The Full Wiki

Philippeville: Wikis

Advertisements
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Philippeville
Phillippeville JPG00.jpg
Municipal flag
Flag
Coat of arms
Coat of arms
Location of Philippeville in the province of Namur
Location of Philippeville in the province of Namur
Philippeville is located in Belgium
Philippeville
Location in Belgium
Sovereign state Belgium Belgium
Region  Wallonia
Community Wallonia French Community
Province  Namur
Arrondissement Philippeville
Coordinates 50°12′0″N 04°33′0″E / 50.2°N 4.55°E / 50.2; 4.55Coordinates: 50°12′0″N 04°33′0″E / 50.2°N 4.55°E / 50.2; 4.55
Area 156.71 km²
Population
– Males
– Females
Density
8,320 (2006-01-01)
49.38%
50.63%
53 inhab./km²
Unemployment rate 18.22% (1 January 2006)
Mean annual income €10,856/pers. (2003)
Mayor Jacques Rousselle (PS)
Governing parties PS, IC-cdH
Postal codes 5600
Area codes 071
Website www.philippeville.be

Philippeville is a Walloon municipality located in Belgium in the province of Namur. The Philippeville municipality includes the old communes of Fagnolle, Franchimont, Jamagne, Jamiolle, Merlemont, Neuville, Omezée, Roly, Romedenne, Samart, Sart-en-Fagne, Sautour, Surice, Villers-en-Fagne, Villers-le-Gambon, and Vodecée.

Contents

History

Advertisements

The foundation of Philippeville

At the beginning of the 16th century, the Philippeville region was on the boundary between Charles V’s Burgundian Netherlands and Francis I’s France. Fighting around Philippeville did not start, however, until 1554, after Henry II had succeeded his father on the throne. This area was ideal for an attack as it was covered with forests, sparsely populated and divided among the County of Hainaut, that of Namur, by now part of Burgundy, and the Bishopric of Liège. The medieval forts in the area were taken and pillaged one after the other. The fortress of Mariembourg, close to Couvin, and the town of Givet soon fell to the French. In 1555, Charles V’s new commander, William the Silent, established a new fort in the village of Echerennes, a village known since the 800s. He garrisoned his troops there as soon as the fort was completed, barely four months after the start of construction. In 1556, Charles V named his new fortress Philippeville in honour of his son, Philip II of Spain, who would succeed him in the Netherlands – and on the city – the following year.

From 1557 until now

In 1659, the Treaty of the Pyrenees stopped the Thirty Years’ War and most frontier cities became French, until Napoleon’s defeat at Waterloo and the Treaty of Paris (1815). There was then a brief Dutch interlude until the Belgian Revolution in 1830. The Philippeville defensive walls were dismantled in 1856 and have been replaced by the wide boulevards that circle the city today.

Philippeville: the main square

Sights

  • Ten kilometers of underground passages dating from the foundation of the city can still be explored under Philippeville. Some sections are open to tourists.

Born in Philippeville

  • Jérôme-Joseph de Momigny, a noted composer and musicologist of the classical/romantic period, was born here on 20 January 1762.

Twin cities

External links


1911 encyclopedia

Up to date as of January 14, 2010

From LoveToKnow 1911

PHILIPPEVILLE, a seaport of Algeria, chief town of an arrondissement in the department of Constantine, and 54 m. N. by E. of that city, on the Bay of Stora, in 36° 53' N. 6° 54' E. It is connected by railway with Constantine, Batna and Biskra. The town derives its importance from being the port of Constantine. The harbour works, with every vessel in port, having been destroyed by a storm in 1878, a more commodious harbour was built, at a cost of about £1,200,000. From Cape Skikda, on the east a mole or breakwater projects 4592 ft. to the W.N.W., while from Château Vert on the west another mole runs out 1312 ft. to the north, leaving an entrance to the port about 656 ft. wide. The protected area comprises an outer and an inner basin. The depth of water at the entrance is about 33 ft., alongside the quays about 20 ft. The quays are faced with blocks of white marble brought from the quarries at Filfila, 16 m. distant. Pop. (1906), of the town 16,539, of the commune 26,050,26,050, of the arrondissement, which includes 12 communes, 147,607.

Philippeville occupies the site of successive Phoenician and Roman cities. By the Romans, under whom it attained a high state of prosperity, it was named Rusicada. In the middle ages the town ceased to be inhabited. The site was purchased from the Arabs by Marshal Valee in 1838 for £6. Some parts of the Roman theatre remain, but the stones of the amphitheatre, which stood without the walls of the modern town, and which the French found in an almost perfect state of preservation, were used by them for building purposes, and the railway was cut through the site. On a hill above the town are the Roman reservoirs, which have been restored and still supply the town with water. They are fed by a canal from the Wadi Beni Meleh. The Roman baths, in the centre of the modern town, serve as cellars for military stores.


<< Philippa Of Hainaut

Philippi >>


Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message