The Oregon Air National Guard is a Federally mandated and equipped military organization under the civilian direction of the Oregon Military Department, with the Governor of Oregon as its Commander in Chief. The modern Guard includes airmen, and its motto is "When we are needed, we are there."
The Oregon Air National Guard is the air wing of the Oregon National Guard, and operates the Portland Air Base at the Portland International Airport, Kingsley Field in Klamath Falls, and the Camp Rilea Air Station in Warrenton where it trains and equips members to provide national defense and security, public disaster assistance, and search and rescue operations. 
The Oregon Air National Guard program comprises the following:
This squadron is located with the 173d Fighter Wing in Klamath Falls, Oregon.
The 114th Fighter Squadron was formed as a training squadron for Air National Guard F-4 Phantom II pilots in the Air Defense role in 1983. The 114th transitioned to the F-16 Fighting Falcon in 1989. Again the 114th Fighter Squadron was teaching the Air Defense role. The 114th Fighter Squadron also held an alert mission for a time as part of the NORAD network. The Ready Alert structures are still present at Kingsley Field where the 114th is based.
The squadron converted from F-16 Fighting Falcon aircraft to the F-15 aircraft in 1998. The 173d Fighter Wing has 19 PAI currently assigned. The fighter wing is assigned to the US Air Forces Air Education and Training Command (AETC) and is one of the primary "school houses" for F-15 pilots.
The 114th is currently expanding and taking on a larger role. During 2007, the 114th is due to receive five F-15s from other squadrons. The first of these new aircraft came from Tyndall Air Force Base in Panama City, Florida.
The 116th ACS is a deployable radar/communications unit with superior mobility and response to the world's and local missions. They were the first unit to be activated in Oregon for Operation Noble Eagle, and they were the last to come off of that activation.
The 116th Aircraft Control Squadron was constituted and allotted to the National Guard effective 24 May 1946. On 8 July 1946 the 116th Aircraft Control Squadron was authorized to organize at Marietta AAB, Georgia and was assigned to the 154th Aircraft Control & Warning Group. Federal recognition was received 10 December 1946.
The unit was alerted for federal service on 6 December 1950. On 3 January 1951 the unit was notified it would be redesignated and reorganized as the 116th Aircraft Control & Warning Squadron (Tactical) effective after 18 January 1951. The unit was activated on 8 January 1951 as the 116th Aircraft Control Squadron. A station change followed, 15 January 1951, to Sewart AFB, Tennessee. Redesignated and reorganized as the 116th Aircraft Control & Warning Squadron (Tactical) and assigned to the 154th Aircraft Control & Warning Group (Tactical) occurred on 5 February 1951. From 9 to 20 February 1951 messages and letters changed the redesignation portion of the original messages and orders; so as, the 116th was redesignated 116th Tactical Control Squadron effective 5 February 1951 and assigned to the 154th Tactical Control Group. The unit was redesignated and reorganized as the 116th Aircraft Control & Warning Squadron effective 6 July 1951 and assigned to the 154th Aircraft Control & Warning Group.
The unit was alerted for Permanent Change of Station (PCS) and foreign service on 20 August 1951. Notified, 8 October 1951, of movement through NYPE and Casablanca, French Morocco for further movement as directed by Commanding General, USAF. On 14 November 1951 the readiness date for relocation changed from 1 December 1951 to 1 March 1952. The unit departed Sewart AFB, Tennessee on 2 June 1952 and arrived at Casablanca, French Morocco on 16 June 1952. The unit arrived at Nouasseur, French Morocco (PCS) on 11 August 1952. On 20 August 1952 the unit moved to Rabat Sale, French Morocco another PCS. The unit was relieved from active military service, less personnel and equipment, and returned to NGB control on 8 October 1952. The 116th Tactical Control Squadron (Control and Reporting Center) was constituted and allotted, 27 May 1971, with station at Portland ANG Base, Oregon and assigned to the 153rd Tactical Control Group. Federal recognition was received on 9 June 1971. The unit was reassigned to the 154th Tactical Control Group effective 1 April 1976. Redesignation as the 116th Tactical Control Flight occurred 1 May 1987. The unit moved (PCS) to Camp Rilea, Oregon effective 19 September 1988 and was designated 116th Tactical Control Squadron effective 15 October 1988. The unit designation changed to the 116th Air Control Squadron effective 16 June 1992.
Activations (Partial and Unit)
Air Control Squadron Allotted: 24 May 1946 to ANG
Aircraft Control & Warning Squadron (Tactical), Marietta Army Air Base, Georgia Sewart Air Force Base, Tennessee July 1951 – 8 October, 1952
Tactical Control Squadron Portland, Air National Guard Base, Oregon Relocated: Camp Rilea, Warrenton, Oregon October 1988 9 June, 1971 – 1 May, 1987
Tactical Control Flight Portland, Air National Guard Base, Oregon Relocated: Camp Rilea, Warrenton, Oregon October 1988 1 May, 1987 – 16 June, 1992
Air Control Squadron Camp Rilea, Warrenton, Oregon Redesignated: ACS 16 June, 1992 Equipment: MPS-11A, TPS-40, TPS-43E, TPS-75, replacement radar August 1975 due to structural failures.
Previously designated as the 123d Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, the squadron was renamed the 123d Fighter Squadron in 1992. The 123d Fighter Squadron reports to the 142d Fighter Wing.
The Unit has been flying the F-15 Eagle fighter since 1989 . - The 142d Fighter Wing has 15 PAI and 3 BAI/AR F-15A and F-15B Eagles. The unit is presently converting to F-15C and F-15D Eagles. Two of its aircraft sit alert in support of NORAD 24 hours a day.
Located on Portland Air National Guard Base (PANGB). It is one of only two of this type of unit in the Air National Guard. It was officially established on 1 May 2005. As of that date, it is the Air National Guard's newest unit. Located at the Portland International Airport, the 125 STS is currently hiring Special Operations Weather Team members (SOWT), as well as Combat Controllers (CCT). SOWT candidates at the 125 STS have the unique requirement to integrate fully into the existing CCT team structure, as well as perform the historical function of Special Operations Weather support to ALL SOF capable military units, particularly Army Special Forces.
The history of the Oregon Air National Guard and the 142d Fighter Wing began just prior to World War II when the United States, monitoring the war raging in Europe and China, began focusing less on neutrality and more on preparedness. Answering the call to arms, Major G. Robert Dodson, an Oregonian serving with the 321st Observation Squadron Reserve at Pearson Field, Vancouver, Washington, requested the National Guard Bureau's authorization to form an Oregon flying unit. His short, official request- "We've got people, we've got a place, and we're ready!"- launched the 123d Observation Squadron on April 18, 1941.
Five months later the squadron was federally activated under different unit designations flying the O-47, BC-1A and later the F-5 reconnaissance version of the P-38 in the China-Burma theatre and with others serving in Europe. At the war's end, the unit regrouped as the 123d Fighter Squadron. By 1946, the ever-expanding unit was redesignated the 142d Fighter Interceptor Group.
In 1951, the group mobilized in support of the Korean War. After supporting the Korean conflict it remained very active in air defense matters through the intervening Cold War years, eventually becoming a Fighter Wing in 1995. Since its creation the wing has flown the O-47, BC-1A, F-5, F-51, B-25J, F-86, F-94, F-89, F-102, F-101, F-4C, T-33 and a host of support aircraft. Today the fighting "Redhawks" are proud to continue service as a component of the Total Force in defense of our nation flying the F-15A/B, providing both continuous air defense and air superiority capabilities. With more than 1,000 officers and airmen, the unit guards the Pacific Northwest skies from northern California to the Canadian border, on 24-hour alert as part of the North American Air Defense system.
As a vital asset to Air Combat Command and Air Expeditionary Force structures, the 142d Fighter Wing participates around the globe supporting drug interdiction where needed, USAFE air defense, as well as contingency operations.
The 173d Fighter Wing is located at Kingsley Field in Klamath Falls, Oregon. The 173d Fighter Wing provides training for new pilots and pilot instructors on Air to Air combat tactics and basic flight instruction on the F-15. Also, Flight Surgeons, Dentists, and Optometrists receive specialized training on treating the unique physiological problems of pilots. The base in Klamath Falls is the more modern of the two major ANG installations in Oregon.
Located on Kingsley Field.
Located on Portland ANGB. Slated for closure due to the reset of Air National Guard resources.