The Full Wiki

More info on Reader (academic rank)

Reader (academic rank): Wikis


Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The title of Reader in the United Kingdom and some universities in the Commonwealth nations like Australia and New Zealand, denotes an appointment for a senior academic with a distinguished international reputation in research or scholarship.

It is an academic rank above senior lecturer (or principal lecturer in the New Universities) and below Professor. However, an incompatibility of ranking systems between different (English speaking) countries, make the position of reader difficult to place outside the context of the United Kingdom. As a Professor normally holds a Chair in a particular field, a Reader could be seen as professor without chair, similar to the distinction between Professor ordinarius and Professor extraordinarius at some European Universities. In the United Kingdom, the promotion criteria applied to a Readership are similar to those applied to a Professorship.[1][2][3][4]



Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address