The Full Wiki

Queen's College, Nassau: Wikis

Advertisements
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Queen's College, also known as 'Q.C', is amongst the most prestigious and elite independent, co-educational institutions in The Bahamas. Founded in 1890, Queen's College is the oldest private school in the Bahamas and boasts a rather rich and diverse history. It has an extensive list of former students including many local Politicians (Members of Parliament), Clergymen, Professionals and other leaders within The Bahamas.

Located in Nassau, Queen's College operates under the auspices of The Bahamas Conference of the Methodist Church and consists of three sections - The Early Learning Centre, The Primary School and The High school.

Queen's College can be described as one of the leading pre-tertiary educational institutions in The Bahamas, which prides itself on the cultivation of academic excellence. The school's forward thinking and progressive nature may be seen through its rigorous Advanced Placement Courses, A+ Certification, Advanced Subsidiary AS courses and SAT II courses. Other advanced educational opportunities and avenues provided include the MOUS (Microsoft Office User Specialist Certification). Queen's College is not only known for its educational prowess but its adeptness in the sporting arena also.

The "QC Comets" have managed to win a number of sports awards throughout its history, most notably in basketball, volleyball, swimming, track & field and soccer. In recent years, Queen's College has set its sights on the BAISS (Bahamas Association of Independent Secondary Schools) Track and Field Championship, significantly reducing the lead of its sporting rivals and managed to place 2nd for the past few years.

The school's motto is Henceforth. It's mission "as a premier educational institution, is to work collaboratively with parents, families, the Church and Government to inculcate in our students enduring moral and ethical values, spiritual discipline grounded in the teachings of Jesus Christ and sense of personal social responsibility."

Contents

History

The History of Queens College

Legendary Past, Glorious Future

Queen’s College, the oldest private school in the Bahamas, operates as a grant-aided institution under the auspices of the Bahamas Conference of the Methodist Church.

The school’s history began in 1870, when the Reverend Henry Bleby, Chairman of the Methodist Church of the Bahamas proposed to the Methodist Missionary Society in London that a Methodist school be established here. He noted that several members of the Trinity congregation had expressed interest in establishing “a superior kind of educational institution for boys and girls with a Methodist Minister as Principal”. As a result, the Reverend George Terry was appointed principal and The Bahamas Wesleyan Propriety Institution opened its doors on January 2, 1871.

In 1879, the Reverend Francis Moon replaced the Reverend Bleby and in 1884 the Methodist Synod appointed a committee made up of all Methodist Ministers and ten laymen for the purpose of setting the school on a firmer foundation.

On June 21 1887 the foundation stone of Victoria Hall, named in celebration of Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee, was laid on property purchased between Frederick and Charlotte Streets, and on January 13, 1890, under the name Queen’s College, the school opened its doors.

From 1890 to 1925 the school continued to prosper under the guidance of Mr. S.B. Wilson, M.A. and his successors. Then, in 1925, the Rev. R.P. Dyer, M.B.E., M.A., took up the appointment as Headmaster and it is he who made Queen’s College the school it is today. He began to groom students for the day they could move into positions of leadership and it was Rev. Dyer who urged Charles Sweeting into education, predicting, in 1957, that he would one day be the first Bahamian principal of the school. Rev. Dyer remained as Headmaster until his retirement in 1959. Upon his death in 1961, he was buried in the churchyard of Ebenezer Church, Shirley Street.

The Rev. Dyer was succeeded by Rev. Geoffrey Litherland (1959 – 1964), Rev. Neville Stewart (1964 – 1971) and Mr. Hayden Middleton (1971 – 1979), each of whom made outstanding contributions to the development of Queen’s College during their tenures.

The first Bahamian administrator of Queen’s College, Mrs. Yvonne Noronha, was appointed Vice Principal of the College and Headmistress of the Primary School in 1978. This was closely followed by the appointment of Rev. Charles Sweeting in 1979, the first old scholar and first Bahamian to be appointed Principal. Reverend Sweeting served as Principal until 1993. Vice Principal Mr. Philip Cash was appointed Principal in 1993 and served the school until his death in June 1997. In November 1997 Miss Andrea Gibson, the first female and third former scholar to serve the school, was appointed Principal. Mrs. Virginia Minnis was appointed Head of the Early Learning Centre in September 1999 and is the first Bahamian to serve in this post.

Mr. Alexander Roberts served as Vice Principal/Head of High School from 1987 until 2000. Mrs. Shawn Turnquest, another old scholar, became the first female Vice Principal/Head of High School in September 2002. Mrs. Yvonne Foulkes succeeded Mrs. Noronha was Vice Principal/Head of the Primary School in September 2002. Also in September 2002, Mrs. Sylvia Beneby was appointed as Deputy Head of the Primary School, and Mrs. Heather Wood and Mr. Henry Knowles were appointed Deputy Heads of the High School

By the late 1960’s, the school had grown to over two thousand students. One hundred of these students came in as boarders from the Family Islands. In 1975, “The Out Island Hostel” was closed as a result of the Government withdrawing a subsidy that had been given. By 1975, Government had opened high schools on all major islands. Following this, the school made a conscious decision to reduce its enrollment, as with greater personal contact with the students, there are fewer discipline problems. In 1990, as part of the Centennial Celebrations, a Centre for Further Education (C.F.E.) was begun.

School Symbols

'Henceforth!' - Motto

In a sermon given at a Thanksgiving Service, held during the Golden Jubilee, on June 16, 1940, Rev. R. P. Dyer, Headmaster of the school, used as his text, “Hitherto hath the Lord helped us’. This led him to speak of the motto of our school, ‘Henceforth’. He explained that it originated from the English meaning of the French word ‘Desormais’, which had served as an inspiration to higher efforts to a boy in Africa. It was adopted as the motto of Queen’s College in the hope that it would also help our scholars.

Other school mottos include: "Peace Begins with me" & "Excellence Lives Here"

Administration

Queen's College Administration can be seen as the driving force behind the spirit and excellence of the school. It is the administration of the school that motivates the students to strive for the excellence on which the school thrives.

'Principal' Andrea Gibson

Early Learning Centre Administration

Mrs. Virginia Minnis - Head of Section

Primary School Administration

Yvonne Foulkes - Vice Principal, Head of Primary School

Sylvia Beneby - Deputy Head

Angela Culmer - Primary School Curriculum Coordinator

Antja Humes - Early Years Curriculum Coordinator

High School Administration

Shawn Turnquest, Vice Principal - Head of High School

Clint Higgs, Deputy Head - Administration

Maria Tsavoussis, Deputy Head - Curriculum & Instruction

House system

Queen's College has four houses: Dyer, Heath, King and Rogers. Currently, this system is used primarily for sporting events and as a merit system up to the High School level, where it is then used to place students into Home Room classes, which students remain in until graduation. This system garners a sense of family and encourages a bond between students throughout their educational careers at Queen's College.

For most of its existence, Queen’s College students have been allocated into houses in order to encourage a spirit of competition in all forms of sports as well as achievement and effort. Originally, the system was limited to students in the High School but in later years, the Primary School students were placed in houses as well so that it is possible for students to identify with one house and one colour for their school life from Grade One through to Graduation. It is not unusual to find children of former students in the same house as their parent.

The House system began in 1929 when students were assigned into one of two teams, Gold and Blue, for sports only. In 1932, these two teams were disbanded in favour of Columbus, Heath and Rogers. Columbus House, however, remained in existence for only two years.

The two Houses still in existence, derive their names from two prominent figures in Bahamian History: Sir Robert Heath received the first Proprietary Grant of the Bahama Islands in 1629, and Woodes Rogers was appointed first Royal Governor of the Colony in 1718. Heath House has always been identified by the colour red, and Rogers by the colour green.

After, the large scale expansion of the school in the 1960’s, a need was felt for an expanded House System. As a result, in 1964, Dyer House was formed and named after the Rev. R. P. Dyer, Headmaster of Queen’s College, 1925-1959. It adopted blue as its distinguishing colour.

In 1968, further expansion generated the need for an additional house, and King House was introduced. It was named after Martin Luther King, the American Civil Rights leader, who had been assassinated the previous year. Originally, it was identified by the colour maroon, but this was subsequently changed to yellow.

In the Primary School, the House System was originally named after Bahamian fish, when introduced around 1965. These were known as Barracuda, Dolphin, Marlin and Wahoo, with the colours, respectively, green, blue, yellow and red. In 1980, the names were changed in order to coincide with those in the High School.

House House Colour
Dyer
Heath
King
Rogers

Extra-Curricular Activities

At Queen's College, there are dozens of extra-curricular opportunities and societies made available to students so as to encourage their overall development. Over the years, as a result of these societies, the lives of many have been touched throughout the Bahamian community. Some of these clubs and societies include:

Through Queen's College's rigorous extra-curricular involvement students have become involved with organizations such as [[REACH]] (Resources and Education for Autism and Related Challenges), The AIDS Foundation of The Bahamas, The Special Olympics Committee of The Bahamas and others.

Through this outreach into the community, students have assisted in raising awareness on many issues and raising funds for many people (including Hurricane Victims).

There is a bunch of butter slider curbs, for you skateboarders. get your rick on, son.

Notable alumni

External links

Advertisements

Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message