The Full Wiki

Pershore Abbey: Wikis


Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pershore Abbey
Pershore Abbey
Pershore Abbey

Denomination Church of England
Churchmanship Broad Church
Dedication Holy Cross
Parish Pershore
Diocese Worcester
Province Canterbury
Vicar(s) Revd Kenneth Crawford

Pershore Abbey, at Pershore in Worcestershire, was an Anglo-Saxon abbey and is now an Anglican parish church.



Between AD 681 and 689, King Æthelred of Mercia gave estates at Pershore to the Bishop of Worcester for the purposes of establishing a monastery. A monastic community was established at Pershore by 689.

The Abbey came under the Benedictine rule in about the 10th century. It was originally dedicated to Saint Mary the Virgin, Saint Peter and Saint Paul, and later to Saint Mary and Saint Eadburga. The main building was begun in about 1100. The abbey was dissolved in 1539. A monk of Pershore, named Richard Beerely, was one of those who gave evidence to Thomas Cromwell about the misbehaviour of some of his brothers, writing that "Monckes drynk an bowll after collacyon tell ten or xii of the clock, and cum to mattens as dronck as myss, and sume at cardes, sume at dyss."

The abbey church remained in use as a parish church. When the north transept collapsed in 1686, a wall was built in its place. Further alterations were carried out, including a restoration by George Gilbert Scott in 1852.

In 1913, two western buttresses were added to replace the support from the missing portion of the building.

Current structure and features

The church as it now stands represents only a small portion of the original building.

Pershore Abbey has a 25 cwt ring of eight bells. The ringing room is a metal 'cage' suspended high above the chancel crossing; it is accessed by means of two stone spiral staircases, a walkway through the roof, a squeeze through a narrow passage and a see-through iron staircase.


A three manual organ built by Nicholson of Malvern in 1872, was removed several years ago and replaced with a Bradford electronic organ. There are currently no plans to re-install a pipe organ at Pershore Abbey. The Nicholson was restored twice by J. W. Walker & Sons Ltd in 1940 and 1971. A specification of the organ can be found on the National Pipe Organ Register.


List of Organists and Masters of Music

  • Charles Tovey
  • Edred Martin Chaundy 1898–1899 (formerly of Enniskillen Parish Church, afterwards Holy Trinity Church, Stroud and Armagh Cathedral)
  • Frank Alfred Charles Mason 1900–ca.1921[1]
  • Rodney Clifford Baldwyn 1951–1981
  • Ian Gerrard 1993–2003
  • Sheila Joynes 2003–2004
  • Mike Pegg 2004–2005
  • David Barclay 2005–2007
  • Alex Crawford 2007–2008
  • Mike Pegg 2009–



  1. ^ Dictionary of Organs and Organists, Second Edition. 1921.

External links

Coordinates: 52°06′38″N 02°04′40″W / 52.11056°N 2.07778°W / 52.11056; -2.07778


Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address