|Irish grid reference
|Elevation:||17 m (56 ft)|
Palmerstown (Irish: Baile Phámar) is a suburban area of Dublin, Ireland located to the west of the city centre in the county of South Dublin. The area is bordered to the west by Lucan, to the south by Ballyfermot and to the east by the village of Chapelizod. Palmerstown is situated near the Liffey Valley Shopping Centre, which lies west of the M50 and takes its name from the picturesque Liffey valley to the north.
The area is situated near a major junction of the M50 motorway (running from north to south) and N4 road (passing east to west). Prior to construction of the N4 (which now acts as the main arterial road for traffic entering and exiting Dublin city to and from the West) the Old Lucan Road was the main route into the city from the West, and it passes through Palmerstown village.
The main public transport node is in the form of bus stops running along both sides of the N4, with Dublin Bus and other bus services running in and out of the city to Lucan, Celbridge, Leixlip and Maynooth stopping here. There are also two other bus routes, one of which (the 26) travels to/from Cherryorchard/Dublin city centre via Palmerstown (Kennelsfort road) and the other (the 18) which travels to/from the Old Lucan Road to many of the southern suburbs of Dublin.
Palmerstown railway station opened in November 1881 and finally closed on 13 April 1940.
The Village includes Robin Villas, and Hollyville. This area includes Stewart's Hospital, St. Philomenas church, the Parish Hall, the Palmerstown House pub and a number of shops, including a Londis convenience shop.The old village of Palmerstown contains several shops, The Palmerstown House, a local pub, the local church, St. Philomena's and Stewarts Hospital. The hospital, which provides care to people with intellectual disabilities, overlooks the Liffey valley and is also an administrative centre for the Health Service Executive (HSE), which is responsible for providing National health and personal social services.
Stewart's Hospital also owns and operates a small school for people with intellectual disabilities, and has a Sports and Leisure centre for the general public that also hosts a summer camp every year.
Old Palmerstown is a relative term referring to part of the area that was constructed mainly between 1955 and 1965. "The Cell" of Old Palmerstown is bounded by the Wheatfield and Kennelsfort roads, and by the N4. Manor Road, within Old Palmerstown, is the main local shopping district with newsagents, hairdressers, takeaways, the local credit union and a doctor's surgery.
To the east of old Palmerstown is Glenaulin Park, home to St. Patricks GAA club and Palmerstown United F.C.
Mill Lane, a football ground opposite the river Liffey, is home to Palmerstown Rangers F.C.
Woodfarm Acres takes its name from the Woodfarm cottages which previously existed on the site, a large housing estate built main during the 1970s now exists which is bounded by the M50 motorway and N4.
Adjacent to the Acres is another local shopping centre containing a local SuperValu, a bowling alley, an Xtra-vision video store, diner and other shops. Access to the local cemetery is adjacent to this centre. The Silver Granite pub is located nearby as is a petrol station and Pobalscoil Isolde, a public secondary school
The Oakcourt housing estate lies behind Pobalscoil Isolde and was constructed in the 1970s, with additional developments in the 1990s,