|Time zone||IST (UTC+05:30)|
footnotes = www.pratapgarh.nic.in footnotes =]
Pratapgarh (Hindi: प्रतापगढ़, Urdu: پرتاپ گڑھ) also called Bela, Bela Pratapgarh, Partapgarh or Partabgarh, is a city and nagar panchayat of Uttar Pradesh, India. It is the administrative headquarters of Pratapgarh District.
The District that forms a part of Faizabad Division is named after its headquarters town Bela Pratapgarh, commonly known as Pratapgarh. Pratap Singh, a raja of the locality who flourished between 1628-1682, fixed his headquarters at Rampur near old town of Aror. There he built a garh (fort) and called it Pratabgarh after his own name. Subsequently the locality around the fort came to be known as Pratapgarh. When the district was constituted in 1858 its headquarters was established at Bela which came to be known as Bela Pratapgarh, the name Bela presumably being derived from the temple of Bela Bhawani on the bank of river Sai. It is popularly known among the masses as "Bela Mai" - meaning mother goddess bela. Most popular historical shiv ling temple bhayaharan nath dham katra gulab sing, Pratapgarh.
The city is named for Pratap Singh (1628-1682), ruler of Rampur, who built a fortress (garh) on the site of the present town, and named it after himself. The district was constituted by the British in 1858, and the headquarters was established at Bela, which came to be known as Bela Pratapgarh, or simply Pratapgarh.
The District lies between the paralleles of 25o34' and 26o11' north latitude and between the meridians of 81o19' and 82o27' east longitude extending for some 110 km. from west to east. It is bounded on the north by district Sultanpur,on the south by district Allahabad,on the east by district Jaunpur and on the west by Fatehpur and north-east by district Rae Bareli. In the south-west the Ganga forms the boundary of the district for about 50 km. Separating it from Fatehpur and Allahabad and in the extreme north-east the Gomti forms the boundary for about 6 km.
According to The Central Statistical Organization, India, the district has an area of 3,730 km2.
As of 2001 India census, Pratapgarh City had a population of 12,339. Males constitute 52% of the population and females 48%. Pratapgarh City has an average literacy rate of 52%, lower than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 62%, and female literacy is 40%. In Pratapgarh City, 18% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Pratapgarh is famous for "Amla" - a citrus fruit rich in Vitamin-C. The district mostly relies on agriculture. The soil is fertile and irrigated in most parts of the district. There used to be an agricultural Automobile company - Auto Tractors Limited, set up Govt of Uttar Pradesh with technical collaboration with British Leyland. It was closed abruptly during the period of "Mulayam Singh" govt on account of heavy losses incurred during last 2-3 years, without doing any root cause analysis and making any attempt to revive it. It was a futile attempt to put district on the industrial map of India. Now it is in ruins.
Sanskaar Shree, In Sanskar Bhavan, Kutchey Road, Civil Lines, Pratapgarh
Kishori Sweets and Restaurants, Chowk Pratapgarh
Hotel Sneh, Babaganj Pratapgarh
Hotel Vivek and Anuradha, near Railway Station, Pratapgarh /≥
Hotel Siddharth NH-96 (Allahabad Faizabad Road) Babaganj, Pratapgarh /≤
On the fateful day of 4th march 2010, at an ashram called "Bhakti dham" an estimated 63 people were killed when a gate collapsed triggering panic among the 15,000-strong crowd that had converged for a ritual.
Over 100 persons were injured, 28 of them seriously, in the tragedy that occurred when poor farmers and villagers had gathered to receive food and clothes from Kripalu Maharaj’s ashram at Kunda.