The Full Wiki

Philip Hardwick: Wikis

Advertisements
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Euston Arch, circa 1896

Philip Hardwick (15 June 1792 - 28 December 1870) was an eminent English architect, particularly associated with railway stations and warehouses in London and elsewhere. Hardwick is probably best known for London's demolished Euston Arch.

Contents

Career

Hardwick was born at 9 Rathbone Place (since demolished) in Westminster London and trained as an architect under his father, Thomas Hardwick (junior) (1752-1829), who was in turn the son of architect Thomas Hardwick Senior (1725-1798). The Hardwick name is famous in British architecture, spanning over 150 years of work. In 1760, Thomas Senior had become a master mason at Syon House for the brothers Robert and John Adam.

Philip Hardwick entered the Royal Academy Schools in 1808 and then studied in France and Italy from 1815 to 1819. After traveling Europe, Philip Hardwick took over from his father as Surveyor to St Bartholomew's Hospital, London. This post later passed on to Philip's son - Philip Charles Hardwick, meaning that three successive Hardwick generations held the post. Hardwick gained a reputation as a surveyor and was employed by the Westminster Bridge estates, the Portman London estate, Greenwich Hospital, and to Lord Salisbury's estate (1829-1835). He was also surveyor to the Portman London estate, to Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (from 1842) and assisted Sir Francis Smith in designing Wellington Barracks next to Buckingham Palace in 1833.

In 1831 his father in law, architect John Shaw Senior, helped elect Hardwick as a fellow of the Royal Society. Hardwick was a founding member of the Institute of British Architects (1834) - later (1837) the RIBA - and was a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers. In 1839 he was one of the judges for the then-new Royal Exchange building in the City of London, and was then appointed to select the design for the Oxford Museum in 1854.

In 1854 he received the seventh Royal Gold Medal for architecture.

Family and Pupils

Philip married Julia Shaw in 1819, in St James's Church, Piccadilly. Julia was daughter of the architect John Shaw Sr. (1776-1832), and Hardwick's brother-in-law was the architect John Shaw Jr (1803-1870). The two families lived close by within the boroughs of Westminster and Holborn and were among the finest architectural families London has ever produced (rivaled by the Charles Barry and Dance dynasties).

Hardwick's only son Philip Charles Hardwick was born in 1822. Just as his father had trained him, Philip Hardwick trained his son, who began working in the firm around 1843.

Gothic architect John Loughborough Pearson studied under Philip Hardwick before setting up his own practice in 1843 and designing many notable cathedral buildings, including that at Truro. Thomas Henry Wyatt (1807-1880) and Charles Locke Eastlake (1836-1906) were also pupils.

Hardwick's friendship and loyalty to the artist J.M.W. Turner (1775-1851) had been a continuation from his father who had been tutor to Turner. Philip remained a close friend with the artist, and in 1851 Turner chose Hardwick as an executor to his will.

Hardwick and much of his extended family lay buried at Kensal Green Cemetery.

Euston Arch

see main article Euston Arch

Hardwick's best-known work is likely the 1837 'Propylaeum' or Doric Euston Arch at the old Euston station, designed for the London and Birmingham Railway at the cost of £35,000. Like Inigo Jones some 200 years earlier, Hardwick had been inspired by Italian architecture, following a trip to Italy in 1818-19.

Euston was London's first railway station. At the Birmingham terminus, Hardwick also designed the Birmingham Curzon Street Station (1838).

Despite the efforts of John Betjeman and other conservationists, the Euston Arch was demolished in the early 1960s. The gates of the arch are stored at the National Railway Museum in York. In 1994 the historian Dan Cruickshank discovered 4,000 tons, or about 60%, of the arch's stones buried in the bed of the River Lea in the East End of London, including the architrave stones with the gilded EUSTON lettering. This discovery has opened the possibility of a reconstruction of the arch.

Other projects

warehouses at the Albert Dock, Liverpool

Images

External links

Advertisements

Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message