The Full Wiki

S-25 Berkut: Wikis

Advertisements
  
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The S-25 Berkut (Russian: С-25 «Беркут»; "Berkut" means golden eagle in English) is a surface-to-air guided missile, the first operational SAM system in the world. Its NATO reporting name is SA-1 Guild. It was used only to defend Moscow, while the more mobile S-75 (SA-2 Guideline) would be used in almost all other roles. Other names include the R-113 (?), B-200 (SAM targeting radar), A-11/A-12 (antennas for B-200), and V-300 (a SAM); S-25 is for Systema 25, referring to the system as a whole.

Contents

History

Development of the S-25 was authorized on 9 August 1950 by a decision of USSR and was appended by Stalin: (We have to get the missile for air defense in a year). The system was assigned to design to SB-1 (Special Bureau №1).

The initial design included:

  • E\F band A-100 "Kama" radar based in two concentric rings; a near ring - 25-30 km from Moscow, and a far ring, approximately 200-250 km from Moscow, for early warning and target detection.
  • B-200 missile targeting radars, deployed in two rings.
  • V-300 SAMs deployed around the B-200 radars.
  • G-400 Interceptor aircraft. These were Tu-4 with G-300 (izdelie 210, downsized version of V-300 with aerial launch) missiles.
  • Possibly, Tu-4 based AWACS aircraft D-500.

The implementation was assigned to the Third Main Agency, which was specially created, by the Soviet of Ministers of the USSR. SB-1 was converted to KB-1 (Design Bureau №1) headed by P.N.Kuksenko and S.L.Beria. Some captured German specialists were concentrated in department №38 of KB-1.

Test range trials of the first experimental system were conducted in January 1952. These tests led to the removal of the air based components of the Berkut system (G-400/G-300 and G-500).

The construction of ground infrastructure (designed by the Moscow division of Lengiprostroy, V.I.Rechkin) was done from 1953 through 1955 at 50 km and 90 km ranges from Moscow. There were about 2000 km of roads built by prisoners.

After the death of Stalin and arrest of L.P.Beria (the head of Soviet police and security, and the father of S.L.Beria) in June 1953, the KB-1 was reorganized and headed by Raspletin. The Third Main Agency was converted to Glavspetsmash and included into the Ministry of Medium Machine Building. The name Berkut was changed to Systema 25.

The first combat elements of S-25 were delivered to the military in 1954. In March 1954 most sites were being prepared for the installation of the missiles and launchers. The final tests were completed in the beginning of 1955. The first batteries entered service on 7 May 1955. The system entered combat duty in June 1956. After the system have entered service some parts of Glavspetsmash (Glavspetsmontazh and Glavspetsmash) were disbanded, the KB-1 was transferred to the Ministry of Defense Industries.

In order to utilize the S-25 system, there was Separate Army of Special Purposes of Air Defense Forces of the Land created in Moscow district of Air Defense under the command of general-colonel K.Kazakov in the spring of 1955.

There were a number of improvements to the initial design during the exploitation of S-25. The latest modernized S-25M was retired in 1982 and replaced with S-300P air defense complexes.

Surface-to-air Missile Complex S-25

The parts of the S-25 were designed in parallel. Some grounds were created at the Kapustin Yar test range to support the development of S-25:

  • №30 - technical position to prepare missiles
  • №31 - living rooms of servicemen
  • №32 - V-300 launcher
  • №33 - B-200 radar

The first tests of S-25 in full control mode were started 2 November 1952 (using radar-simulated target). The tests against parachute targets were done in the beginning of 1953. Tu-4 drones were used for moving target tests from 26 April to 18 May 1953. There were 81 launches during trials from 18 September 1952 to 18 May 1953. Additional tests were done in September-October 1953 against Il-28 and Tu-4 drones.

The decision of the government to build a full scale S-25 complex at the Kapustin Yar was made in January 1954. The complex was sampled for the state trials 25 June 1954. The trials were conducted from 1 October 1954 to 1 April 1955 and included 69 launches at Il-28 and Tu-4 drones (including simultaneous launch of 20 missiles at 20 targets). The complex was capable to fire at 20 targets with 1 or 2 missiles simultaneously having up to 60 missiles ready to launch. The startup time was 5 minutes (for 18 target channels).

There were 56 S-25 series-built complexes manufactured and deployed around the Moscow area, plus one series-built and one experimental deployed at the Kapustin Yar test range.

Advertisements

B-200 Missile Targeting Radar

Each site was equipped with a B-200 guidance system, including a track-while-scan radar (designated Yo-Yo by US intelligence). The system also incorporated fire control equipment which enabled each site to engage as many as 10 targets simultaneously, each with two missiles.

The B-200 radar prototype was tested in the middle of 1950.

Surface-to-air Missile V-300

The first V-300 missile was fired 25 July 1951 at the Kapustin Yar test range.

The missile, which went by a variety of names depending on the version, used a single liquid-fueled rocket motor. Although its maximum speed was on the order of Mach 2.5, it had a low initial velocity which limited its engagement capability against supersonic targets. Its maximum intercept range varied depending upon the approach and type of target; against a directly incoming, high-flying B-52 its range was on the order of 30 km. The missile carried a large warhead of 200-320 kg (450-700 pounds), and its lethal radius was estimated to be 20-35 m (65-120 feet). It was believed to be capable of interceptions from a minimum altitude of 900 m (3,000 feet) up to 18,000 m (60,000 feet), with some additional capability up to about 24,000 m (80,000 feet), particularly if equipped with a nuclear warhead.

Operators

 Soviet Union
 North Korea - 72 delivered in 1961[1]

References

  1. ^ History of the KPAF (in Russian), airwar.ru

Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message