frieda who looks very different from him. Oobi learns that differences are good and new friends come in many shapes and sizes.
- Make Art (06-05-2006) - When the family decides to make art together, Oobi struggles with what he would like to make. Finally he has a breakthrough when he realizes that art can be whatever he would like it to be.
- Make Music (06-05-2006) - The kids decide to start their own band and try to find some instruments. Kako blows into a bottle and Uma hits a pot. Oobi tries spaghetti and eggs, but none of them make music. He starts to feel frustration, but then discovers that he is an instrument and can make a sound by clapping his hand with Grampu. Soon they are all making music together.
- Garden Day (06-05-2006) - Grampu teaches the kids how flowers grow and gives them a seed to plant. After much waiting they see a sprout emerge from the soil. The kids make up a 'plant, water, and grow' dance based on what they've learned about gardening.
- Sleep Over (06-05-2006) - Oobi goes to Kako's house for a sleepover. Uma misses Oobi terribly, and she also is disappointed that she's not invited. Grampu does his best to make Uma feel better, but the only thing that works is a phone call and a lullaby from Oobi.
- Camp Out (06-19-2006) - Grampu takes Oobi, Uma, and Kako camping in the backyard. Oobi is scared of sounds until Grampu shows him that the sounds of the night are nothing to be afraid of after he shows Oobi the source of the sounds: a cat, an owl and the door. Later, Uma and Kako get scared of a sound until Oobi shows them the sound: Grampu snoring.
- Pretend Circus (06-19-2006) - When the kids learn that they can't go to the real circus, they use their imaginations to play pretend circus. Kako is the ringmaster and Oobi and Uma become elephants, acrobats and even imagine Grampu as a clown going "Oopa-Doo!".
- Showtime (06-19-2006) - Oobi and Kako decide to put on a puppet show. Uma wants to help, but after she messes up helping the boys make their costumes, they ask her to watch instead. In the end, Oobi and Kako realize that in order to have a successful show they need Uma's help to pull the string that opens the curtain.
- Fort (06-19-2006) - Obbi and Kako fight about whose fort is best. But Uma and Granpu say separate forts are no fun, making Oobi and Kako forgive each other and the two combine their forts.
- Piano Lesson (07-03-2006) - Oobi has his first piano lesson with his new piano teacher, Inka. Inka teaches Oobi he must relax and practice in order to play the piano. Grampu appears to be infatuated with Inka.
- Uma Chicken (07-03-2006) - Oobi, Kako, and Uma play Old Macdonald and pretend to be farm animals. Uma won't stop pretending to be a chicken until she finally comes face to face with a real live chicken. She decides she would rather be Uma after all.
- Uma's Birthday (07-03-2006) - A big surprise birthday party for Uma becomes more about the party and less about Uma. Uma becomes a little overwhelmed with too much surprises, presents, cake, games and dancing and Grampu, Oobi, and Kako realize that Uma would prefer a small party.
- Petting Zoo (07-03-2006) - Grampu takes Oobi and Kako to the petting zoo and the boys are afraid of the pony. They pet some of the animals, but their biggest excitement comes when they get over their fear of the pony and join Grampu for a ride.
- Asparagus (07-17-2006) - Uma doesn't want to try asparagus so Grampu and Oobi pretend it's a train, a tree, and even make it disappear with a magic trick, but she still won't eat it. Oobi convinces Uma to take a small taste and she discovers she likes it a lot.
- Play Ball (07-17-2006) - Kako becomes frustrated with T-ball and refuses to play. After Oobi learns the basics of Kako's handclapping game, Oobi teaches Kako the fundamentals of T-ball. Kako gets a hit and we also discover that Uma is a T-ball natural. Grampu is very proud despite getting hit with the ball that Uma hit.
- Kako's Puppy (07-17-2006) - Oobi learns that even though puppies are cute and cuddly, they are also a big responsibility. With Grampu's guidance, Oobi learns to feed, walk and bath the puppy and finally gets to play with the puppy too.
- Rainy Day (07-17-2006) - When the rain spoils their plans, Oobi and Kako reluctantly join Uma in her search for a rainbow. The three enjoy catching raindrops, splashing in puddles and Uma finally finds a rainbow.
- Valentine (02-14-2007) - Oobi and Uma make valentines for Grampu. They receive a "mystery valentine" from the letter carrier and try to figure out who the mystery valentine is. They follow a trail of hearts to discover their mystery valentine.
- Chez Oobi - When Grampu prepares a special dinner date for himself and Inka, Oobi and Kako act as waiters, pretending it's a fancy restaurant. Inka and Grampu have a lovely romantic dinner and invite Oobi and Kako to join them for dessert.
- Haircut - Oobi wakes with a wild patch of hair. He first tries to hide it, then style it, but nothing seems to satisfy him. Oobi asks Grampu to bring him to the barber, where Oobi gets his very first haircut.
- Sign Language - Oobi and Kako make a new friend in the park who seems different from them. Grampu explains that the girl is deaf, and helps Oobi and Kako learn some sign language so they can communicate with her.
- Make Pizza - Grandpu and the kids attempt to make a pizza pie for lunch.
- Behind the Hand (3-15-10)- Behind the scenes of Oobi puppets.