The Full Wiki

More info on Parrish, Florida

Parrish, Florida: Wikis


Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Parrish is an unincorporated community in Manatee County, Florida, United States. It is located near the intersection of US 301 and State Road 62. It is home to the Florida Gulf Coast Railroad Museum.

Parrish is part of the BradentonSarasotaVenice Metropolitan Statistical Area.


Parrish is located at 27°35′14″N 82°25′31″W / 27.5872°N 82.4253°W / 27.5872; -82.4253Coordinates: 27°35′14″N 82°25′31″W / 27.5872°N 82.4253°W / 27.5872; -82.4253 (27.5872, -82.4253).[1]


Parrish has roots to Florida's early history. The following text is on a monument in Oak Hill Cemetery:

“Oak Hill” Parrish Florida

Captain William B Hooker acquired this land from the US Government in 1850. William H Johnson raised Sea Island cotton on the land with Hooker. Both were prominent soldiers during the Third Seminole war. Major William Iredell Turner (1812-1881) moved here from Tampa in 1865. His son Charles A Turner purchased the property from Hooker in 1866 and then deeded it to Major Turner in 1867. Major Turner who named the plantation Oak Hill was an outstanding soldier during the Second Seminole war and the War Between the States. He was commander of Ft Brooke in Tampa for a period during the last mentioned war and later commanded Turner’s Independent cavalry C.S.A, in which he served as major. He is credited with naming Gainesville with leading the founder of Palmetto to that place and with establishing “Braidentown” and was the first postmaster of that town. He was chairman of the first Manatee County School Board. Was a Manatee County Commissioner and formerly had been a State Senator from Hillsborough County. When Major Turner and Major John T Lesley were helping confederate secretary of State Judah P Benjamin escape following the collapse of the confederacy, they hid Benjamin in a swamp behind Major Turners House. He remained there for several days until they were sure the area was cleared of federal soldiers. He was then transported to Gamble Mansion The settlement of Oak Hill the name of which was later changed to Parrish grew up around this plantation. Erected by Gen Robert E Lee Camp Sons of Confederate Veterans Major William L Turner Chapter Military Order of the Stars and Bars And the Turner Family 1985. The late Ola Mae Sims acted as mayor of Parrish for a great number of years keeping the black community up to date with all the current information within the county. There is a park nammed after Ola on Erie Road to keep the legacy of helping each other alive.


  1. ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2000 and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2005-05-03. Retrieved 2008-01-31.  

Parrish’s Founding Family from sign in Neal community Parrish is named after one of its first settlers, Crawford Parrish (1811-1899) who came to Manatee County in 1869. He purchased land at Oak Hill from Major William Turner, on which Parrish famed food crops as well as tobacco, citrus, cattle and hogs. He also homesteaded many acres and in 1885 was awarded a 40 acre land grant signed by President Grover Cleveland. He as his wife, Mary, had eight children many of whose descendants still call Parrish home. Crawford and Mary Parrish are buried at Fortner Cemetery. Crawford and Mary Parrish’s son John Parrish (1857-1918) was influential in the early years of Parrish. Like many of his neighbors. Parrish made much of his income from citrus, which had to be hauled by mule and wagon to waiting boats in Bradenton. Parrish knew that a railroad stop at Oak Hill ( as Parrish was then known) was crucial to the towns development. He convinced railroad and government officials to build a depot at Oak Hill and he donated land for the depot, water tank and for miles of track. The depot brought packing houses, grocers, doctors, druggists and other merchants to town. Parrish thrived until the Great Depression destroyed much of its commerce and farmers and ranchers were forced to leave for work in big cities. Packing houses and grocers closed down and would take decades for many families to recover. But the Parrish name lives on, as dozens of descendants of Crawford Parrish still call the area home and are active in local government, churches rural health and civic associations.

Parrish (from historical marker in front of old school house located on US301 in middle of village) The first documented settlers in present-day Parrish in early part of 1850 were William B Hooker and William H Johnson. Here they found the ideal climate, fertile soil and a nearby river, all suitable for establishing a plantation for their ill-fated joint venture in growing sea island cotton. After the partnership was dissolved, Major William Iredell Turner acquired Hooker’s plantation in 1867 and named it “Oak Hill” Among the other earlier settlers were Crawford and Mary Bratcher (Vanzandt) Parrish. When the post office opened, the name was changed to “Parrish”. The railroad provided mail and travel service by 1902. Parrish became a thriving community depending upon a citrus, cattle and agriculture economy. There’s a grove here over 100 years old still bearing. Area had 3 packing houses, 3 or more churches, 2 boarding houses, blacksmith shop and many stores. At turn of century, the Methodist Church served as a school. Crawford P Parrish gave land for the first schoolhouse. It was removed and replaced wth the present building in 1924. Judah P Benjamin, Confederate Secretary of State, in his 1865 escape from Richmond, was securely hidden in a swamp behind Major Turner’s house for several days before he was transported to Gamble Mansion.



Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address