Ruislip-Northwood within Middlesex in 1961
|1911/1931 area||6,585 acres (26.6 km2)|
|1961 area||6,584 acres (26.6 km2)|
|Succeeded by||London Borough of Hillingdon|
- 1911 density
- 1931 density
- 1961 density
|Governance||Ruislip-Northwood Urban District Council|
The urban district council consisted of nine councillors in 1904 and by 1920 there were 15.
The district experienced a sharp rise in population, from 6,217 in 1911 to 72,791 in 1961, caused by the Metroland railway expansion and suburban house building. Consequentially, the district was the one of the first in England to devise a statutory planning scheme in 1914, following the Housing and Town Planning Act 1909.
A coat of arms was granted in 1937 and is described as argent, a hurst of oak-trees proper growing out of a grassy mount, and above them a roundel azure charged with a star of five points or; on a chief gules a silver mitre between two fleurs-de-lis or.