From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rumney (Welsh: Tredelerch) is a district in the east of the city of Cardiff, Wales. It lies east of the River Rhymney, and is historically part of
Monmouthshire. On 1 April 1938
the Cardiff Extension Act 1937 incorporated it into the county borough of
Cardiff, and thus it became
associated with the geographical county of Glamorgan.
This is a predominately residential area with a variety of
social and private housing. There are many shopping outlets on
Newport Road as well as local shops at the top of Rumney Hill and
on Wentloog Road, Countisbury Avenue in Llanrumney also. New
Industrial & Business Estates have been developed alongside
existing ones on Lamby Way providing welcome employment
opportunities for many residents in Cardiff.
Within the older sectors of the Rumney area are places of
interest, such as the historic Rumney Pottery which is still in use
today and also the remains of the old Rumney Castle which was a
major stronghold on the South Wales coast. The remains of the
castle were excavated in the late 70s and early 80s. An old quarry
which is now being used as a children's park is situated off Ty
Mawr Road (Ty Mawr - Welsh language for "Big House")
The area is on Cardiff Bus' 44/45 routes between Cardiff
central bus station and St Mellons and the 49/50 routes to Llanrumney. It is also
served by the 30 service to Newport bus station.
The electoral ward of lies within the parliamentary constituency of Cardiff
South and Penarth. It is bounded by the electoral wards of Pontprennau & Old St.
Mellons to the north; Trowbridge to the east; Splott to the southwest; Penylan to the west; and Llanrumney to the northwest.
Coordinates: 51°30′32″N 3°07′57″W / 51.50895°N