The Full Wiki

More info on Roma in the Republic of Macedonia

Roma in the Republic of Macedonia: Wikis

Advertisements
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Roma minority in Macedonia (census 2002)
Roma minority in Macedonia (census 2002)

The Roma constitute an ethnic group in the Republic of Macedonia. According to the last census from 2002, there were 53,879 persons counted as Roma, or 2.66% of the population. Another 3,843 persons have been counted as "Egyptians" (0.2%). Altogether, 2.85% Roma and Egyptians have been registered in Macedonia.

Another sources claim to be between 80,000[1] and 260,000[2] Roma in Macedonia or approximately 4 to 12% of the total population.

Municipality Šuto Orizari is the only municipality in the world with a Roma majority and the only municipality where Roma is official language. Due to the demographics, both Romani and Macedonian are official in Šuto Orizari, the municipality being officially bilingual. The mayor of the municipality, Erduan Iseini, is an ethnic Rom.

In 2009, the Government of the Republic of Macedonia took measures to enlarge inclusion of Roma in the education process.[3]

The Republic of Macedonia is the region's leader in respecing the rights of the Roma people. It is the first country in the region with a minister of Roma ethnicity and also has a lot of Roma's in high government positions. However, there has still a lot to be done in the spheres of education and integration of the Roma.[4]

References

  1. ^ http://www.romnews.com/community/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=260
  2. ^ http://europeandcis.undp.org/uploads/public/File/rbec_web/vgr/chapter1.1.pdf
  3. ^ Government of the Republic of Macedonia
  4. ^ Makfax
Advertisements

Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message