Commune of Penmarch
Lighthouses on the Pointe de Penmarc'h
|Intercommunality||Pays Bigouden Sud|
|Elevation||-1–23 m (−3.3–75 ft)|
|Land area1||16.39 km2 (6.33 sq mi)|
|- Density||359 /km2 (930 /sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||29158/ 29760|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
|2 Population sans doubles comptes: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.|
It lies 18 km SW of Quimper by road.
On the extremity of the peninsula on which it is situated are fortified remains of a town which was of considerable importance from the 14th to the 16th centuries and included, besides Penmarc'h, Saint-Guénolé and Kerity. It owed its prosperity to its cod-banks, the disappearance of which together with the discovery of the Newfoundland cod-banks and the pillage of the place by the bandit La Fontenelle in 1595 contributed to its decline.
The church of St. Nouna, a Gothic building of the early 16th century at Penmarc'h, and the church of St. Guénolé, an unfinished tower, and the church of Kerity are of interest. The coast is very dangerous. On the Pointe de Penmarc'h stands the Phare d'Eckmuhl, with a light visible for 60 miles. There are numerous megalithic monuments in the vicinity.
Inhabitants of Penmarc'h are called Penmarchais. It has a larger population than Guilvinec.