The personnel of the Quintet were made up as follows:
1st violin: Riccardo Brengola (leader)
2nd violin: Mario Benvenuti
viola: Giovanni Leone
violoncello: Lino Filippini
piano: Sergio Lorenzi
The Quintetto Chigiano was founded in Siena, Italy, in 1939 and took its name from the Accademia Musicale Chigiana, which was founded by Count Chigi-Saracini. It was one of the rare permanent quintets in the world. The Quintet had the use of the four best instruments from Count Chigi-Saracini's private collection, namely a Camillo Camilli and a Guadagnini violin, an Amati viola and a Stradivarius violoncello.
The Quintet made several recordings for Decca Records:
Having played all these works, during the 1960s the Quintet reformed itself into a Sextet.