The Full Wiki

RAF Wyton: Wikis

  
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RAF Wyton
Entrance to RAF Wyton - geograph.org.uk - 262207.jpg
Entrance to RAF Wyton
IATA: QUYICAO: EGUY
Summary
Airport type Military
Operator Royal Air Force
Location St Ives, Cambridgeshire
Elevation AMSL 135 ft / 41 m
Coordinates 52°21′26″N 000°06′28″W / 52.35722°N 0.10778°W / 52.35722; -0.10778
Runways
Direction Length Surface
ft m
09/27 8,255 2,516 Asphalt
15/33 2,500 762 Asphalt

RAF Wyton (IATA: QUYICAO: EGUY) is a Royal Air Force station near St. Ives, Cambridgeshire, England.

In terms of organisation RAF Wyton is now part of the combined station RAF Brampton Wyton Henlow, a merger of Wyton with two previously separate bases, RAF Brampton and RAF Henlow. Wyton is the largest of the three. It is home to Equipment Support (Air) and Corporate Technical Services. The airfield is used for flying training by 57(R) Squadron EFT, the University Air Squadrons of London and Cambridge and No 5 Air Experience Flight.

Wyton has been a military airfield since 1916, when it was used for training by the Royal Flying Corps. In 1935 it was upgraded to contemporary standards. During World War II it was used primarily as a bomber base, flying Bristol Blenheim, de Havilland Mosquito and Avro Lancaster aircraft. In 1942 it became the home of the Pathfinder Force under the command of Group Captain Don Bennett.

After the war Wyton became home to the Strategic Reconnaissance Force, adding English Electric Canberra to the aircraft flown. Vickers Valiants, modified for reconnaissance, moved there in 1955 and a Handley Page Victor in 1959. Provision was made to store nuclear weapons if necessary.

The Victor belonged to a separate Radar Reconnaissance Flight (initially of one aircraft - rising to three by the time RRF was disbanded in 1962) to supplement the work of the Valiants of 543 Sqn. The Canberras of 58 Sqn were a mix of PR7 and PR 9s.

Also based at RAF Wyton were the T17 and T17A Canberras of 360 Sqn, the only joint RAF and RN Sqn specialising in ECM training. In the early 90's one of its pilots was Ft Lt Rory Underwood. Other residents at RAF Wyton were 100 Sqn with a mixture of Canberra types in the Targeting Role also resident but "never officially present" were the three Nimrod R1s belonging to 51 Sqn used in the Elint and Sigint role.

RAF Wyton hosts the annual Pathfinder March, a 46 mile walk which starts and finishes at RAF Wyton.

During the middle 1990's, RAF Wyton hosted an RAF-sponsored Microlight club. Boasting a small group of flex-wing microlight & 3 Axis aircraft, there was a thriving flight school with two instructors. Former Chief inspector of BMAA David Marshall & Training Instructor Pilot Paul Foggoa, The school was based in the old crash building - the original purpose of which was to house the crash-rescue fire engines. The success of the club, and the inclusion of non-RAF members, led to the club expanding to the corner of one of the large hangars.

Operational units

See also

External links








Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message