Phi Sigma Pi: Wikis

  
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity
(ΦΣΠ)
The official crest of Phi Sigma Pi.
Founded February 14, 1916
University of Central Missouri
Type Honor
Scope National
 USA
Motto
Discover your potential. Learn. Inspire. Lead.
Colors Purple and Gold
Philanthropy Teach For America
Chapters 109
Members ca. 30,000 collegiate
Tripod of Ideals
Scholarship,
Leadership, and

Fellowship
Headquarters 2119 Ambassador Circle
Lancaster, PA, USA
Homepage Phi Sigma Pi website

Phi Sigma Pi (ΦΣΠ) is a national coeducational honor fraternity based in the United States. The fraternity is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization incorporated in the state of Pennsylvania, with the purpose of fostering the ideals of scholarship, leadership and fellowship. Phi Sigma Pi is organized into approximately one hundred collegiate chapters at four-year collegiate institutions and several regionally established alumni chapters and associations serving a membership of approximately 30,000. Although collegiate chapters may fall under the purview of university student governing bodies, Phi Sigma Pi maintains no affiliation with the North-American Interfraternity Conference.

Contents

Membership

Membership in Phi Sigma Pi is open to students at four-year collegiate institutions who have earned a 3.00 cumulative grade point average (on a 4.00 scale, where 4.00 is equivalent to a grade of "A") for at least one semester or quarter of collegiate work.

History

Phi Sigma Pi was founded at State Teachers College at Warrensburg - now known as University of Central Missouri - on February 14, 1916, by E.L. Hendricks, C.A. Phillips, and C.H. McClure. The fraternity became national in 1921 when a second chapter was founded at Bradley University in Peoria, Illinois. The fraternity has since evolved from an honorary professional fraternity to a professional education fraternity, and then, in 1966, to an honor fraternity for all disciplines. Phi Sigma Pi became coeducational in 1977.

Of What Was To Come

The Missouri Beta Chapter of Phi Lambda Epsilon, a fraternity founded in 1892 with chapters located on normal and high school campuses, was organized in 1894 as the first fraternity on the campus of the State Teacher's College at Warrensburg, Missouri. In 1914, when the faculty of Warrensburg investigated Phi Lambda Epsilon and found that it only emphasized the social side of college life, the chapter was disbanded.

During the 1914-1915 school year, a group of students who had been members of Phi Lambda Epsilon, and a group of other male students attending the college, collectively went before the faculty with the idea of a new fraternity.

The faculty at first disapproved of a new fraternity on campus. The support of President Eldo L. Hendricks, Dean Claude A. Phillips, and Professor C. H. McClure led the faculty to approve the establishment of a new fraternity on campus. Each of these men had been a member of Phi Delta Kappa, an education fraternity that operated in larger universities and colleges with graduate departments of education.

Phi Sigma Pi Was Born

Hendricks, Phillips and McClure contacted Phi Beta Kappa, an established honor society, and requested permission to establish a chapter. Phi Beta Kappa advised that chapters could only be established on campuses of qualified liberal arts colleges and universities, not on campuses of teacher’s colleges, teacher training schools, or normal schools.

The three then contacted Omicron Delta Kappa, a leadership honor society. Omicron Delta Kappa had the same requirements for chapter establishment as Phi Beta Kappa; therefore Warrensburg could not have a chapter.

The three then contacted nationally recognized social fraternities stressing fellowship. They received the same answer.

Hendricks, Phillips and McClure concluded that if no fraternal organization would recognize students at Warrensburg then they would create a new and unique fraternal organization. This new fraternity would be built on a tripod that equally stressed the three qualities of scholarship, leadership and fellowship. On February 14, 1916 Phi Sigma Pi was founded and officially named “Phi Sigma Pi Honorary Professional Fraternity”.

Dr. Hendricks was the first person to sign a Phi Sigma Pi rollbook and is therefore known as “Alpha 1”. Dean Phillips' and Professor McClure's signatures follow Hendricks’. Together, Hendricks, Phillips and McClure are known as the founding fathers of the fraternity.

The first chapter also consisted of ten undergraduate and honorary members: Fred Thayer, J. A. Leach, R. W. Grinstead, Ray F. Pankins, Wade C. Fowler, Roy G. Bigelow, Arthur Kresse, John A. Doak, Harold Patterson, and Harry Hill. In the next year the chapter inducted twelve new members.

Mission

In carrying out the purpose of the National Fraternity, Phi Sigma Pi shall strive to personify and encourage three ideals:

  • The acquisition and dissemination of information and knowledge through scholarship,
  • The application of professional skills and the fostering of leadership qualities by promoting and advancing the welfare of humanity, and
  • The fostering of non-discriminatory, fraternal fellowship within Phi Sigma Pi's ranks.

These three goals are known by members as "The Tripod". These ideals are most often referred to in their abbreviated form: Scholarship, Leadership, and Fellowship.

National vision

Phi Sigma Pi aspires to be the leader in the fraternity world, as evidenced by:

  • international chapter representation;
  • nationwide name recognition;
  • world class member education and services;
  • quality lifelong contacts and continued opportunities for member participation;
  • a nationwide network of employers and associations;
  • pioneering efforts in fraternity marketing, advertising, recruiting,communication, and mass media;
  • a persistence in fostering the integrity of Phi Sigma Pi;
  • a continued commitment to the ideals of scholarship, leadership, and fellowship through training and participating in supporting events.

Philanthropy

The national philanthropy of Phi Sigma Pi is Teach For America [1]. Teach For America is the national corps of outstanding recent college graduates who commit two years to teach in urban and rural public schools. Their mission is to build the movement to eliminate educational inequity.

Scholarships

The Richard Cecil Todd and Clauda Pennock Todd Tripod Scholarship

In September 1991, Dr. and Mrs. Richard Todd established the Richard Cecil Todd and Clauda Pennock Todd Tripod Scholarship to promote the future academic opportunity of Phi Sigma Pi brothers who have excelled in embodying the ideals of scholarship, leadership, and fellowship. While both Dr. and Mrs. Todd had died in the 1990s, their memory and innumerable contribution to both Phi Sigma Pi and education will not be forgotten. Eligibility for the Todd Tripod Scholarship is available to all active undergraduate members of Phi Sigma Pi who meet the criteria outlined in the scholarship's charter and award criteria. For the past several years chapter members have been contributing to the Todd Tripod Scholarship. One example of this generosity is through the "Miles for Todd" campaign. Grand Chapter Conference Delegates have been donating their chapter's mileage reimbursement to have the scholarship to flourish.

Year   Name Chapter
1993 David Batts Tau
1994 Amanda Hines Tau
1995 Adam Feinberg Alpha Beta
1996 Mari Morimoto Beta Nu
1997 Nicole Gray
David Rosengrant
Tau
Alpha Omega
1998 Mandy Younger Gamma Xi
1999 Anthony Teasdale Beta Omicron
2000 Tabitha O’Connor Alpha Chi
2001 David Newton Gamma Upsilon
2002 Mandy Large Upsilon
2003 Meghan Shannon Sigma
2004 Brittany Bodart Tau
2005 Erik Walschburger Alpha Lambda
2006 Dennis Yoon Beta Eta
2007 Stephanie Glinn Alpha
2008 Mary Jeannette "Jet" Aiken Alpha Sigma
2009 Emily Naser-Hall
Lauren Anderson
Gamma Tau
Gamma Tau

Rolla F. Wood Graduate Scholarship

In 1928, Rolla F. Wood became national president, and with his tenure came changes to our brotherhood. Wood made the National Council a more cohesive unit and helped increase expansion. The fraternity grew from four chapters to seven during his presidential term.

Following his successful term Wood exemplified true brotherly dedication in ways many don’t—he continued to serve. He went on to volunteer as part of council for the next six years as vice-president of chapter development (formerly national counselor) for a year, senior vice-president for a year and historian from 1931 through 1935. During his years on council, his push for expansion resulted in a total of 14 new chapters joining the original four.

Wood, a brother at Alpha chapter, attended graduate school at Vanderbilt University, where he founded Epsilon Chapter. In honor of Wood’s national contributions, dedication and continued pursuit of knowledge, the fraternity now has its graduate scholarship named for him.

Year   Name Chapter
2005 John L. Chen Delta Omega
2006 Kathaline Razzano Alpha Beta
2007 Meghan Sidelnick Sigma
2008 Marie Hayden Gamma Pi
2009 Natalie Swierzbin Gamma Epsilon

Collegiate Chapters

List of collegiate chapters

Alumni Chapters/Alumni Associations

  • Delaware Valley Alumni Chapter (DVAC)- Philadelphia, South NJ and Northern Delaware
  • New York Metropolitan Area Alumni Chapter (NYMAAC)
  • Capital Chapter - Washington D.C. and surrounding region
  • Central Pennsylvania Alumni Association
  • Atlanta Area Alumni Association
  • Bay Area Alumni Association
  • Greater Boston Alumni Association
  • Central Florida Alumni Association
  • Metro Richmond Alumni Association
  • Columbus Area Alumni Association

Publications

"Purple and Gold" collegiate magazine and "The Lampadion" alumni magazine.

National headquarters

The fraternity's national office is located in Lancaster, PA.

External links








Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message