|Name:||SS City of Adelaide|
|Owner:||Australasian Steam Navigation Company, Melbourne (1863-1887)
British India & Queensland Agency Ltd, Sydney (1887)
Australasian United Steam Navigation Company, London (1887-1890)
W. A. Ritchie, Sydney (1890-1895)
G. J. Robertson, Sydney (1895-1902)
Howard Smith Company, Melbourne (1902-1915)
George Butler, Townsville (1915-)
|Builder:||J & G Thomson, Govan|
|Launched:||22 December 1863|
|Out of service:||1912|
|Fate:||Caught fire in 1912
Purchased for scuttling in 1915
Ran aground in 1916
|Type:||Passenger-Cargo Steamship (1863-1890)
Barque (1890 onwards)
tonnage (NT) of 615 tons
838 GRT (1863)
Net tonnage (NT) of 824 tons
1,212 GRT (1871)
|Length:||251.4 feet (76.6 m) (1863)
252.8 feet (77.1 m) (1871)
|Beam:||28.3 feet (8.6 m)|
|Draft:||16.6 feet (5.1 m)|
|Reason for loss:||Fire|
|Wreck depth:||2 meters|
The City of Adelaide was a passenger steam ship launched in 1863 in Glasgow, Scotland. The vessel was later converted to a Barque for use as a cargo transport. In 1912 the vessel was gutted by fire, and in 1916 the burnt hulk was run aground in Cockle Bay, Magnetic Island, Australia. During the Second World War four people were killed in a training accident when a RAAF aircraft struck the masts of the vessel.
Launched on 22 December 1863, the SS City of Adelaide was commissioned for the Australasian Steam Navigation Company and built in Govan, Glasgow by J & G Thomson. The vessel ran regular passenger services between several destinations including Melbourne, Sydney, Honolulu and San Francisco. Having undergone a refit in 1871 the vessel operated for a further 14 years before being retired from service in 1885. Following the merger of the Australasian Steam Navigation Company with the Queensland Steamship Company, in 1887, City of Adelaide continued in service with the successor company Australasian United Steam Navigation Company.
She was sold in 1890 to W. A. Ritchie, of Sydney, and was converted to a four masted barque by removing her boilers and engines. In 1895 the barque was sold onto G J Robertson of Sydney. In 1902 the vessel was purchased by Howard Smith Company of Townsville and used as a hulk for the storage of coal. In 1912 the vessel caught fire and burnt for a number of days before flames could be extinguished. The burnt hulk of the vessel was then purchased in 1915, by George Butler, the son of the first European resident of Magentic Island. Butler had the hull stripped, and an attempt was made to float the vessel to Picnic Bay where it would be scuttled to provide a breakwater for a jetty. However, as the vessel was being transported it ran aground off Cockle Bay.
During World War II the wreck of the vessel was used as a practice target by bomber pilots from the nearby Garbutt Airfield. On October 22nd 1942, six Royal Australian Air Force Bristol Beaufort bombers of 100 Squadron were participating in a coordinated mock torpedo attack on Townsville Harbour followed by a coordinated practice bombing of the wreck of the SS City of Adelaide. Following a successful mock attack on Townsville Harbour, the six bombers climbed to approximately 1,000 ft and proceeded in a vee formation towards Cockle Bay. Several of the aircraft dived upon the wreck in a bombing run, during which one of the aircraft appeared to strike one of the masts of the sunken vessel, before crashing into the shallow ocean approximately 700 meters from the vessel. The plane's fuselage disintegrated on impact instantly killing three RAAF officers and a US Navy Officer aboard.
On Christmas Eve 1971 Cyclone Althea struck the coast of northern Queensland near Magnetic Island, causing the partial collapse of part of the wreck's iron hull. The sunken hull of the vessel has become an artificial island hosting a variety of plant and bird life approximately 300 meters offshore of Cockle Bay.