The Full Wiki

More info on Pontypool, Ontario

Pontypool, Ontario: Wikis

Advertisements
  
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pontypool is an unincorporated village within the southernmost part of the amalgamated city of Kawartha Lakes, Ontario.

Prior to amalgamation, Pontypool was an unincorporated village within the township of Manvers, in the county of Victoria.

It has a foodmart, LCBO, Chinese/Pizza Restaurant, gas station (destroyed by fire in April 2008[1] and not yet rebuilt), community centre, church and post office and a siding on the Canadian Pacific Railway. The town used to be an old Jewish vacation spot with a big camp ground by the big pond on the outskirts of town.

Its post office services locals with lock boxes and 3 rural routes.

History

Pontypool, as the youngest of settlement in the township, was the last to develop, although people were farming in the area since before the first census of 1835. Settlers James Leigh and John Jennings are credited with starting the community and naming it after a town in their homeland, Pontypool, Wales. Lore has it that the fact that there were five distinct pools fed by nearby streams in the immediate vicinity of the settlement may have influenced their decision in naming the village. Although it is unknown exactly what year sawing operations began it is known that by 1865 one mill was in operation, James Leigh (moved into the area in 1853) being the sawyer, and also working the mill was James Jennings.

In about 1872, Simon Jennings, son of James Jennings, opened a general store and took over the saw mill. It was in this store that a Post Office was installed in 1881, with Simon Jennings as the villages' first Postmaster.

At this time the small settlement was still being called Jennings' Mills, even though the official postal name Pontypool had been adopted.

Pontypool began its real climb into village status when the Canadian Pacific Railway laid a railway line west to east across the township, linking with Burkton Stn in the west to Millbrook in the east. The line was constructed in the late 1890s and provided a direct line to Toronto for local produce, cattle, and grain. In fact, grain was such an important part of life to the inhabitants that an elevator still stands today as a landmark to the importance of this commodity.

NOTE: The Pontypool Grain Elevator is only one of three of its kind extant in Ontario at present and is the best state of preservation. By 1892 the population of Pontypool had risen to 600 people. By 1917 the economy of the town consisted of: a Hotel, two agricultural implements shops, three general merchants, a livery stable, shoe maker, blacksmith, hardware store, bakery, grocery/butcher, Pontypool Telephone, Light and Power Co-operative.

In 2008, Bruce McDonald directed an eponymous horror movie set in the town.

  1. ^ Fire Destroys Pontypool Auto Garage, Lindsay Post.

Coordinates: 44°06′N 78°38′W / 44.1°N 78.633°W / 44.1; -78.633

Advertisements

Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message